Sound Files for Trigger Actions

michelip

Hi michelip,

If you watch my latest walk-through video HERE I show the triggers and play the sound file showing the steps in a mission. This is the same place you open and select the sound file you want to play. The editor will copy it into the .miz file when you save it.

The best file format to use is .ogg

You can record the pc or voice using the free Audacity, modify / distort and export to .ogg file.

Have a play with the software.

Here's a good video to get an idea what you can do in Audacity.

I hopefully will do a quick basic video on this soon in a simple mission.

SOUND TO ALL. The Sound action enables you to add an audio file to play as a trigger function. This is often used in conjunction with a Message action to add voice messages with subtitles to the mission. Once selected, a FILE field will be displayed along with an OPEN button. Press the open button and then use the file/folder browser to select the desired file (.wav or .OGG formats). The name of the audio file will then be displayed in the FILE field.

Read more about sound actions in the manual page 93.

DCS User Manual EN.pdf

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta (Stable)\Doc

Edit.

Here is some chatter you can download and test with.

Just place it in a folder C:\Sound Files\

To make it easy to find once in the DCS editor.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You can also use another trigger - calle Radio Transmission, which then is tied to a given frequency for more realism. If that is what you're looking for, let me know, happy to write up a short tutorial.

Sorry for butting in on someones thread but the subject is relevant for me. I have tried the radio frequency with mixed success so if you wouldnt mind I would appreciate any info from you on the matter. I wonder to what extend I could mix my own soundfiles with use with the radio. I see in trigger options you can use some lua options or scripts and I dont know what that could be. Would be awsome if certain cockpit buttons could function as activators. Thanks.

The short answer is yes but it's a pretty significant undertaking.

Step one is to open the model viewer and note which argument corresponds to which switch. Then note which values correspond to the desired switch position.

Armed with that information, you can then create a trigger that checks for the COCKPIT ARGUMENT WITHIN RANGE condition that corresponds to the desired switch position.

That condition can then trigger a RADIO TRANSMISSON action. You will be presented with a menu to choose the source of the transmission, its power, and to include subtitles and a sound file.

DCS supports .wav and .ogg files, the latter of which is the smaller of the two.

Yep,

Would be awsome if certain cockpit buttons could function as activators. Thanks.

That's a bit advanced to get into right now. For now you can use the interactive in game radio menu (Other) to set flag numbers to on and off to play sounds (The flag number is up to you and to keep track of).

See me add a radio item (Set Flag) to the menu here to turn the AI to weapons free in a dogfight.

Or

If you understand the trigger system a little? It's easier to align trigger zones, or group alive, or ..............etc. on a flight path with flag(s) that turn on to make a sound file play when needed throughout a mission.

The player will need to understand what to do (What's the frequency?) in the briefing file. Or help? the player know what to do and when.... Example is to play a (sound to all) first (Beep) then use text to remind them.

Player in Trigger Zone (Radio Zone 1)

(Action) FLAG ON 10

(Action) SOUND TO ALL. Beep, chirp etc (Get there attention)

(Action) MESSAGE TO ALL = Text (Remember to Set frequency 135.000 MHz to listen in on Reaper) Most Hog pilots will know which radio it is base on the said frequency range.

New trigger, (condition) TIME SINCE FLAG 10 = (20) seconds

Action = RADIO TRANSMISSON

RADIO TRANSMISSION. Allows the user to define a sound file to play and the transmitter's location, emission power, frequency and modulation.

Now lets look at what radio's say.....the A-10C has and the range of them.

Snippets taken from the A-10C Manual

AN/ARC-186(V) VHF AM Radio 1 Control Panel (Top)

The VHF/AM (Radio 1) transmits and receives between 116.00 and 151.975 MHz. If the radio is tuned to a frequency outside the valid range, a warning tone will be heard.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AN/ARC-164 UHF Radio Control Panel (Center)

The UHF radio has 20 preset channels (PRESET) and the ability to manually enter a channel frequency (MNL). The frequency range runs from 225.000 to 399.975 MHz.

During most missions, you will communicate with your flight using this radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AN/ARC-186(V) VHF FM Radio 2 Control Panel (Bottom)

This radio operates like Radio 1, but is assigned the VHF FM radio frequency range. The VHF/FM operates between 30.000 and 76.000 MHz. If the radio is tuned to a frequency outside the valid range, a warning tone will be heard.

In most missions, Radio 2 will be used to communicate with JTAC units.

Will do a video soon with a few different radio combinations you can use.

Edit.

Video is now up and you can also download and have a play with this mission and sound files.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link