F14 vs F18 case 1 landing difficulty

Mr_sukebe

This is a mainly a question about the comparison of difficulty of landing each aircraft.

I bought the F18 day 1, and am still very much enjoying flying it.

Have to say that when I first started case 1, that I was frankly a bit pants. I was so bad that since then, my daily flying routine includes at least one carrier landing in the F18 to continue to refine and maintain the skill. Months later and many landings on, I still don’t make 100%, success rate.

The F14 arrives and I’ve probably made 10-20 landings, don’t think I’ve missed one (if you exclude the one where I landed wheels up).

I was expecting the Cat to be more difficult, and in the favour of the Cat, I’ve probably a couple of hundred landings in the Hornet now, so know what I’m doing.

All the same, the Cat does seem easier.

Do we believe that’s accurate?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This is a mainly a question about the comparison of difficulty of landing each aircraft.

Have to say that when I first started case 1, that I was frankly a bit pants. I was so bad that since then, my daily flying routine includes at least one carrier landing in the F18 to continue to refine and maintain the skill. Months later and many landings on, I still don’t make 100%, success rate.

The F14 arrives and I’ve probably made 10-20 landings, don’t think I’ve missed one (if you exclude the one where I landed wheels up).

I was expecting the Cat to be more difficult, and in the favour of the Cat, I’ve probably a couple of hundred landings in the Hornet now, so know what I’m doing.

Just wait for the F-14A...

With the TF30 Turbofan engines longer reaction time, I'm sure Carrier Landings won't be so easy.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I'm finding the tomcat exponentially more difficult. The only successful traps I've made have been 4 or 1 wires and end up with me almost sliding off the edge of the deck one way or another. It's ugly!

I think line-up is the most difficult part for me, any corrections I make end up with yawing oscillations and wing rock that turns pear shaped very quickly.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Cat is easier to catch a wire, harder to actually make a safe pass.

I jumped in the Hornet the other day just to compare them again, and it was so much easier.

I think with a real LSO calling waveoff, you'd be surprised how many tries it takes to get aboard. I think i have had maybe one pass in the Cat where inwouldnt have been waved off for long in the groove, high to low ball, poor lineup, etc.

The Tomcat is much easier in the groove, thanks to DLC. The Pattern, however, is bit more of a work load to maintain and fly. The Hornet, is the other way around. Easy in the pattern, a little more difficult in the groove.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Really funny you say that. I don't own the Hornet but flew it on the free weekend and trapped no problem. I did the same in the Tomcat first few times. Then I actually started trying to follow the Case 1 procedure and my success rate plumetted. Go figure. I'm sure I'll get there.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

For the F14 i find it way too easy. I don't own the Hornet and i've never done any carrier landings in DCS before, i had no idea about the recommended airspeed or AOA or how to call the ball, and i succesfully landed on my second attempt. I only missed the wires on my first attempt because i am used to flare before touchdown.

Edited by Alex Voicu

Depends upon the quality of your pattern and landings. Just getting it on the ship tells us nothing really. You can see what I am referencing in several posts above.

Viewpoints are my own.

ive ready many reports it would be much harder as the F18. Personally i cannot say that. I had a lot more problems landing the F18. I remember dozens of tries until i could land it. Maybe things have changed by now and its easier now, i didnt fly it for a while.

The F14 on the other hand was really easy to land.... i got it on the 2.nd try and since then landed it every single time.

Additionally you have auto carrier land if youre lazy or have problems, one can use it to get into a nice position/speed too to do the rest manually.

I dont know how this different reports come to be. Also here in topic, some say its way harder and the same amount thinks its more easy^^.

Im one of the latter. Probably you have to find out for yourself what kind of person you are

There's a difference between catching a wire and flying a proper Case 1, for me the F-18 is MUCH easier. But I rather enjoy the challenge of the Turkey. I get less hook skip bolters with the F-14 so I have a low bolter percentage but getting a nice stable groove and a 3 wire is much more tricky.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It's all about training (and getting used to) different gen airframes.

