Hi All,

so far I've learned how to use the CDU to

• build flight plans
  • review waypoint information
  • add waypoints based on JTAC data
  • divert to get airfield info
  • create waypoints based on offset data
  • initiate in-flight alignment procedure

If I wanted to get a bit more fussy about it and learn other bits it has to offer in DCS, what else could I accomplish toying with the CDU?

The markpoint system is a very useful tool too. It lets you pre-set multiple targets, improves your tactical picture on the TAD, allows you to set up a framework of reference navigation points , and anything else you can dream up.

It is a great idea to search for the tutorial videos on Youtube, read the documentation floating out there in virtual squadron wesites, and dig out the real world handbooks on the A-10C.

I've been flying it for years, and I still find out new stuff, especially relating the the CDU almost every time I fly with other guys on our squadron.

The markpoint system is a very useful tool too.

Yeah I sort of forgot to include this one in my "known" list.

As to the videos I've watched a ton.

Virtual squadron websites I've browsed a few, some very nice documents to find there by amazingly involved people. I might keep digging further into this.

Now about real world A-10 handbooks. I've found stuff, but I can't recall detailed documentation about the workings of the CDU. If someone could give me the name of one of those handbooks I could A: check if I have it already, and if so read it with heightened attention level or B: search the Interwebs with a proper keyword.

* Map/check key binds to keyboard/numpad for fast data entry instead of mouse clicking, especially the LSKs and Page up/Page down.

* Set new bullseye to predefined point/navaid/wp

* Show bullseye on HUD for fast reference

* Can use WP number instead of name of WP for building flight plan

* Show GS on MFD CDU repeater for taxi speed/NWS disengage

An extension of imagination, we used to create waypoint lines that marked opsboxes on the TAD so you can tell if you are straying into some area or are in an area rather than nowhere in particular.

Building on that you can draw animals on your TAD and play guessing games on what the dot to dot is.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Cool. Am I right thinking this helps "smart" weapon delivery accuracy?

No, the wind compensation is accounted for in smart weapons without any CDU input because the weapon is guiding itself onto a point on the ground either illuminated by laser, seen by a built in camera, or using a GPS system for guidance.

The wind correction entry in the CDU only affects dumb weapons.

Gun cross occult.....[ame]

[/ame]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

The wind correction entry in the CDU only affects dumb weapons.

Okay. So it adjusts the CCIP/CCRP solution accordingly, I guess? I mean, because these bombs are "dumb", something must be going on in the IFFCC.

Gun cross occult....

Yeah. I knew that. I also don't see how this relates to the CDU... :)

The CDU calculates the impact point of the weapon given your current position, altitude, speed, and using the wind data you enter. The data is then projected onto the HUD by way of the aiming point reticule, which you as a pilot simply place onto the target, pickle and release hell fire and divine retribution on your enemy's ass.

Okay. So it adjusts the CCIP/CCRP solution accordingly, I guess? I mean, because these bombs are "dumb", something must be going on in the IFFCC.

Yeah. I knew that. I also don't see how this relates to the CDU... :)

It doesn't. It looked like you were looking to expand your knowledge of the A10C. My mistake. I hope you didn't waste any time watching the video.....those are precious heartbeats you'll never get back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Add wind data in the LASTE panel. Not too difficult, just check briefing for wind at the different altitudes and put them in.

Isn't it a bit more complicated than that though? I thought the wind info given in the briefings wasn't set up properly for the A10. I think the metric units need to be converted to U.S. and the wind direction needs to be changed also. Altitude needs to be converted from meters to feet, m/s converted to knots and the wind direction given in the briefing is actually 180 degrees from what the CDU needs. If you have the Enemy Within campaign you can see that Baltic Dragon has made these conversions and put them into his briefings. I think this info is correct but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't it a bit more complicated than that though? I thought the wind info given in the briefings wasn't set up properly for the A10. I think the metric units need to be converted to U.S. and the wind direction needs to be changed also. Altitude needs to be converted from meters to feet, m/s converted to knots and the wind direction given in the briefing is actually 180 degrees from what the CDU needs. If you have the Enemy Within campaign you can see that Baltic Dragon has made these conversions and put them into his briefings. I think this info is correct but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Googledoc LASTE CDU Wind Correction created by Bunyap Sims for converting wind data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rTUQqJYqq3yHsXjxUMA6MVvxgfI8nudMf8Nw95V2Mqk/edit#gid=0

Video where he describes it:

[ame]

[/ame]

Wow thanks for all the replies.

It looked like you were looking to expand your knowledge of the A10C.

Always happy to learn new stuff and I appreciate you providing with info.

SAM triangulation (with RWR)

Wow, that's new. Need to check this out.

Googledoc LASTE CDU Wind Correction created by Bunyap Sims for converting wind data.

Very handy, thanks! I think I'll start entering winds more often.