Takeoff/ Landing questions - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Reflected

Reputation power: 16
Reflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of light
Default Takeoff/ Landing questions

Hi,

I have a couple questions to the Experten out there.

Takeoff: According to the G-2 manual one has to set the prop to automatic, and accelerate to 1.3 ATA and 2,600 RPM. In the K-4 1.3 ATA only yields 2,300 RPM. Is this OK? Should I go manual instead?

Landing: According to the G-2 manual the approach speed should be 190 kph, and according to Erich Brunotte they crossed the fence and flared with the throttle closed. The combination of these 2 result in a rather clumsy touchdown with too much sink rate. I either approach at 210 kp with the throttle closed, or 190 kp and the throttle slightly open. Is this OK? Is the K-4 so much heavier as to account for the difference? How should it all be done by the book?

Thanks!

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,6 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / TrackIR 4 PRO
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
golani79

Reputation power: 6
golani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the rough

On takeoff I always use manual pitch with a 12 o clock position.

On landings I normally close my throttle and come in pretty steep.
Touchdown in the K-4 for me is around 190km/h

I also use manual pitch in the landing approaches.

There is a PDF out there for start and landing techniques from the Luftwaffe - it's in german though and not for the 109 specifically but from Messerschmitt and a Trainer aircraft - but I adopted the techniques from this document and they are working quite nice for landings.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
jcomm

Reputation power: 20
jcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nicejcomm is just really nice

Manual pitch for landings set at 11:30
Old 08-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
golani79

Reputation power: 6
golani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the rough

This is the pdf I was talking about - not sure though if you speak german.

http://www.germanluftwaffe.com/archi...ndetechnik.pdf
Old 08-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Red Hayek

Reputation power: 0
Red Hayek is on a distinguished road

Can't remember the speed etc, but the K4 is the easiest of the tail-draggers to land for me. Just glide the thing in.
Red Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
Strut

Reputation power: 11
Strut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really niceStrut is just really nice

I made this a couple of years ago: http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthre...134953&page=19

Its also on YouTube https://youtu.be/5pGwCyaqOxc
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7 5820K OC @ 4.60GHz, 32.0GB DDR4, MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A20), 8 Gig NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB, TMWH, MFG Crosswind, OCULUS Rift CV1.
Strut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Reflected

Reputation power: 16
Reflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!

Actually, I can land the 109 pretty smoothly, my question is more about the discrepancies between the manual and DCS.

I did some landings yesterday with 20% fuel, and all of a sudden I managed to glide in at 190 kph and still flare properly.

I also tried to take off with manual prop pitch set to 11:30, That gave me 2400-2500 RPM, closer to the book than the 2300 at automatic settings.

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,6 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / TrackIR 4 PRO
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Whisper

Reputation power: 14
Whisper has a spectacular aura aboutWhisper has a spectacular aura aboutWhisper has a spectacular aura about

11:30 @2500RPM manual prop pitch is the setting I use for taking off as well. I don't set a fixed ATA, I try to keep the RPM at 2500, they vary a bit during the takeoff run.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote