Syrian and Afghan theatre of operations confirmed!

WHOGX5

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be possible to merge all these maps of the Near East in one single map, if you own all of them?

Not unless you come from the future and you have a rig with 2 terabytes of RAM, and a processor doing over 10Ghz of speed LOL

I think in Xplane it is already possible to fly all over the world in one "mission". Maybe you need something around 32GB-64GB RAM for loading HD-meshes in Xplane, but that should be it.

Anyway, I believe in DCS it is also theoretically possible to merge maps. In the Persia-map Kuwait and Iraq are very much in the corner of the map and I am afraid that the same issue will occur in the Syria map. So if we want to simulate a proper Gulf War mission, then we should get an option to merge maps. Even if that merged map is bounded by new boundaries in order to save performance, if you know what I am saying.

Thing is, the way DSC handles maps/scenery is vastly different from XPlane or MSFS and it's not easily changed. ED is aware of this and there's word they'd be working on it, but don't expect them to be anytime soon.

To iterate: Currenty, it'd be hard to merge multiple maps into one and have it run with the same level of performance/graphical fidelity as any of the single maps and you couldn't do it yourself at home due to lack of source material and license issues.

Edited by brickster

Thing is, the way DSC handles maps/scenery is vastly different from XPlane or MSFS and it's not easily changed. ED is aware of this and there's word they'd be working on it, but don't expect them to be anytime soon.

To iterate: Currenty, it'd be hard to merge multiple maps into one and have it run with the same level of performance/graphical fidelity as any of the single maps and you couldn't do it yourself at home due to lack of source material and license issues.

What this guy said. Maps in DCS are entirely to scale, right down to the ground structures. The level of detail is something that's never been attempted nor implemented in any other flight sim. I'm sure, at some point, there's going to be a module that allows you to play as a ground soldier; you can already walk around after ejecting from an aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

can devs show some footages? or at leats a coverage area map?

since it is on Wags's dcs main screen, i assume that its map borders are determined

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

If you go back and look, map coverage changed a lot for all the theatres between initial implementation and final product.

Not much point in showing it if you know that it's not close to the final shape.

i know that maps change time to time, but at least main frame must have been decided

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

It'd be nice to have some news, screenshots, information. Really anything regarding these Terrains would be nice.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Incirlik, Akrotiri, North Israel (Ramat David) for the west side of the map, boxing the Syrian border on the east would contain so much potential for present and past conflict that it is unimaginable. Possibly as far north as Batman AFB, but i think there's UAV's only there. The Russian bases are of course diplomatic free enclaves like Khmeimim air base. The box size remains in the 400nm square region, similar to PG, but the density on that coast and Israel is pretty massive.

I'm sorry for not being enthused by Afghanistan as a map, Syria blows it out of the water.

485790155_2018-12-0623_19_38-GoogleEarthPro.thumb.png.d9a831b10d15748834637b0f81ea574b.png

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

From what I understand the magic word is "autogen".

The global maps in typical flight simulators is basically a 3d terrain model with some landuse layers from which the computer generates buildings, forest etc. That means small footprint but after a while things look odd and repeat themselves.

Interestingly, true professional photorealistic scenery, which model the exact features have roughly the same size as DCS (eg TrueEarth UK South) the same footprint on disk (+- 50 of Gigabyte), the same price (+- 50$) so there is not much difference. Those maps are big and cannot take on more than a few 100kms across.

I think what DCS could use in this regard is exactly the same: a global autogen scenery with coarse resolution that is used when we fly outside the map area. Right now the transition from best terrain model in the world to "less features than Mars" is a bummer.

But I don't think this is planned because it would be yet another major task that could take years.

Edited by Burning Bridges

Incirlik, Akrotiri, North Israel (Ramat David) for the west side of the map, boxing the Syrian border on the east would contain so much potential for present and past conflict that it is unimaginable. Possibly as far north as Batman AFB, but i think there's UAV's only there. The Russian bases are of course diplomatic free enclaves like Khmeimim air base. The box size remains in the 400nm square region, similar to PG, but the density on that coast and Israel is pretty massive.

I'm sorry for not being enthused by Afghanistan as a map, Syria blows it out of the water.

This area will be nice, as we have airfields for several sides, Turkey, Israel, NATO (in Cyprus), all Lebanon, all Syria...

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Yeah even the Greek/Turkish border is a minimap by itself. We have many enthusiastic Greek and Turkish simmers. As someone said above, it's a shame you can't get all of Israel. But then the same applies, you want the Egypt border then, more of Iraq, more of the mediterranean going towards Balkans, and it's not a great leap to join them across Turkey to Georgia. The real issue is where to stop, because of the sheer level of detail. I think that is the real issue.

This area will be nice, as we have airfields for several sides, Turkey, Israel, NATO (in Cyprus), all Lebanon, all Syria...

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The real issue is where to stop, because of the sheer level of detail. I think that is the real issue.

That is probably the biggest issue, but the problem is also that the detailed part of the map is bounded by a rectangle box. How about if instead some additional smaller rectangles at the edge of map were added so we can get a detailed map of the whole of Israel, while letting the rest of the southern edge of the map be less detailed.

• 4 weeks later...
Astute find!

No Cyprus...?

The invasion of 1974 could of have been modeled, as both countries used

F-5's...

That is a very odd choice. :huh:

There is a very prominent NATO base there.

But I think it could be added like in the Persian Gulf. That map got expanded also.

Operating from carriers, it would be odd to not have Cyprus there as a landmark or a divert airfield.

Edited by Silvern