Landing in the Bf 109K-4 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
SilentGun

Reputation power: 10
SilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really niceSilentGun is just really nice

I have some advice: keep your altitude high and speed in between 250 and 300. Also put the propeller pitch on manual and keep the throttle at like 15% constantly to avoided torque. And try to touch down as softly as possible most of the runways in DCS are long enough for about a 15 second hover, and if not go around... (I know fighter pilots don't got time for that) but it will save you a lot more time then having to repair.

Hope that helps -SilentGun
One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...
The Future of DCS is a bright one
SilentGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
KeyserSoze

Reputation power: 4
KeyserSoze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
.............;-)
Very good landing! Carrier ops, i like it

i7 6700k, 32g, Windows 10, Titan-X 12gb, Asus 27" 1ms 144hz, MFG crosswind pedals, trackir 5, TM Warthog
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
jcomm

Reputation power: 20
jcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nice

I can't really believe the real thing was so difficult to land :-/

I can't also accept the jump it gives at takeoff, even at full forward trim....
Setting full nose heavy trim, and manual prop pitch at 12:00, even with a 250Kg bomb, at takeoff we're forced to use a good deal of forward stick???? Is this realistic?

I have no source of info though, just plain good sense, and the fact that this was actually the most advanced of all of the Bf109s produced for the Luftwaffe, so, I assume it was designed to integrate all lessons learned from previous models. It certainly feels great inflight ( less the fact that there is too much right roll due to the aileron trim tab settings IMO...) though...

Way too difficult that's how I find it.... On landing, it also get's out of control way too easily... Could it be easier on a grass strip?
I've seen a few videos of modern 109s landing, even bouncing, and certainly not getting out of control so easily....

Then, there's that easy way of breaking your wings, when you pull a little harder... This is particularly irritating for me :-/ There being no G meter I can't even say they're braking way too soon... But, they certainly break way before the pilot blacks-out... Might be due to the fact that there is no perception of controls loosing effectiveness with speed / Gs ( ? ).

Also, way too much wobbling at low speeds after takeoff - common to all prop aircraft in DCS ( overdone gyroscopic effects?... )

It's a beta, and very good for a beta model, but let's hope it get's some fine tuning...

Last edited by jcomm; 12-06-2014 at 03:16 PM.
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
SlipBall

Reputation power: 7
SlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura aboutSlipBall has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
I can't really believe the real thing was so difficult to land :-/

I can't also accept the jump it gives at takeoff, even at full forward trim....

I have no source of info though, just plain good sense, and the fact that this was actually the most advanced of all of the Bf109s produced for the Luftwaffe, so, I assume it was designed to integrate all lessons learned from previous models.

Way too difficult that's how I find it.

Again, way too much wobbling at low speeds after takeoff - common to all prop aircraft in DCS ( overdone gyroscopic effects?... )

Try landing in a open field, its less demanding and I think more of how it was back then with those round fields
SlipBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
fjacobsen

Reputation power: 11
fjacobsen has a spectacular aura aboutfjacobsen has a spectacular aura aboutfjacobsen has a spectacular aura aboutfjacobsen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 5.0 View Post
Try landing in a open field, its less demanding and I think more of how it was back then with those round fields
This...

..and the fact that in the sim we don´t feel the lateral movements or pitching moments, but simply relies on visual and audible inputs. The visual side even via tunnelvision regardless of Your monitor size.

So yes- I think it´s harder in the sim as in reallife, but without being unrealistic.

FinnJ
fjacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Roadrunner

Reputation power: 9
Roadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
.............;-)

nice landing, carrier seems to be at speed, how many knots was it going? any wind to help with?

regards,
RR

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.
You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind.
"

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #27
TwilightZone

Reputation power: 5
TwilightZone is a jewel in the roughTwilightZone is a jewel in the roughTwilightZone is a jewel in the roughTwilightZone is a jewel in the roughTwilightZone is a jewel in the roughTwilightZone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
nice landing, carrier seems to be at speed, how many knots was it going? any wind to help with?

regards,
RR
......had the carrier at 10/knts going away and head wind towards me at 10/ms
i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #28
Roadrunner

Reputation power: 9
Roadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the roughRoadrunner is a jewel in the rough

so it took ca. 54 kph away from your landing speed, fair enough i'd say

does anyone know, how fast WWII carriers were driving when planes landed?

regards,
RR

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.
You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind.
"

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 21
NeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really nice

I definitely like the tip about full up elevator keeping the aircraft in a straight line after landing. It has made a lot of difference.

Truth be told, I was expecting a far less forgiving take off and landing regime with the K4. I love this module, and apart from trim issues and a few simple bugs, it has arrived in a great state of development if you ask me.

It is natural I guess for the team to get better and better at releasing new additions, and hats off to the whole team at ED. Thanks guys!
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
DB 605

Reputation power: 8
DB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the roughDB 605 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
I definitely like the tip about full up elevator keeping the aircraft in a straight line after landing. It has made a lot of difference.

Truth be told, I was expecting a far less forgiving take off and landing regime with the K4. I love this module, and apart from trim issues and a few simple bugs, it has arrived in a great state of development if you ask me.

It is natural I guess for the team to get better and better at releasing new additions, and hats off to the whole team at ED. Thanks guys!
Yep, apart from trim issue i can't find anything wrong with t/o and landings.
With some training it is easy as any plane, there is just almost zero margin of error, just like irl pilot reports.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

DB 605 is offline   Reply With Quote