Problem with warthog throttle

Hi all,

Having some issues with my Thrustmaster Warthog. The joystick is working fine but my throttle unit isn't working or showing up in device manager. The lights are on but "nobody is home"

I have used this with this current rig for a few years without issue, so I don't know if its a window update (Windows 10 pro), or whether something has broken in the unit.

I've not flown DCS or Elite for a good 6mths due to home improvements and not having time but this is nearly finished and I wanted to get stuck into 2.5

Things I've tried so far

I have made sure that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port though this never used to be an issue and the stick will still happily work in any port be it USB 2 or USB 3

I have tried the bootloader thingy and this works in so far that they show up in device manager but when I try to re-flash I get the following errors.

Joystick Error (code: 0x0000000C) (though the joystick work fine)

Throttle Error (code: 0x0000000D)

And I have tried this procedure on another PC but the results were the same

Maybe it's just old and needs replacing. It was one of the early ones serial 00538 which I bought in October 2010.

Still thought I'd ask here before shelling out for a new one or asking thrustmaster.

Cheers

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

Ok 56 views at time of writing so I guess there's no quick fix but thanks for looking.

Sent Thrustmaster an email I'll let you know how I get on.

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

I would delete the thrust master drivers and download the latest and install those. Reboot , plug them in and start DCS to verify they

Throttle and joystick is now recognised.

Win10 64bit Intel Core i7 5930 3.5GZ /GA-X99-UD3-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz 1080 FE 8Gig 1TB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-TM WH-TM MFD's- Combat Pro Pedals-Oculus Rift CV1

If you look in the forum there are plenty of topics talking about "bricked" throttles.

Apparently the electronics are a bit sensitive... Some are bricked after a storm, some just go haywire without a reason.

Thrustmaster will either ask you to send in the throttle (expensive) or you can ask for the motherboard to be send to you and replace it yourself. There are multiple guides on the forum. Of course Thrustmaster will charge for both options.

Keep us updated. :)

If you get a new one, I might be looking for a bricked one as a test object. Just in case you cant wait for it to get fixed. :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

You can always remove the bottom and take a look inside to be sure that the connections are intact. I recently had an issue with the buttons located on the right throttle not working. I removed the bottom panel and pressed the connectors to be sure of solid contact and that resolved my issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Try this thread, this helped me:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=168869

I had a similar problem quite a while ago. As others have stated, try to disable USB xHCI mode for the duration of applying new firmware. In my Asus Z87-PRO it's under:

Advanced menu > USB configuration > Intel xHCI Mode

Default is Smart Auto, I changed it to Disabled, and then I could update the firmware without problem. After the update I switched the xHCI back on.

Thanks for the suggestions all

chaser199 first thing I did :)

Gruman I'll keep that in mind. I'll try the new PCB first and if I have no luck I'll get a new set and sell the old working joystick on eBay to keep costs down.

jcbak I did this today just before emailing Thrustmaster just on the off chance the cable had been yanked or something but it all looked ok

Bwaze Yeah I saw that thread and and tried disabling XHCI hand off, then both XHCI and EHCI hand off together. No joy :(

I've had my auto confirmation email from Thrustmaster hopefully I can get this sorted sooner rather than later.

---------------

--------------------

New Egg sent me a throttle that did not work right from the get go. I liked the joystick and

did not want to send the hotas back to new egg so TM sent me the green card.

I installed it and most buttons worked for Dora, but later on when I got into jets, I needed

more buttons and then found out that the entire right side of the upper throttle did nothing.

TM said I was 4 days late after my warranty and I have to pay 60 bucks to have them

look at it plus shipping. The throttle also started to only work from 90-100 % thrust

and so I started using my 20 year old Saitek X35T.

TM really sucked that I was 4 days late when it was broken when I got it

and it took more then 4 days to get the green card to even be able to

use it when I first received it.

Quick update:

I've had a response from Thrustmaster and they have said...

Please be informed that a new PCB might solve the issue but it's not a guaranteed fix. If the problem persists after replacing the board, we cannot offer a refund (read below).

We would like to inform you that a new WARTHOG Throttle main PCB costs 53.80 EUR (for regular postal service) / 65.80 EUR (specialized delivery company). Please be informed that if replacing the broken component doesn't solve the issue, we are not liable for other defects, the warranty term for any spare part is 3 months.

So I'm not sure what to do now, what if the PCB they send me is DOA? How can a new part only have 3 months warranty? I think I'll just get a new unit at least that should come with at least 12 month warranty.

4 days to respond and nothing that instils great confidence. I may go with another brand altogether, any recommendations?

---------------

--------------------

4 days to respond and nothing that instils great confidence. I may go with another brand altogether, any recommendations?

Both Virpil and VKB are coming out with a throttle that looks pretty good, however probably months away from actual availability. I think Virpil is getting close, but who knows.

https://virpil.com/en/blog/106-vpc-mongoost-50-throttle-off-to-production

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Decided to go with a Thrustmaster TWCS until VKB or Virpil come out with something better.

It cost about the same as a new PCB for the Warthog but at least this guaranteed to work out of the box and for 12mths, unlike the PCB.

I might get a new PCB one day if I'm feeling flush or just sell it for spares or repair and let somebody else take the gamble.

---------------

--------------------

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Having some issues with my Thrustmaster Warthog. The joystick is working fine but my throttle unit isn't working or showing up in device manager. The lights are on but "nobody is home"

I have used this with this current rig for a few years without issue, so I don't know if its a window update (Windows 10 pro), or whether something has broken in the unit.

I've not flown DCS or Elite for a good 6mths due to home improvements and not having time but this is nearly finished and I wanted to get stuck into 2.5

Things I've tried so far

I have made sure that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port though this never used to be an issue and the stick will still happily work in any port be it USB 2 or USB 3

I have tried the bootloader thingy and this works in so far that they show up in device manager but when I try to re-flash I get the following errors.

Joystick Error (code: 0x0000000C) (though the joystick work fine)

Throttle Error (code: 0x0000000D)

And I have tried this procedure on another PC but the results were the same

Maybe it's just old and needs replacing. It was one of the early ones serial 00538 which I bought in October 2010.

Still thought I'd ask here before shelling out for a new one or asking thrustmaster.

Cheers

I had the same failure. Tried all the firmware and software fixes, but NO JOY. I ordered and replaced the main board. That did the trick. I'm happy to pay the $47 fee to fix the $200 throttle.

Steve