JDAM/JSOW Employment Question - Pre-briefed Mode

WOPR

The hornet is limited to about 20 to 30 meters of targeting accuracy because the smallest coordinate unit it can enter is 1 arc second. JDAMS and JSOW, civilian GPS would still miss very precisely if limited to the common GPS accuracy of 10m.

Other than using waypoints in TOO mode, is there going to be a way to enter more precise targeting for pre-breifed mode?

I'm assuming when MGRS/UTM is implemented in the hornet that will be the go to for this.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

The hornet is limited to about 20 to 30 meters of targeting accuracy because the smallest coordinate unit it can enter is 1 arc second. JDAMS and JSOW, civilian GPS would still miss very precisely if limited to the common GPS accuracy of 10m.

Other than using waypoints in TOO mode, is there going to be a way to enter more precise targeting for pre-breifed mode?

With TGPs, when it'll be available, I imagine we will be able to set the target like we do on the A-10C, but I'm assuming that should be considered TOO.

For PB, I imagine you'll have to know the exact coordinates of the targets, I can't see any other option (it'll be easier when we have the cartdridge for mission data, I'm assuming).

EDIT: I'm wondering, BTW, if for TOO we can use the "ball and chain" to designate a target of opportunity, since "ball and chain" IIRC, works only with auto delivery and we won't have that for JDAM in the initial release.

Edited by Gianky
Added a new question

Wags talks about this a bit in his latest video, https://youtu.be/YJjKFzMqHRo

Although MGRS/UTM coordinate entering will be coming to the Hornet later, apparently JDAMs do not make use of this, and require input in Lat/Lon coordinates. However, they will later add the ability to use PRECISE mode, allowing for accuracy up to 1 meter.

Edit: simultaneous post

So I am not sure, maybe I am missing something... the PP modes are something that should have been entered prior to mission start, so why is he entering them now? Isn’t what he is doing is the TOO mode?

Anyone know what kind of information we would get with a TAtegting pod to make use of these without knowing the coords?

So I am not sure, maybe I am missing something... the PP modes are something that should have been entered prior to mission start, so why is he entering them now? Isn’t what he is doing is the TOO mode?

Anyone know what kind of information we would get with a TAtegting pod to make use of these without knowing the coords?

In reality, early Bumblebee pilots used JDAM in this way. And this is only temporary, because TDC has not yet been implemented.

TOO mode is what the A-10C does. Mark a target with the TGP (or another sensor) and drop the JDAM on it.

PB mode is when you plan the targets by inputting coordinates beforehand. This can either be done in the cockpit or as part of the mission pre-planning.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg