AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Not trying to be rude or anything...but you need to read the manual/pocket guide

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus there are a few YouTube videos popping up.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

All I did was watch the one startup tutorial by jabbers then I went in the pocket guide and starting assigning commands to my hotas. Just the basics and the things you need for targets and flight controls.

After that there are some missions in the mission section where you can mess around with the jet. Eventually before training videos and user missions you will need to learn the mission editor. Setup a few waypoints and targets and just mess around. I still have yet to learn to land the jet.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Ah .. ya.

Of course I have checked out the Pocket Guide.

Amongst other things I used it to help set up my Hotas.

But it's hard to look at the guide while in the cockpit. And a pain in the ass going in and out of DCS to read it and no I don't have a printer.

I also found lots of videos. I found none that show the actual startup procedure.

However, I'll look for Jabber's vids. So thanks for that.

I'm still surprised that there is no Auto Start. Sometimes it's nice to just jump in and go.

I did create a mission for Training but I guess I'll have to set it up to be Already Running Hot.

It's a little disappointing even for pre-purchase or early release. Maybe still premature.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Ah .. ya.

But it's hard to look at the guide while in the cockpit. And a pain in the ass going in and out of DCS to read it and no I don't have a printer.

I also found lots of videos. I found none that show the actual startup procedure.

EDIT>> Turns out I watched all of Jabber's Harrier Vids EXCEPT his "Early Access - Startup" video.

I'm still surprised that there is no Auto Start. Sometimes it's nice to just jump in and go.

I did create a mission for Training but I didn't plan on setting it up to be Already Running Hot.

It's a little disappointing even for pre-purchase or early release. Maybe still premature.

Thanks for the replies. Even the snarky ones.

I just wish people wouldn't treat everyone like a noob.

Wow really what post was snarky???

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

I'd say any post that suggests that someone who has been a member for 8 years wouldn't be smart enough to read the manuals is a bit pathetic.

And a comment like SNIPED can easily be misinterpreted ... or not.

The fact is, people post ignorant replies all the time. It's not necessary.

Nor is it necessary to assume that anyone with a question hasn't read the manuals.

To the point, I thought your replies were snarky.

I apologize if I misinterpreted them. But I ask you to think about how your post sounds before hitting the reply button.

I would say anyone that has been here for 8 yrs would know better...and also would not being laying out disappointed about the product comments for an early access..you should know better!

Edited by Pipe
  • Like 1

Anyway good luck with the harrier...and enjoy. It's quite awesome

It's an early access but from what it is right now I count it as fully functional for learning the basics. Sure we could use in depth tutorials but Baltic dragon will be working on those later when it's out of EA. He needs all the systems functional because if you've ever played his mirage campaign or other missions they are very in depth.

One thing I noticed is autopilot is not responding. I have alt hold and auto flight plan buttons mapped to the path alt hold switches in the warthog throttle. When I engage the alt hold the harrier does not like to hold altitude or path when flipping the switch up to path. Should these be assigned to buttons not the metal lever switches?

I was finally able to fire some Mavericks using the dmt. I enjoy using it this way because you can set up the dmt to lock your target area visually then swing around and uncage your Mavericks. Once I set up the correct tdc slewing positions and action switch, they fired directly at whatever I happened to lock on. It was quite nice and I managed to land too without too much damage to the wheels which is unusual compared to other times.

I still need to practice navigating and I hope someone does a nice nav video soon. Then I would like to practice bombing too. Probably very similar to the Mavericks..dmt lock area target, arm bombs and quantity and shallow dive to drop precisely on the area. But doing this is a bit harder than saying it. I guess my biggest struggle is the mission editor. If I knew more about it I'm sure I could set up targets with smoke so I can actually see where I need to go since I suck at navigation in this jet.

Latest update also fixed the frame rate jumpiness for me, awesome! I could actually bump up my VR settings but I won't do that until fully comfortable with flying the harrier.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

One thing I noticed is autopilot is not responding.

Autopilot functions have not been implemented.

It's an early access but from what it is right now I count it as fully functional
:lol: see point 1 above.

Its great to get a feel for the flight model though, but at the moment there is little point learning the procedures which are going to change a lot as things gets implemented.

Navigation is easy, set up the way points, and follow the bar at the top of the hud, also displayed in the MFCDs. You can use the buttons in the top right of the navigation panel to advance or reduce waypoint number. Unless you mean using VOR navigation etc, which is a different matter.

