DCS Vietnam by Leatherneck Sims? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy_99 View Post
I think Normandy is far more important for the ww2 units they really dont fit well in the current map, I would not mind seeing a Vietnam map after tho for sure whos making it who knows? I thought LNS already had a couple of maps already planned? Vietnam is not one of them, I thought a Pacific map and one for the F-14?
Yes, as I said 2 comments above

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
addde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
Sigh... Leatherneck has done/doing ZERO Vietnam era birds so far, and their next planned aircraft is F4U Corsair, and they had shown signs that they will realize a Pacific theater slowly.

Razbam intents to make MiG-19 yes, but A-6 and A-7 they will make are very much post Vietnam, and that is good as more 70s and 80s or 90s scenarios are becoming a possibility. Post Vietnam versions fit nicely to this.

If someone makes an F-4 and its not a late 70s or even 80s version, it would be a shame.

I find it interesting people scream about DCS needing focus, but then turn around and ask for Vietnam. Basically, an aircraft from Vietnam era would be an "orphan module" as people like to call it.

I am happy that so far LN has created niche and interesting aircraft. MiG-21Bis and AJS 37 has been two aircraft I always wanted. While I am not that interested in Tomcat, it is an obvious superstar for a great many people, so is the Corsair.

I hope Leatherneck and other devs will keep creating interesting modules from all eras and all parts of the world, rather than caving into such requests of "do exclusively what is important (as in what personally like)!".

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
The F14 was deployed in Vietnam at the very end altho it didnt see any combat
addde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
NeilWillis
Veteran

The Vietnam era is a thing definitely, but why Leatherneck in particular?

It would ideally be released as a package with something like an Phantom (well we can hope), so whoever has the resources, and a suitable project regardless of which team that might be.

Hopefully once 2.5 is established as the platform going forwards, we ought to see new maps following in it's wake.

Would we all be happy to pay more for airframes with a packaged map? I know I would.

It does however bring up a thorny issue for multiplayer server providers. These maps will prove to be expensive to host in the medium and long term, so some concessions for server use might be well worth considering too?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
cthulhu68

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
No Vietnam in sight, at least not from LNS.
Didn't know Iwo Jima was probably or certainly a map they are working on. I guess are only hope is if Belsimtek is silently working on a Vietnam map.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
NeilWillis
Veteran

I understand no one is currently working on maps outside ED. Until ED have released 2.5, there wouldn't be much point. I believe they are all still waiting for the developers tools, which will not be finalized until after 2.5 has been fully implemented?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #16
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

The actual Theatre status:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

ED:
NTTR release with 1st expansion (hope to 2nd expansion with NTC)
Normandy on progress
Caucasus T4 conversion on progress
Straight of Hormuz on progress
4th Theatre (unknown) on progress

Leatherneck
AJS-37 Theatre planned (Baltic / Sweden)
F-14A Theatre planed (oceanic)
F8-U Iwo Jima planned

VEAO
Duxford (test map) on hold
Mach Loop – Welsh Valleys on hold
North Africa – Tobruk on hold

None Vetnam / Korea, etc confirmed.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
WinterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by addde View Post
The F14 was deployed in Vietnam at the very end altho it didnt see any combat
Not exactly. Technically yes, the F-14 itself did get deployed at the closing scenes and didn't see combat.

Problem is, this was in like 1975 or so. Leatherneck stated that they will do a mid 80s F-14A and mid 90s F-14B, so their earliest version will be a decaded younger than Vietnam birds, and would have a decades worth of improvements.

Even then, if we had the earliest Tomcat available too, their involvement in Vietnam War was barely a footnote.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
addde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
Not exactly. Technically yes, the F-14 itself did get deployed at the closing scenes and didn't see combat.

Problem is, this was in like 1975 or so. Leatherneck stated that they will do a mid 80s F-14A and mid 90s F-14B, so their earliest version will be a decaded younger than Vietnam birds, and would have a decades worth of improvements.

Even then, if we had the earliest Tomcat available too, their involvement in Vietnam War was barely a footnote.
All true but come on, what upgrades did the f14a recieve between 1974 and 1985? Basically none (feel free to correct me because i am not 100% sure on the upgrade program of the early f14). Apart from the removal of the glove vains and the crappy IRST some had in the beginning.
addde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
I understand no one is currently working on maps outside ED. Until ED have released 2.5, there wouldn't be much point. I believe they are all still waiting for the developers tools, which will not be finalized until after 2.5 has been fully implemented?
AFAIK LNS has a team dedicated to map creation in Poland, but I don't know what their current status is.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
Kev2go

tbh it doesnt matter if we dont have the exact iddity bitty variants. Mig21Bis is close enough to the Vietnam war in terms of year ( and even performance), at least for late nam circa 1972 Operation Linebacker.

taking into considering that in 1972 the North Vietnamese did receive & operate the Mig21MF ( all pilots of the 921st squadron)

There really isnt much difference between the MF and the Bis except, that the bis has a slightly higher fuel capacity, and a more powerfull R300 tumansky engine. The MF still uses the same RP22 saphir radar, and the Spo 10 RWR. it has same amount of hardpoints and still could use all the same ordinance the BIS could.

Similiarily there is not much difference between the early 70s F4E phantom ( wing slatted) with a late 70s version except for a newer RWR ( IP1310/ALR i believe) and newer added ECM flare/chaff dispenser suite. There is no exact information on which varaints the A6 being made.. with the A7 they just said they were aiming for eiter a D (USAF) and/or E ( US navy) versions, which did actually see use in late part of the Vietnam war, and did take part in Operation Linebacker

Also to note we do have the F5E tiger 2. South vietnam got the F5A's but again was also one of the first customers of the F-5E. Granted this would have been the F5E-1 without a RWR, and a with the weaker An/APQ 153 radar, but, meh, close enough.

So We are not that far away from Vietnam in terms of aircraft as some would like others to believe.

Build:

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Nctua NH14S ),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsing evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 02-23-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Kev2go is online now   Reply With Quote