Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Echo179

I'm running a GTX 1080, and an Intel i5 4690k @4.5ghz with 16gb of ram, driving an Oculus Rift.

I normally get around 45fps, until I get a bunch of assets in the game.

I'm debating where I should focus my upgrade efforts. The CPU is a great performer in just about everything I throw at it, but I know I'm a few generations behind now. So I was thinking of either a new Ryzen or Intel build, but that's gonna be spendy, as I'll need a new mobo and ram as well.

On the GPU side, I was looking at either a used 1080ti, or a 2080.

Where should I focus my efforts, primarily for DCS?

Do you have smooth play in 45 FPS? If you do, you dont need to upgrade anything IMO. I play with 60-70 FPS and game runs pretty well and smooth...in some heavy missions, FPS drops to 40-50, but even then my DCS is running well.

Almost every settings on "max".

i7 6820 HK, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1070 8 GB, 480GB ADATA GAMMIX SSD.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Do you have smooth play in 45 FPS? If you do, you dont need to upgrade anything IMO. I play with 60-70 FPS and game runs pretty well and smooth...in some heavy missions, FPS drops to 40-50, but even then my DCS is running well.

If you're getting that performance on a 1070, maybe I need to be looking at the CPU option. I'll drop down to the teens at even slightly congested air fields.

Where should I focus my efforts, primarily for DCS?

Rather than guess, I suggest its better to monitor the system while running DCS, using a tool like MSI Afterburner, that can measure cpu and gpu utilization while you play dcs. Here is a good tutorial on how to set it up:

nx33qsSn6ZI

My feeling is that your cpu is probably still good, as in dcs it is mostly the single core speed the deciding factor .. most newer cpus attain higher benchmark scores than yours only because the have more cores, something that it’s irrelevant for DCS

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Rather than guess, I suggest its better to monitor the system while running DCS, using a tool like MSI Afterburner, that can measure cpu and gpu utilization while you play dcs. Here is a good tutorial on how to set it up.

Afterburner/RTSS don't work in VR.

The best utility I've come across to monitor GPU/CPU usage in VR with an overlay is fpsVR. It's on Steam and is cheap!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1080 and 4.5ghz is really only one step under the best combo for dcs vr.

I would hold off and see what the vr optimizations bring over the next few months

Maybe try for a slightly higher overclock on the CPU and overclock the gfx a bit if you haven't explored those routes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DCS loves CPU speed vs. core count. Water cooling and overclocking the CPU would serve you well. I run a seriously overclocked 1080ti and am able to crank up the eye candy pretty high. Yet I still will drop to 45 FPS in areas of high graphical demand in DCS. If it can’t hold 90 it will go to 45. I thought there was going to be some sort of performance gain with 2.5 but that never seemed to happen.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Wow! I can't get anywhere near that, and my system is a step or two above yours. I think you must have a magic box to get those numbers in VR!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I play with 60-70 FPS and game runs pretty well and smooth...in some heavy missions, FPS drops to 40-50, but even then my DCS is running well. Almost every settings on "max".

Are you sure you have these numbers in VR?

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

How much is your fps? And I dont use VR.

Eh, this is the ‘Virtual Reality’ forum!

Better upgrade to a 1080 ti, i think it brings you more fps then upgrade your cpu, i upgraded from i6600k 4,5 ghz to a 8700k 4,8 ghz and was disappointed, when i upgraded from the 1080 to the 1080 ti it brings me more fps.