How Does Torque Affect Turns?

Magic Zach

I heard that the 109 has a harder time turning the the left than the right. Or maybe vise versa.

Also, when you do combat turns at HIGH speeds in the 109, do you pull the throttle back or not? Do you pull it back when turning left or right, or any turn?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Indeed, it's a bit harder for a Bf 109 to turn to the right, when applying full power. But don't count on that if you're in a Pifty and try to turn with it. The only "weakness" of the K4 is the slower roll rate which a P51 jockey can exploit against a 'not so experienced' 109 pilot. So, your chances to win against a good 109 pilot are almost null in turn fighting, and even in flat scissors as the 109 pilot will yo-yo you. The only chance you got is to fly high and try to BnZ. I do this in the Dora, quite successfully.. and I also fly alone. Good luck!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

The effect of the propeller torque increases when IAS decreases (because your ailerons and rudder have less effect), and of course when RPM increases. So if you are making a hard right turn and lose speed despite full throttle, there comes a point where she won't turn any more and the nose wants to go up. So you have to reduce your engine power in order to point your nose down and complete your turn. And of course if you are making a hard left turn and slow down, the nose will want to go down and up to a point you can compensate that with rudder right. But eventually you have to reduce power to complete your turn. With all that, the Bf-109 is a very good-natured lady, and it's always easy to regain control.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Even when stepping on the ball? I thought a turn becomes irrelevant with torque since you boot the ball to center.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Turning with the torque is easier because the roll rate is faster, turning against it is harder because the roll rate is slower. So it has an effect regardless of how well the turn is executed.

Edited by msalama
  • Like 1

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Turning with the torque is easier because the roll rate is faster, turning against it is harder because the roll rate is slower. So it has an effect regardless of how well the turn is executed.

I think you are right, and I think its because of the inherent torque effect in the design itself. So left combat turns should be easier in a one Oh nine compared to right combat turns in Mustang.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.