the hook and the Stennis

Does it work?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

neither that hook nor the Tiger is designed for carrier landings...in real life it would tear the plane apart.

I wish I had something every time I read this. Yes, I know its not for carrier. Its for emergency arrest. But

I want to use it on the carrier.

So it does work! Now if BST could model a launch bar variant (if any).

IF ANY!

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

neither that hook nor the Tiger is designed for carrier landings...in real life it would tear the plane apart.

I mean considering the f5 was build for export and unprepared strips is its not too out of the question to have it work if you landed perfectly

I really wish BST would model damage when you use the hook on a aircraft carrier it rips the plane apart since the F-5e is not capable of carrier landings.

While it would be single use only without repair- I doubt it would tear the plane apart. The landing gear are more likely to collapse. The act of catching a wire and rapidly slowing the plane isn’t that much different between ship and shore.

(Is it?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Know when we put out the Land based wires here at KFRG they dont slow the plane to a dead halt like the carriers again im not sure what it would do. I doubt it has ever been tested. I might be wrong it might just collapse the gear and that's all but I never saw a Land based aircraft trap on a carrier. I have seen planes use the Land Based emergency arrestor cables with not issues on both Navy Aircraft and USAF aircraft.

Not quite sure if there is a difference between them both.

I don't think the undercarriage of the F-5 is even marinised either.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

The hooks on non carrier capable aircraft like the F-5 can not withstand the forces involved in a carrier trap, they’d fail. They are designed for the relatively low deceleration rate provided by runway arrestor cables used in an emergency (and often require parts to be replaced/serviced after use). Not to mention the landing gear itself can’t take the rate of descent involved in a carrier trap.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

So if anything the module needs to be adjusted to reflect the lack of carrier-based marinisation, if it doesn't already.

Edited by ouPhrontis
emphasis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

guys, please, for gods sake... it was a question of whether it works in dcs. In real life, I promise each and everyone of you, the F-5E would be really messed up if attempted a boat trap. I swear I know this. Fine, I wont do it. You all happy now? :/

I wish I had something every time I read this. Yes, I know its not for carrier. Its for emergency arrest. But

I want to use it on the carrier.

So it does work! Now if BST could model a launch bar variant (if any).

IF ANY!

Same for us. It gets tiring.

People are always trying to do something the aircraft is not meant for, then gum up the forums with crazy what-if requests and complaints.

Want a carrier capable F-5, try Ace Combat.

My understanding that those hooks are not just for emergency arrests. They are also used when landing on short field , and on expeditionary runways during wet , hot, high density altitude locations. Navy and Marines used to have, may still do, a shore based expeditionary catapult (steam), to assist high gross weight tactical aircraft departures.

• 2 months later...
or at least take it down to the modding forum because this amounts to nothing more than a personal fantasy

Use of these excellent model aircraft by the majority of any flight sim community is a personal fantasy. Flying out of any airport, single ship, doing what you want, ( a million other things).

It's an entertainment military flight simulator, a game, it is all a personal fantasy.

• 6 months later...
Same for us. It gets tiring.

People are always trying to do something the aircraft is not meant for, then gum up the forums with crazy what-if requests and complaints.

Want a carrier capable F-5, try Ace Combat.

Funny thing is that combat aircraft are only real BECAUSE airmen did things their aircraft were never meant to do.

No one's asking YOU to do or support or pretend that Tigers are carrier capable, and the post title made it super clear that YOU shouldn't waste your time gumming up OUR thread with a non-answer.

People do crazy, unrealistic, unworthy, nonproductive stuff all the time (especially IRL): it's called "fun" - and you should try it! :D

I mean considering the f5 was build for export and unprepared strips is its not too out of the question to have it work if you landed perfectly

The approach for a trap vs rough field landing are most likely different. Also, doesn't matter if the hook was strong enough, the landing gear most certainly wasn't designed for the vertical speed of a carrier landing. Odd are you'd send the mains through the tops of the wings!