Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World

MonnieRock

Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World

Would you like Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World?

Would remove the need for Steam VR and Steam VR for WMR just to use DCS World

Edited by MonnieRock
  • Like 4

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Already announced

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Currently the rendering is based on steam. This makes use of the steam time warp technology (sorry, not sure how it is called, as I use rift). Does windows mixed reality have this kind of support?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

My performance on the Reverb has been fantastic but, WMR is clunky for sure and my first MP experience today was not very auspicious, in short anything to help performance is always a plus.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 2 months later...

Wags mentioned it

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I can’t and won’t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.

• I’m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I don’t really “do” room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.

• Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.

• I really can’t comment on the hand controllers because I don’t use them.

• Comfort was very nice and I felt very “at home”. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.

• I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,

Wags

It was in June so maybe they encourtered some problems implementing native support.

It would be most welcome news having natively supported Reverb WMR in DCS.

(It could possibly mean implementing WMR head traking also which is integral part of WMR iirc.)

• 3 months later...

i plan on replacing my vive with a reverb or its recently announced successor. I would prefer to keep DCS completely separate from steam altogether

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love for this to be a thing. Is there any news on it? It may not be fully indicative of gains but I saw huge fps improvements with my rift s when I cut steam out of the equation. Now I am stuck with it as I have an HP Reverb.

Native support would be awesome!

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

I'd love for this to be a thing. Is there any news on it? It may not be fully indicative of gains but I saw huge fps improvements with my rift s when I cut steam out of the equation. Now I am stuck with it as I have an HP Reverb.

Native support would be awesome!

Interesting observation on steamVR. More details?

I was using an OG rift with a steam version of DCS (not steamVR). And I was curious if steamVR or WMR for steam VR ate a decent amount of frames or not.

Going from the Rift to HP reverb I didn't really see much of a difference between the two aside from the fact the using the reverb I stopped using DCS PD, and started using steamVR SS which seemed to work better.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

11 months and no follow up on native support.

Any updates?

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

starting the sim has become akin to a religious ceremony..

:megalol:

Did you know: It also helps to light candles and place them in a circle around your playseat, while playing whales sounds over your speakers.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

People tend to forget that steam super sampling gives better performance than DCS pixel density setting, and if DCS goes native WMR, you are stuck with PD.

Also I don't get what problems you get when starting DCS.

1. Launch WMR

2. Launch DCS

Done, everything else starts automatically.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

People tend to forget that steam super sampling gives better performance than DCS pixel density setting, and if DCS goes native WMR, you are stuck with PD.

1. Launch WMR

2. Launch DCS

First world problem I know, and steam VR is only one of many steps. but when I add the extra add-ons any steps to reduce would be welcome.

Currently:

Launch WMR

Put on HMD

Turn head left, righ down ...a couple of times...

open desktop in WMR

Open VR kneeboard - load kneeboard file

Remove HMD

Open DCS Batch file wait for, TARGET profile, Voice attack/Viacom pro/ Sim shaker to load

Try to catch simshaker as it loads to turn up the volume from default 50% to 100%

Place on HMD

wait for DCS to load

Recentre view

test mouse works (for some reason Steam VR/WMR/DCS interface often means mouse wont work in VR)

Smile and select mission.

.. die horribly... start again

1. Launch WMR

2. Launch DCS

While it all feels/is simple and logical right now, I expect in the (hopefully near) future we'll look back on the time when you still needed multiple applications running in the background just to get you're VR to work properly. All with their own settings and shenanigans :P

Sure... ED probably has more important issues to solve right now.. but hey.. it's a wish forum :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Launch WMR

Put on HMD

Turn head left, righ down ...a couple of times...

open desktop in WMR

Open VR kneeboard - load kneeboard file

Remove HMD

Open DCS Batch file wait for, TARGET profile, Voice attack/Viacom pro/ Sim shaker to load

Try to catch simshaker as it loads to turn up the volume from default 50% to 100%

Place on HMD

wait for DCS to load

Recentre view

test mouse works (for some reason Steam VR/WMR/DCS interface often means mouse wont work in VR)

Smile and select mission.

Nothing from your overcomplicated list of things is related to Steam VR. And nothing there that ED will help you with if they add native WMR support.

I don't have any reason to put the headset on before launching DCS, so half of your list is already not applicable in my case. Recenter view I have mapped to voice attack command, so that's another step less. And never had any mouse issues, neither with Oculus or WMR, so can't help with that.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro