manual Prop pitch doesn't work - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Captain Gordon

Reputation power: 1
Captain Gordon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy manual Prop pitch doesn't work

I'm new to DCS and can only get the old 109K off the ground 10% of the time. I have no pedals so the torque is tough to fight.

I found out how to put Governor into manual and eventually found the button on the throttle BUT no matter what I do, clicking away, the pitch doesn't change. The dial functions in flight automatically (those rare times I can take off).

Any advice as I really need to reduce torque on take off (probably landing too)
Captain Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
amazingme

Reputation power: 6
amazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, and welcome to DCS!
Where should I start.. First of all, you definitely need some rudder pedals for these WWII crates. Second, did you thoroughly read the manual? If not, go to page 48 https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TEzNDU5NzE3NjA
After that, we're here to answer further questions. Cheers!
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, Saitek X55 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 27" monitor, TN panel, 1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Art-J

Reputation power: 17
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

Juts for the record, the same pdf manual can be found in "Doc" folder of the Messershmitt (applies to all DCS modules and their respective manuals).

Also, @ amazingme, page 48 won't help him, because it doesn't explain why the switch on the throttle doesn't work for him.

@OP - If the "dial functions automatically", that can only mean you didn't actually switch the prop governor to manual mode. Make sure the governor switch is flipped properly - easy to tell already on the ground - if the pitch gauge reacts to the throttle button (also with distinctive noise) - it's in manual allright, if it doesn't react - it's still in auto.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
saburo_cz

Reputation power: 5
saburo_cz will become famous soon enoughsaburo_cz will become famous soon enoughsaburo_cz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gordon View Post
I'm new to DCS and can only get the old 109K off the ground 10% of the time. I have no pedals so the torque is tough to fight.
(probably landing too)
Switch to ON take off assistance, it will solve your problem with take off and landing. But not help with propeler torque during flight.
And, try to get pedals or joystick with twist asap, it is essential for propeler driven planes.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Captain Gordon

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'd love pedals but budget limitations after just buying the 109K, Normandy and Assets pack . Maybe one day. I have a logitech extreme 3d pro with twist rudder but it's still tricky and I often swerve off the runway and/or the wings tip.

Re the Governor, I flick it forward, press the electric switch on the throttle but nothing - the Luftschraube dial stays resolutely at 12:30

I've even switched the governor to the rear and tried - no movement on the guage. Is there a keyboard option? I can't see one in the settings.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Art-J

Reputation power: 17
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

Do you use "game flight mode" or "game avionics mode" instead of full simulation ones? That's the only thing I can think of, which might cause such a bug.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Captain Gordon

Hi,

I have game and avionics not checked and flight model is 109K real. Still having serious issues taking off, even with take off assistance and auto rudder, I tend seem to lift off and then swerve over to left/ drop wing severely and stall. 1 in 10 take offs over the grass if I'm lucky.

Last edited by Captain Gordon; 07-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
twistking

Reputation power: 2
twistking is on a distinguished road

the 109 has a tendency to overrotate. maybe you have forgotten to trim nose down?
twistking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
razo+r
Veteran

Reputation power: 14
razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gordon View Post
Hi,

I have game and avionics not checked and flight model is 109K real. Still having serious issues taking off, even with take off assistance and auto rudder, I tend seem to lift off and then swerve over to left/ drop wing severely and stall. 1 in 10 take offs over the grass if I'm lucky.
Trim her nose down and make sure you have enough speed when rotating, and don't pull too much when rotating.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
Captain Gordon

Mmmm, I normally do but in the last few attempts this evening after sorting take off assistance and auto rudder I have forgotten to trim the nose (1 or 2?) DOH! I definitely have over-rotated, the climb is too strong and the wing drops and down I go - usually upside down.

Tags
manual, pitch, prop, prop pitch