Btw - if you haven't done so, do yourselves a favor and get Andre's JetSeat for tactile feedback while flying. The SSA software implementation for the F-14's edge-of-envelope behavior is matched really well with the visible and audible buffeting and shaking the Tomcat provides, and it helps tremendously in-flight!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It's easy to catch wire in F-18 as well. It's not about that.

I thought flying case I pattern in F-18 is easy, but compared to F-14 it is much more difficult.

Somehow, handling qualities in landing configuration of F-14 are superior to those of F-18.

For example it will stay in commanded bank angle and F-18 always fights your bank commands - makes fine tuning of lift vector so much easier.

Pitch-power couple is easier to arrest in F-14.

Audio and vibration feedback of F-14 is helping pilot to recreate that physical feedback not felt in armchair.

It may sound strange, but analog instruments actually help here because you can reference to position of needle/tape against fixed scale. For example, you know where AoA tape should be and where that speed needle should be against scale. Additionally, you can understand rates of change with needles much better than with digital readouts. Same for engine indications, that FF tape is muuuch more useful than F-18 digital readout.

And all of that without even using DLC.

EXACTLY!

The module provides excellent feedback, so did the buffet cues in the aircraft. It pitched with power, and as I said in the Handling Tips monograph, analog instruments are easier to interpret for pilots in many situations. The rate of change of a needle is easy to pick up, as is the position of a needle. Little sags or tiny rates are easy for the eye to discern immediately.

A digital readout, especially as implemented in a HUD, doesn't provide rate of change information very well, and requires reading, discerning and digesting the meaning of a numeric value. Analog, you just glance and get the picture.

Digital/tape displays in airliners added trend vectors on the readouts to help with this. The F14D ASI info on the HUD actually mimicked a round gauge to some degree. It had a pointer with a numeric readout in the middle.

Some of the General Aviation "glass cockpits" are ridiculously cluttered and unintuitive. The premise is that massive amounts of information is a good thing. It really isn't. You want useful information displayed, and everything else hidden until needed.

We had a TPS grad in our squadron who had flown the Hornet at Pax River. He mentioned great difficulty in transitioning TPS students to basic instrument flight using the digits on its HUD. TPS grads didn't get access to long schools and lots of sim time when evaluating an aircraft. That was the entire point. The HUD in general, was often listed as a design deficiency for instrument flight.

That said, a pilot eventually learns to deal with it, but the idea that one is better than another isn't as clear cut as many believe.

Viewpoints are my own.

EXACTLY!

The module provides excellent feedback, so did the buffet cues in the aircraft. It pitched with power, and as I said in the Handling Tips monograph, analog instruments are easier to interpret for pilots in many situations. The rate of change of a needle is easy to pick up, as is the position of a needle. Little sags or tiny rates are easy for the eye to discern immediately.

A digital readout, especially as implemented in a HUD, doesn't provide rate of change information very well, and requires reading, discerning and digesting the meaning of a numeric value. Analog, you just glance and get the picture.

Digital/tape displays in airliners added trend vectors on the readouts to help with this. The F14D ASI info on the HUD actually mimicked a round gauge to some degree. It had a pointer with a numeric readout in the middle.

Some of the General Aviation "glass cockpits" are ridiculously cluttered and unintuitive. The premise is that massive amounts of information is a good thing. It really isn't. You want useful information displayed, and everything else hidden until needed.

We had a TPS grad in our squadron who had flown the Hornet at Pax River. He mentioned great difficulty in transitioning TPS students to basic instrument flight using the digits on its HUD. TPS grads didn't get access to long schools and lots of sim time when evaluating an aircraft. That was the entire point. The HUD in general, was often listed as a design deficiency for instrument flight.

That said, a pilot eventually learns to deal with it, but the idea that one is better than another isn't as clear cut as many believe.

I keep seeing this in the Hornet, either in the HUD and the MFDs.

Especially in the MFDs, there's an abysmal quantity of information.

Eventually many of the symbols will have to be so little to fit there, that they aren't practical to see/understand at all.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

i feel more comfortable with hornet but i miss the wire even with my tiny mistake or momentary aoa loose with it.

but with cat, i just drove it to the deck like truck with no brake and it landed somehow. i suprised too much , then i made a few other attempts, landed again.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Maybe I've asked my question in the wrong way. I was more interested in whether the F14 is easier to carrier land than an F18 in real life.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

i feel more comfortable with hornet but i miss the wire even with my tiny mistake or momentary aoa loose with it.

but with cat, i just drove it to the deck like truck with no brake and it landed somehow. i suprised too much , then i made a few other attempts, landed again.

Precisely.

For some reason I don't know, as the Hornet's tailhook rebounds from the Carrier deck very easily and misses the wires, the Tomcat's tailhook doesn't.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

The way some of you land, the Tomcat should either shear the CDP or the hook point, or pull the whole stinger off of the keel.

I'm going to update the Landing Paper with Lens Roll angle and hook to eye this weekend. The DCS ship is far too forgiving of bad technique.

Better learn to land on speed. Just catching a wire and patting yourself on the back is rubbish.

If I had my way, I'd arm up the stern CIWS and shoot down anyone who is three knots fast.

Viewpoints are my own.

I'm finding it (as some mentioned) easier, stable in the groove and nicer to control on speed (once you get there). I find the break turn problematic (tend to overdo it and struggle with altitude), base turn is mostly easier but height maintenance is an issue in the F-14. I definitely like the tools and the power availability and the engine response modelling, which is smoother and less prone to quick and high sink rates. The F-14 things seem to happen slower, but have more catastrophic issues if you cock it up. But I am definitely way less accurate in the Tomcat. It's very easy to enter the break with the Hornet bang on 350 and 800 without deviation. Right now with the Tomcat I'm a bit lax about precision because I cannot really tell without a very long look and some zoom.

The differences are great to experience.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I have trouble playing with trim and dlc at the same time.

Do you still slightly adjust trim when in the groove ? Or only dlc?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't have to, your throttle is going to return to the downwind, on speed thereabouts. DLC is available for quick coarse adjustments. Not so much for ultimate control, but for making a change without making too much power change which would upset the trim. I.e. if you are on speed and trimmed nicely, you can make a change via DLC and it should come back to the trimmed state. Which is nicer than having to make a throttle change, then adjust attitude then re trim.

The power off after wings level is much less pronounced in the Tomcat than the Hornet (sims) and the Tomcat pilot doesn't seem to sit as far in front of the reaction curve as the Hornet, which needs you to power off before rolling wings level into the groove, as opposed to reacting with the Tomcat in realtime for power.

These are my findings, anyway, from doing the Hornet a lot (script testing for the MOOSE LSO script and then the Tomcat.)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The way some of you land, the Tomcat should either shear the CDP or the hook point, or pull the whole stinger off of the keel.

I'm going to update the Landing Paper with Lens Roll angle and hook to eye this weekend. The DCS ship is far too forgiving of bad technique.

Better learn to land on speed. Just catching a wire and patting yourself on the back is rubbish.

If I had my way, I'd arm up the stern CIWS and shoot down anyone who is three knots fast.

Yeah they did that to the recon F/A-18 in "Under Siege"... the poor guy didn't even had time to eject.

What you don't know, is that Jester already praised my airfield landing skills.

It was something like this: " Man that landing felt like stretching on a sofa! Nice! "

Althoug I've had my share of PC sim experience in Carrier Landings:

- TOPGUN: Fire at Will... ( 24 years ago, time goes by!!! )

- some F/A-18 sims;

- Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic;

- Aerosoft's F-14X for FSX;

... the truth is sometimes I get a little lazy, and don't read the complete manuals for each aircraft.

(I have probably read more from the Tomcat manual, than the the Fishbed and Hornet combined.)

Tipically in the Tomcat, Case 1 Carrier Landing, I try to:

- fly the glideslope;

- maintain 120 - 130 kts (if in low weight overall);

- nose pitch-up at 6 - 7 degrees;

- AoA roughly 10 or 12 units ?

... but my main reference still is: the flight path marker (velocity vector) !

(But already managed to land with the HUD off in an airfield.)

I do not kid myself - I know I have work to do, to land at the Carrier "by the book".

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Lol..

UPCAT-Tips-Memes-19.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]