Help with Case I Marshall Pattern, Please

Jetguy06

Hey guys. I'm just looking for some tips and tricks to help me be more consistent with my Case I pattern, specifically when holding the five-mile circuit. I can never seem to be able to hold the proper distances. Are there any tips anyone can give me, such as angle of bank, or visual cues?

I understand that things like angle of bank may change because the carrier is moving, but I'm just looking for some ballpark figures to help me get a little better. Thanks!!

Doesn't need to be perfect Jetguy06

Keep generally a bank of 25 degrees at 250kts when in the five-mile circuit.

Use your carrier TACAN station and set the scale to 10 so you can see how far way you are in the HUD. I also have the HSI up on the left DDI, just a preference of mine tho so I can see where I'm at and close to the correct positioning etc.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/aircraftturninfocalc.html

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hey guys. I'm just looking for some tips and tricks to help me be more consistent with my Case I pattern, specifically when holding the five-mile circuit. I can never seem to be able to hold the proper distances. Are there any tips anyone can give me, such as angle of bank, or visual cues?

I understand that things like angle of bank may change because the carrier is moving, but I'm just looking for some ballpark figures to help me get a little better. Thanks!!

Have you seen Lex Talionis youtube videos? He has three of them up there. He was an F18 driver in the Navy. He gives out really useful information.

Jabbers video on Case 1 landing is also great.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

even easier, just setup your TACAN for the ship, then your HUD will give a range reading under the altitude that represents your distance from the carrier. That way you can practice 5Nm diameter circles from any direction from the carrier

The P-816 says within 5nm. It does not have to be an exact 5nm circle, and you don't have to fly directly over the carrier either: IRL video of CASE I shows the pilot flying over the starboard side, which makes sense considering the whole ballet is supposed to be zip-lip, visually monitoring deck conditions. You can't see the deck if you fly right over it.

The P-816 says within 5nm. It does not have to be an exact 5nm circle, and you don't have to fly directly over the carrier either: IRL video of CASE I shows the pilot flying over the starboard side, which makes sense considering the whole ballet is supposed to be zip-lip, visually monitoring deck conditions. You can't see the deck if you fly right over it.

Good point here, this is not precision flying at this stage. Also the way I understand it the ship is at 1 o'clock not 3 which seems to flow better than trying to hit it as if it were supposed to be at 3.

Nealius nailed it: stay within 5nm, and fly just starboard of the ship to be able to look down at the deck. During normal cyclic ops, if you're the guy breaking the deck from 2K, you should be monitoring how many jets are coming off the front end so you know when to commence.

Everyone else in the stack then sets their timing off of their respective interval. Since it's zip-lip and all visual, it is very much a game of "just make it work" and as long as you're at the correct altitude and within 5nm, you can do what you have to.