Good to know about the autopilot. That's fine I mainly was trying to use it to mark my target area. Although the plane does destabilize after firing my mavericks. It took a lot of trimming left and right to get her back to level flight for landing.

I should practice landing more as I always mess it up last minute. I usually come in for a short approach and end up using the nozzles last few seconds to plop myself down. I need to get the hang of it so I stop dropping it like a heavy bag of groceries.

Good to know about the autopilot. That's fine I mainly was trying to use it to mark my target area. Although the plane does destabilize after firing my mavericks. It took a lot of trimming left and right to get her back to level flight for landing.

I should practice landing more as I always mess it up last minute. I usually come in for a short approach and end up using the nozzles last few seconds to plop myself down. I need to get the hang of it so I stop dropping it like a heavy bag of groceries.

There is a whole list of "Limits" to obey and "Forbidden maneuvers" in the Pocket Guide, coming from the original NATOPS Flight Manual.

Apart from some advanced MPCD pages, the BITs and the INS alignment it is pretty much implemented.

If you learn procedures following the A1-AV-8BB-NFM-000 (NATOPS Flight Manual) you should be good to go...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey has anyone got a handle on the description files for the Harrier skins? Can't seem to find any to download as an example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I've done to one of my camo versions IF this is what you are after??

livery = {

{"AV8B1", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_1",false};
{"AV8B2", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_2",false};
{"AV8B3", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B8", 0 ,"T8_1",false};

{"AV8B_T1_FUSE1", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_1",false};
{"AV8B_T1_FUSE1", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T1_FUSE10", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_1",false};
{"AV8B_T1_FUSE10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T2_FUSE1", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_2",false};
{"AV8B_T2_FUSE1", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T2_FUSE10", 0 ,"RAF_Camo_2",false};
{"AV8B_T2_FUSE10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T3_FUSE1", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B_T3_FUSE1", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T3_FUSE10", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B_T3_FUSE10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T3_TAIL1", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B_T3_TAIL1", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T3_TAIL10", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B_T3_TAIL10", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"AV8B_T3_TAIL100", 0 ,"RAF_Camo3",false};
{"AV8B_T3_TAIL100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"pilot_AV8B_patch", 0 ,"empty",true};
{"AV8B1", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T1_RoughMet",true};
{"AV8B2", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T2_RoughMet",true};
{"AV8B3", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T3_RoughMet",true};
{"AV8B4", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T4_RoughMet",true};
{"AV8B7", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T7_RoughMet",true};
{"AV8B8", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"AV8_T8_RoughMet",true};

}

name = "Camo 01"

countries = {"UK"}

From one of mine..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yup I never touched the throttle stop either. I just removed the parking break and went from there. I'm sure the real startup procedure will be taught based on tutorials when they will arrive. But for now it's a fairly simple process.

Ah .. ya.

I did create a mission for Training but I guess I'll have to set it up to be Already Running Hot.

Do you have a laptop, iPad or smart phone? Put the PDF on there and cross reference while you are in the cockpit. That's what I do, works a treat :thumbup:

Or just use the kneeboard. Put the image at 762x1024 ( i think thats the correct size ) inside kneeboard and Right Shit + K.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Do you have a laptop, iPad or smart phone? Put the PDF on there and cross reference while you are in the cockpit. That's what I do, works a treat
I play in VR so the kneeboard is a better options.

On a side note did anyone download the free user missing for the harrier? It's the only one listed for the 107th group. Loaded it up and you can select to start on the ramp at an airfield or on the carrier. But I wasn't able to arm my harrier with any weapons. The only comms options are F10 other to mark targets with smoke and call out jtac positions.

I prefer other user's missions because I set one up myself and I can't find the targets I placed on the map.

I guess there's no point in creating tutorials when the jet isn't finished yet and the workflow is likely to change as more systems get implemented, like the INS. I'd rather the devs invest time into the bird instead of updating and posting tutorials every couple of days. After all it's an early access release.

The same is true about the auto start. It would need to be adjusted as more systems get implemented, or when their functionality changes.

Sure, it would be nice to have, but from my point of view it would simply be a waste of time for the devs to do that. Besides, the pocket guide seems to be really good for getting to know the jet.

I had a squad mate talk me through startup twice, it's pretty simple. Then again, I've only done basic flight, and still have no clue about any advanced systems. A long way to go for me, too. ;)