Windows Mixed Reality

Spadje

Oh wait, watching the new video:

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have normal version DCS (non steam) + Windows 10 + (Fall Creators Update) 1709 or more new... Steam client, SteamVR.

Then everything is done both on video...

Не говорите что мне надо делать и я не скажу куда вам надо идти…

| Asus Z390 | Core i5 9600K | HyperX Fury 32Gb | RTX 2070 | 1TB HDD + Intel Optane memory 32Gb | Thrustmaster F-16C Viper Add-on Grip+TWCS Throttle | Dell WMR | Oculus Quest 2 |

WHAT I don't have DCS on steam ! ! I have DCS on standalone!! You telling me I need to install DCS 2.5 on steam? -.- (can I even activate my modules in steam?)

You should not need to install DCS on Steam, but you will need Steam if you don't have it for getting Steam VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I need SteamVR? Lol ok... weird. (Steam VR messes with my NON-Steam DCS installation? How exactly?)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Make sure you have the Steam VR installed, and also the Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. Once those are installed, launch the Windows Mixed Reality and what I normally do is once I am in the cliff house, I then raise my visor and launch DCS from the desktop icon, it then launches Steam VR and the game loads in the visor.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

I need SteamVR? Lol ok... weird. (Steam VR messes with my NON-Steam DCS installation? How exactly?)

You just need Steam VR, but need Steam to have access to it. Won't need to start Steam after that, only Steam VR which likely will launch automatically for you if you launch DCS in VR with a WMR headset. If not just launch Steam VR, then DCS. The WMR headset should then use Steam VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DCS desktop icon launches SteamVR ? :D That's INSANE! (well done Valve or Microsoft lol)

Spadje can you please embed this video into your 1st post in this thread? (for future users)

Also please add "works with standalone DCS".

If not Skatezilla's excellent DCS Utility has an option to launch DCS in Steam VR as well.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Don B

Is there a way to run DCS only on the headset, NOT on my main screen too? (this makes excessive RAM, VRAM and CPU/GPU usage right? Having main screen AND VR connected at same time...)

Is there a way to run DCS only on the headset, NOT on my main screen too? (this makes excessive RAM, VRAM and CPU/GPU usage right? Having main screen AND VR connected at same time...)

Ive looked into this too and cannot determine if its actually making a hit on performance, but so far I have not found a way to disable the screen displaying what I see in the headset. If anyone knows of a way to disable it that would be great, just in case it is slowing down performance.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

The on screen display is only a copy of what you see in the HMD, it does not use any additional RAM, GPU or CPU. As for steamVR itself, steamVR is an interface for programs to interact with the device drivers. The Vive uses it directly while WMR and the Rift use it to access their own interface which in turn controls the device. The advantage of steamVR is that it supports all VR devices, the disadvantage is performance is negligably lower than direct support for WMR and the Rift. If you have a Rift, steamVR is not needed in DCS (but is for IL2:BoX), if you use anything other than a Rift, installing steamVR is required for DCS. You do not need to start steam or steamVR to play DCS after installing it though. DCS will automatically start the steamVR backend whenever launched.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Yep, FINALLY SteamVR got smart enough to give me a pop-up hint message saying "screen mirror mode" lol. And this 4 hours after I am busy with VR :P Too bad though that 75% of the time you get CTD in multiplayer (even more CTD in VR than without it seems).

" DCS will automatically start the steamVR backend whenever launched."

BUUUT this is also ONLY true if you first start the Mixed-Reality-Portal Win10 App!!!

What I have found best practice for me.

Start windows vr. Do the look around if required.

Start dcs via taskbar icon.

Once in game make sure full screen is selected. Then do an alt+enter to stretch the monitor view to full screen (adds some fps for me as the vid card isn't drawing the desktop).

If you are.experiencing pauses or ctd. Open the task manager to monitor ram and vram usage. Adjust settings or add memory as needed. I'll post my settings later today.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Ok. Btw are the left and right WMR display showing the exact same images or not exactly or not at all?

LOL true, SteamVR running without the SteamClientBootstrapper running! Valve, ur amazing!

Another hint to start DCS in "normal" (non-VR) mode (without unplugging VR headset lol, for lazy people), Spadje (please add to 1st post in this thread):

1. open windows start menu,

2. type "device manager", click on "device manager"

3. under "screens", disable "Mixed Reality Headset" (not uninstal!). Then DCS will start in normal screen mode.

(don't forget, to play in VR again you must enable this again in Device Manager for WMR portal to detect your headset again!)

Another hint to start DCS in "normal" (non-VR) mode (without unplugging VR headset lol, for lazy people), Spadje (please add to 1st post in this thread):

1. open windows start menu,

2. type "device manager", click on "device manager"

3. under "screens", disable "Mixed Reality Headset" (not uninstal!). Then DCS will start in normal screen mode.

(don't forget, to play in VR again you must enable this again in Device Manager for WMR portal to detect your headset again!)

which mixed reality headset do you have, and how do you like it?

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Dell Visor, SUPER! !! (Little bit issues with my voice-headset, I now put the voice-headset over the Visor, but then the right earphone of my voice-headset isn't that close to my ear...)

But quality wise, EPIC! (I bought it on Amazon for 380 € without controllers)

Cable is long enough, all other aspects fine.

I'm running the Samsung Odyssey on a 1080ti and there's noway I can go back to a 2d screen again.

One thing that bugs me though is now and again everything freezes and I get the steam vr loading screen for anywhere between 1-10 seconds. When the game reappears i'm usually crashed into a hill or run off the runway. seems to happen even when I'm getting 60 fps, happens on both multiplayer and single player missions, but mostly on multiplayer.

have not had DCS 2.5 crash on me yet.

I've grown to hate that damn steam loading splash screen

not sure if others are experiencing the same thing and I've not had any experience with the Vive or Rift

My specs are:

6700k overclocked to 4.5ghz

16gb ram

1080ti

500gb sata SSD

pixel density in game 1.5 with frames sitting between 45 and 60fps.

Yep same here, sometimes short 0.5-1 sec loading screen, but I have 1060 with 6GB. But also 16GB DDR4. Pixel density 1.0 (1440x1440 per eye on my Dell Visor)

I'm really liking the whole welder goggles / flip up style of these headsets. Such a better system.

I've been eyeing off the Dell Visor headset.

EDIT: ooooh and now I've just noticed the Samsung Odyssey, it's not as cheap as the Acer, but it has a higher resolution - same as the up coming vive pro, and with AMOLED screens instead of LCD, so there should be far less ghosting.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

What imo still is the worst that only center area is sharp... when I move my eyes around the center of the screen it's very blurry...