dear Yo-Yo: feature-request-enhanced ffb

dear devs...and in particular dear Yo-Yo...

i quite like how ffb is implemented in dcs. in general, if it works(you never know) the effects are pretty good implemented...but i think, it there is still room for improvements...

first of all, would it be possible, to have seperate adjustments of trimmer force and shake force for the two different axis? right now, once you set them for 1 axis, its automatically applied to the other one. i think, it could give us an even more realistic feel, if we would be able to adjust the axis seperately for each other, and for example have the trimmer force set to 100 on the elevator, and decrease it to lets assume 70 on the ailerons...

i think this would be awesome. so the question to Yo-Yo...is this possible?

and on an even more advanced level, it would also be awesome, if we would be able to either enable, or disable the different ffb effects, like constant force, custom force, friction, etc within the gui, and preferably, for each axis individually as well... again question to Yo-Yo..is this possible?

i know, i really like ffb in dcs, and right now, i dont think i will ever want to fly without a ffb stick in future...dcs does a good job in this regard, but i think, it could do awesome with these advanced adjustment possibilities for the end user.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have problem with force feedback in latest version? My FF effects completly gone with 1.5.5.60565 even if FF is enabled in options.

Any idea?

I got Saitek Evo Force

High Kwiatek,

I use the Saitek cyborg evo force feedback stick and get on very well with it :joystick:

I use DCS v 1.5 and all the latest updates to it in turn, but I have not had any problems with my FF stick at all; it is all working well I am pleased to say. Sorry you are having problems.

I presume you have tried the old unplug from the electric and the PC and reconnect thing. That is about as technical as I can get, lol.

Perhaps changing the Saitek stick settings will bring it back to life. My stick settings are:

Default gain 100%

Spring gain 60%

Damper gain 100%

Default spring 80%

With default spring checked as always on.

As well as FF enabled on DCS as an overall option, I have set each individual control input at FF 100% (next to axis tune option).

Have you got a second spare Saitek FF stick to test? Perhaps you need to replace the stick. I find that the Saitek FF stick very often comes up on ebay as second hand. I have purchased some FF sticks on ebay that have hardly been used and in mint condition. I have my own second hand stock purchases ready to go at a moments notice in the cupboard, lol. I find that with hard use (almost every day of the week between 2 to 4 hours) the Saitek cyborg evo FF stick will last me 2 or 3 years each one.

I also recommend the Gametrix 908 force feedback jetseat with the Simshaker for Aviators software application (see DCS forum 'Input Output' section threads).

I also use the force feedback headset by eDimensional AudioFX

I think FF brings the aircraft models to life and would not want to be without it.

I hope you can solve your FF problem soon.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Strange is that i got 2 version of DCS and oldest version work ok ( 1.5.3) but newest ( 1.5.5.) dont work with the same settings.

Strange is that as You said Your FF work ok in latest version.

Long shot, but perhaps there is a conflict with 2 different versions of 1.5 on your system. I am not very computer literate, so forgive me if this not an intelligent thought, LOL.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

yes, dcs seems to have implemented the forces weaker than in other "sims".

what i would love is to actually feel some stiffening on the stick if you go really fast, and become conitinously weaker the lower the airspeed gets...but in dcs its the forces are pretty much at their max level at i guess 300kph...there is a file located under dcs/config/ called contactor.cfg, where you actually can adjust the ffb slightly...but unfortunately, i was not able to generally increase the forces...would be interesting whether there are some other files we could adjust to make ffb even better.

yes, dcs seems to have implemented the forces weaker than in other "sims".

what i would love is to actually feel some stiffening on the stick if you go really fast, and become conitinously weaker the lower the airspeed gets...but in dcs its the forces are pretty much at their max level at i guess 300kph...there is a file located under dcs/config/ called contactor.cfg, where you actually can adjust the ffb slightly...but unfortunately, i was not able to generally increase the forces...would be interesting whether there are some other files we could adjust to make ffb even better.

Definitely feel the stiffening difference with the Mig-15. She is such a beast! I think the FF has been done well for the Mig-15.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Strange is that i got 2 version of DCS and oldest version work ok ( 1.5.3) but newest ( 1.5.5.) dont work with the same settings.

Strange is that as You said Your FF work ok in latest version.

Do you use a modification on V 1.5.5 or is it a clean installation? Just a thought.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Do you use a modification on V 1.5.5 or is it a clean installation? Just a thought.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

I updated 2nd version from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5 and also FF gone.

I used updated version in both cases. Tried repair but no changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple of days ago ffb stopped working correctly for me during an offline mission. The force just stiffened up to full and it remained like that...what was obvious though is that dcs is not using the full force the sidewinder can provide at all. During this flight the trim force was probably twice as strong if not even more than what it can usually reach. This is also noticeable when you try other sims...it would be nice if dcs would make proper use of that potential to noticeable stiffen up the controls at really high speeds...please consider to use the full force range the sidewinder can provide. This would greatly enhance the experience even further

• 3 weeks later...

Is there some kind of external software that can enhance the FFB effect? Is that even possible in DCS or am I talking out of my A**?

I have to add that the jets that have proper FFB modeling have MUCH higher force settings than the WWII birds. Im sure this is by design. For example, the Su27 really needs a strong hand to handle properly. Even though it uses servo-mechanical systems that doesn't allow you to feel the forces directly, you really need to push and pull on that stick, and trimming it is really important if you want any kind of controlled level flight.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

+1

Just a couple of days ago ffb stopped working correctly for me during an offline mission. The force just stiffened up to full and it remained like that...what was obvious though is that dcs is not using the full force the sidewinder can provide at all. During this flight the trim force was probably twice as strong if not even more than what it can usually reach. This is also noticeable when you try other sims...it would be nice if dcs would make proper use of that potential to noticeable stiffen up the controls at really high speeds...please consider to use the full force range the sidewinder can provide. This would greatly enhance the experience even further

This happens to me very often, also with teh MSFFB2 stick, and yes, the FF on the 109 has a lot of potential that is not being used. So I concur with you regarding the experience enhancement brought by the Force.. feedback. :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I agree that if we set the slider to max at peak in every aircraft we should get 100% of the force the stick is capable of generating.

My custom MSFFB2 generates roughly 4x the force of a stock one, and still I want more!

The wwii birds I know for sure had in reality MUCH higher stick force requirements than a FFB stick can generate. I imagine the same is true with some other aircraft as well. Give us access to max FFB via settings for those of us that want it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: