VR head moves through closed Cockpit

71st_Mastiff

Instant mission Normandy; Spitfire DogFight,

while in VR I can move my head in and out of a closed cockpit.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

VR is only restricted by the length of your cable and the size of your room. If a 6DOF limit were coded, we wouldn't be able to stick our head out with the canopy open.

Umm I wasn’t able to move my head outside before now I can, it used to stop right at the window I’ve been doing vr for over a year now and this update allows you’re head to go through a closed cockpit, where as it didn’t before.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

My headset (rift s) has always allowed me to stick my head through the closed canopy. I rather wish this would be resolved. I like the limit off though when the canopy is open, as it allows me to stick my head out when S-turning on the ground

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

VR is not same thing as TrackIR.

Rule no:1 with VR is that DO NOT CHANGE VIEW UNLESS PLAYER HEAD MOVES!

You get extremely quickly balance problems when your body says that you are doing something and then visually you do something else.

You can even sometimes experience it when suddenly DCS does something that just freezes your screen in VR, and no matter how small movement you were doing, it comes as huge surprise and you almost lose your balance at least for a moment before you realize that DCS has frozen.

Now you would want that with each time your head collides with the canopy? Good luck for that...

There are other means to fix that, it is that you apply some kind filter, like serious "blinders" or you make screen black and white, you can even start blurring the view. Such things will guide player to put head back to gaming area.

But how realistic is that?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

VR user since last March, and never had movement limits in the Spitfire.

Additionally, when the VR headset stops moving while you are still moving your head, that tells you that the tracking has become lost, and the headset needs to be recentered. It's also disorienting and a little sickening. I wouldn't want that red herring built into any modules.

• 3 weeks later...

This has always been the case for me in VR in this game. IL-2 has found a nice solution to this problem. They will always keep your head inside the cockpit and make you unable to move it beyond the canopy if it is closed. If it is open you can stick head out just fine, which is nice for taxiing.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

• 2 weeks later...

Very complex replies that don't address the problem; a pilot's head should be a collision with a closed cockpit. Not impossible, in VR or otherwise. Kills immersion, especially when twisting around. The sound changes when the head breaks the plane of the glass, so it has the limits coded, just not applied to view.

This has always been the case for me in VR in this game. IL-2 has found a nice solution to this problem. They will always keep your head inside the cockpit and make you unable to move it beyond the canopy if it is closed. If it is open you can stick head out just fine, which is nice for taxiing.

Fine to have nausea. You move your head ans this are not going accordingly to this move... How can you like this feature ?

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Fine to have nausea. You move your head ans this are not going accordingly to this move... How can you like this feature ?
It's really not bad, doesnt cause nausea, or very little.

VR head limits is something that should absolutely be added, when the canopy is closed.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

It's really not bad, doesnt cause nausea, or very little.

VR head limits is something that should absolutely be added, when the canopy is closed.

"...doesnt cause nausea, or very little." Maybe for you. Others might get more problems

A hard headmovement limit is absolutely wrong.

DCS is able to recognize when the head is outside of the canopy, as the sound changes, when this happens. I think blurry vision, if the players head is a few cm outside the cockpit would be a good compromise.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Well if you do get nausea very easily, then that's a better deterrent to not press your virtual forehead against the canopy. Hard limit is the way to go. Anything else won't cut it, and will break immersion even more than the original problem if anything.

Umm I wasn’t able to move my head outside before now I can, it used to stop right at the window I’ve been doing vr for over a year now and this update allows you’re head to go through a closed cockpit, where as it didn’t before.

Game never had this feature. I’ve been able to go as far as walking out on the wing with my Headset on.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Game never had this feature. I’ve been able to go as far as walking out on the wing with my Headset on.

Except one can no longer walk on wing as planes, vehicles, and others became clip thru since .6 update. Why? I loved to exit and walk on the wing, especially since you could jump up on it as well, which lends itself to getting *into* the AC one day. Why?

Edited by wuffman

I'll also add it gives an unfair advantage to VR players over conventional players. I can stick my head put the canopy to check my six in a 109. In straight and level flight, you shouldn't be able to check a significant area of your six. In the 109, with VR, I can stand up straight through the canopy and turn around in place to look behind me

• 1 year later...

According to a poll of 65 participants so far in a forum I don't know if I should link (but from a flight game that already has head limits for VR), 90.77% of VR users will not feel nauseous from head limits ever, 3.08% only feel it once an hour, and 4.62% 2-3 times an hour.  1.54% get nauseous 10-11 times per flight hour with the limits.

For cases of nausea per every interaction with the head limits, 90.77% say they never feel nausea at all, and 1.54% each for 0-10% of interactions they feel nausea, 10-20% of interactions, 20-30, 50-60, 80-90, and 90-99%.

Due to limits of the poll, the next one are combo answers (two in one etc).  The question reads: Do you feel that the head restrictions add immersion to the aircraft, and helps you feel restrained as the real pilots did? Would you prefer the limits be removed or changed? Does the realistic restriction on SA effect your choice?

The answers are 38.46% for immersed/satisfied with head limits, 44.62% for immersed/desire changes to some aircrafts' limits however, 4.62% for immersed/happier with them off, 3.08% for not immersed/satisfied (for cheating and unlimited SA prevention), 3.08% for not immersed/desire changes to some aircrafts' limits, 3.08% for not immersed/always want them off, 1.54% for indifferent/happy with cheat prevention, and a final 1.54% that's indifferent altogether.

How about a tickbox that makes it an option? If a cockpit boundary is enforced in VR, I'm in the ~8% that would get nauseous and have to shelve the product I spent a not-insignificant amount of money on. I don't understand why people have to make things so binary. Moderation/win-win solution is not a difficult concept to grasp. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

How about a tickbox that makes it an option? If a cockpit boundary is enforced in VR, I'm in the ~8% that would get nauseous and have to shelve the product I spent a not-insignificant amount of money on. I don't understand why people have to make things so binary. Moderation/win-win solution is not a difficult concept to grasp. 

Thats what happens in the other sim, you have it on or off with a tick box, your choice and also the server host choice, it should be implemented into DCS

This made me smile, and sorry...

There is an active thread about confining the mouse in VR... and that is just 2d 🤣

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

Because the option for server operators to enforce this unnecessary waste of time will be used. Most servers are run by flat earthers that imagine VR is some sort of elitist advantage.

Only regret lies down this road, for everyone involved. 

ED should not consider anything remotely related to this bad idea.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• ED Team

It is something we have discussed internally, but at the moment we do not want to restrict the head movement due to the effect it has on some with motion sickness.

Something that has been mentioned was a blur effect if the head leaves the cockpit, but this is just discussion currently.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Game absolutely needs head limits for closed canopy. It is implemented just fine in the other sim.

I should be an option for single player just like any other realism setting and enforceable by server admins.

For those worried about nausea the simple solution is to... not put your head through the canopy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Something that has been mentioned was a blur effect if the head leaves the cockpit, but this is just discussion currently.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Stick your head out and instantly go hypoxic. Fuzzy, black and gray. Still enough 1:1 movement to prevent motion sickness, but nothing is clear enough to maintain SA. 

Edited by Nealius