Samsung Odyssey WMR HMD Initial Impressions

GCBraun

And we germans just have to LOL as this thing isn't available in germany yet... (but on the other hand we know how many backdoors are in Samsung products to spy on it's customers... ;) )

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Just to add something i found to help with performance for the Odyssey and WMR in general when using steam vr

tried above link and helped with the vram usage and improved the performance in DCS 2.5 some.

Also proccess lasso and especially razer cortex helps too. Razer cortex especially helps in giving you memory back thats been eaten up by various apps.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Wags. What are you using? I see where others are commenting but I can't find what they are hyped about.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Just to add something i found to help with performance for the Odyssey and WMR in general when using steam vr

tried above link and helped with the vram usage and improved the performance in DCS 2.5 some.

Also proccess lasso and especially razer cortex helps too. Razer cortex especially helps in giving you memory back thats been eaten up by various apps.

too few VRAM (6GB, me) still shouldn't cause a CTD in multiplayer in VR when VR singleplayer works (nearly) flawless...

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

How do you guys find the integrated headphones and mic? Any good or do you (can you?) use a dedicated headset as well?

Interested to know this as well. The first thing I did with the CV1 was take the headphones off so I could use my regular ones...for me, any HMD I size up to in the future will require this ability.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Has anyone in the UK got hold of one of these? They don't seem to be readily available here. Looks like they are available from Samsung and Microsoft, but that seems to be in the USA, the Odyssey isn't in the UK microsoft store. Not sure if they will send worldwide and then there will probably be import taxes etc. Has anyone any advice for obtaining one?

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Interested to know this as well. The first thing I did with the CV1 was take the headphones off so I could use my regular ones...for me, any HMD I size up to in the future will require this ability.

I may not be the best person to comment on this, as I may have spent too much time in the engine rooms of steam-powered USN vessels, but the headphones sound fine to me, and I really like the volume control on the HMD. The mic is also good, but I’m trying to figure out how to use a separate boom mic, to get the pick-up closer to my mouth.

As far as removing the headphones, I’m sure there’s probably a way, but nothing obvious to me.

Are the headphones as good as a set of audiophile cans? No, they are not. Are they good enough? IMO, absolutely, plus they provide 3D effects nicely, and their integration with the on-HMD volume controls is a very convenient feature.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Has anyone in the UK got hold of one of these? They don't seem to be readily available here. Looks like they are available from Samsung and Microsoft, but that seems to be in the USA, the Odyssey isn't in the UK microsoft store. Not sure if they will send worldwide and then there will probably be import taxes etc. Has anyone any advice for obtaining one?

https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/samsung-hmd-odyssey-xe800zaa-hc1-windows-mixed-reality-headset.html?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_Ru_9P6sSYw97W0hkQ4q1iRucLID-w8GoNslSrwxni1DMmDExFefBhoCKNwQAvD_BwE

Amongst others.

Mmm, not familiar with that site, I saw a few on google shopping, but they were similar 'no name' websites. I wonder if anyone has had dealings with them? Also a 50% increase over the US price makes it a bit less attractive. That price hike difference is almost half the price of a ticket to New York, it might be worth a shopping trip.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

“Import Windows” what does that mean?

Question of comfort. I know as I have a pretty big head. I ended up making a new face foam

Sorry, only saw that now. By importing windows I mean the possibility to grab a 2D application such as a browser, adobe reader, etc., and have them stacked in VR views. This is very useful for watching videos, tutorials or pinning IFR charts in the cockpit.

I live in Germany and used https://www.shipito.com

Worked great! Got the Odyssey 3 days after buying it from Amazon.

Intel i7-13700k | Zotac Trinity RTX 4090 | Asrock B660 Steel Legend | 32Gb RAM 3600 | 2TB NVMe + 2TB SSD + 8TB HDD | Corsair TX850M | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | LG 4K OLED 48CX8LC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL

So I e tested back to back the Odyssey and rift. Odyssey is amazing minus the software. It just doesn't work well with dcs world and this is where the rift blows it out of water with the asw.

Hopefully dcs updates to use wmr like it does rift api. Until then much smoother with the rift software.

Wags? What are your settings with the Odyssey because it is absolutely gorgeous compared to the rift

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

So I e tested back to back the Odyssey and rift. Odyssey is amazing minus the software. It just doesn't work well with dcs world and this is where the rift blows it out of water with the asw.

Hopefully dcs updates to use wmr like it does rift api. Until then much smoother with the rift software.

Wags? What are your settings with the Odyssey because it is absolutely gorgeous compared to the rift

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hopefully there will be native support coming for WMR headsets if Wags is using one :-)

WMR headsets are nearly 1/4 of the price in Australia compared to a Vive....

(Which means that many of us will be able to either afford VR period, or afford VR and have something spare for flight controls LOL, or even perhaps that much needed upgrade to run VR at 90hz)

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Hopefully there will be native support coming for WMR headsets if Wags is using one :-)

WMR headsets are nearly 1/4 of the price in Australia compared to a Vive....

(Which means that many of us will be able to either afford VR period, or afford VR and have something spare for flight controls LOL, or even perhaps that much needed upgrade to run VR at 90hz)

Only problem is I don't think such an upgrade exists as of yet in today's technology.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|