DHC-4 Caribou Project

Discus177

Model looking very nice indeed. Have you started developing the FM yet as that is undoubtedly the greatest challenge?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• 2 weeks later...

Paratroopers, air drops (I.e a para dropped cargo must land in zone for a unit to be resupplied), general transport duties so the Caribou must transport troops from a distant airbase to a frontline base so the helicopters can then deploy them forward.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Probably out of your hands as a third party developer mate, but it would be very cool to be able to land on any place on the map without bouncing into oblivion. And by "any place on the map", obviously I am referring to a flat stretch long enough to accommodate the Caribou. I know it was famous for it's very short field performance and ability to handle rough, primitive fields. I don't know if that is possible for you to achieve but if you could, that would be very cool! I'd still plan on being one of the first in line to throw money at you when you're done with this. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah field landings would be great. I think in the loadout section you should be able arrange cargo and this has an affect on aircraft CofG and trim.

Don't forget to include the backfires from the P&w R2000, last time I rode one for a short field take-off and the engines ran up while under bakes, they started popping like crazy. The whole airframe shook like we had been hit by a truck, I looked up at the loadmaster and he just laughed so I figured it was fairly normal. The fleet was over 25 years old at that time and they flew them for another 10 years after that.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Wow, great progress!

Even as an AI-only mod this would be a great addition to DCSW.

So make sure you get at least the external stuff finished and a basic SFM for the AI working.

That way even if you might get bored with the project one day and move on to new stuff we would have something really cool to play with. :)

beautiful work m8! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Aginor

SFM will be done well before the EFM. The main task with the SFM is matching performance charts since the basis of the SFM is the same for every plane in DCS. From the engineer himself.

And thankyou to the caribous fanclubs support!

• 2 months later...

Just saw this thread Discus177, keep up the great work, i love the "Boo", my first contact with one was stepping off the ramp at 700ft over a Lake in the Hunter Valley in 1978.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes Discus177, and not very far from that lake. I also remember that this bird could reverse really well as well. For STOL on a rough surface this plane was fantastic. Heres a pic or two from an airshow that had one ( retired now) and some old pre digital pics.

embark10.jpg

comp_i10.jpg

comp_i11.jpg

compre10.jpg

compre11.jpg

comp_d10.jpg

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE