[NO BUG] ILS needle question

Reflected

So I set the tacan to the carrier's frequency, I sleect landing mode and the middle button in the bottom row. The needles remain centered. How come? what do I miss? Thanks!

If you are referencing ICLS, then selected Landing on the left side of the PDCP, AWL on the bottom row, and flip both switches on the right side of the panel to ICLS. The needles will display when you are behind the ship and a signal is detected.

Already set up in the Caucuses Case I Instant Action mission.

Viewpoints are my own.

If you are referencing ICLS, then selected Landing on the left side of the PDCP, AWL on the bottom row, and flip both switches on the right side of the panel to ICLS. The needles will display when you are behind the ship and a signal is detected.

Already set up in the Caucuses Case I Instant Action mission.

To add to this Vic rather than start a new thread, once you switch to AWL steer mode from TACAN, is there a way to keep the dme distance somewhere visible for cross-checking? It seems once in AWL/ICLS mode all displays no longer show DME to selected TCN (carrier).

Cheers!

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

To add to this Vic rather than start a new thread, once you switch to AWL steer mode from TACAN, is there a way to keep the dme distance somewhere visible for cross-checking? It seems once in AWL/ICLS mode all displays no longer show DME to selected TCN (carrier).

Cheers!

Sorry, meant to address this earlier, but lost track of where the message was located.

You are asking if there is any way to have ICLS or AWL and digital DME displayed simultaneously. The answer is no. We simply used the DME on the BDHI on case III landings as it was accurate and easy to interpret precisely. It was also quick to push the AWL button on the PDCP in real life. In the sim, the BDHI DME value is difficult to see.

The workaround is to have the PDCP TACAN and AWL mode switch key mapped to your keyboard. I don't think that we can map it to a controller yet. So basically, as you turn abeam the landing area on the ship, click over to AWL mode to get the needles. In real life, we didn't need to reference the needles in the day pattern because the ball was relatively easy to see compared to the sim, and the ship often left them off so as not to emit too many signals.

Or, you can just use that big, beautiful Ticonderoga Class cruiser to set your abeam distance in the Instant Action Mission. It sits at one NM.

Viewpoints are my own.

So I set the tacan to the carrier's frequency, I sleect landing mode and the middle button in the bottom row. The needles remain centered. How come? what do I miss? Thanks!

because you need to change the display mode to show ICLS needles. the ones you have up are probably the ACLS needles which stay centered unless you have a datalink to the carrier

@Victory205 Thank you for your explanation Sir. I totally forgot about using the BDHI, as many have already said on these forums we have been spoilt with the Hornet lol...

Also thank you for taking the time to read and respond to our posts, we are very lucky to have you in the forums sharing your knowledge and experience.

Cheers!

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Another question just occurred: When I follow the ILS needles behind the boat and I'm right on the money, then I'm always way too low according to the meatball. How come there is such a discrepancy between the 2? If I follow the ILS I get 1 wires, if I follow the ball, I get 3 wires usually. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

At the Missions: " MiG-28 Furball " the Carrier ICLS needles do not seem to be active...

Selected:

- Mode: Landing;

- Landing Mode: AWL / PCD;

- HUD and VDI modes: both ICLS;

At the ARA-63 panel:

- selected channel is " 1 " for CVN-74 i believe;

- power is ON;

- pressed th BIT pushbutton also - the vertical ICLS needle at HUD and VDI moves from side to side... then it goes away when the button is released.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Sorry, meant to address this earlier, but lost track of where the message was located.

You are asking if there is any way to have ICLS or AWL and digital DME displayed simultaneously. The answer is no. We simply used the DME on the BDHI on case III landings as it was accurate and easy to interpret precisely. It was also quick to push the AWL button on the PDCP in real life. In the sim, the BDHI DME value is difficult to see.

The workaround is to have the PDCP TACAN and AWL mode switch key mapped to your keyboard. I don't think that we can map it to a controller yet. So basically, as you turn abeam the landing area on the ship, click over to AWL mode to get the needles. In real life, we didn't need to reference the needles in the day pattern because the ball was relatively easy to see compared to the sim, and the ship often left them off so as not to emit too many signals.

Or, you can just use that big, beautiful Ticonderoga Class cruiser to set your abeam distance in the Instant Action Mission. It sits at one NM.

Hey Victory,

I made a post about this a while ago: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236762

I included a highlighted shot of a F-14B natops page and it describes having the TACAN info on the HSD with AWL mode selected. It seems to conflict with your experience. Is this my misinterpretation of the manual or maybe a difference in aircraft mod state etc?