DCS World Guide for All things VR

Jabbers_

Hi,

Any tip to record (not broadcast) in full HD instead of 4K?

What kind of settings I should put in OBS and maybe in my nvidia control panel?

I have just ta GTX 970, and no 4K screen, therefore I cannot put a 4K resolution in nvidia control panel.

I have tried a few stuff but the record is blurry... as in low resolution. note that the resolution is not good in a VR headset that is normal, but according to your videos you manage to have a crisp 4K picture while still flying in VR... so is there a way to have a good quality full HD video with OBS and VR?

Thanks

The last thing in my video explains how to do this in OBS and to have your nVidia card emulate 4k on a 1080p screen.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Yes I know but if I create this resolution in nvidia control panel I got a black screen because my monitor does not support this resolution. Or maybe I missed something in the video.

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks heaps Jabbers, what a God send your video is.

I was feeling completely out of my depth until I saw the first half of your video, Don't think I'll be streaming anything for a while, least not till I sort my night traps on the carrier!

As an aside has anyone had a problem with the Rift where for night time ops only the right lens shows what appear to be incorrect colouring and or shading while the left eye looks fine. Everything looks great during the day.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jabbers

I liked the video and tried to copy what you did and it all went great with a couple exceptions. Once running on the custom resolution the the menus in OBS were microscopic and once into DCS I had a monstrous mouse cursor that became such a distraction I reverted back.

It seems like some parts were being re-scaled and others weren't. Any ideas on what might be the cause?

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jabbers

I liked the video and tried to copy what you did and it all went great with a couple exceptions. Once running on the custom resolution the the menus in OBS were microscopic and once into DCS I had a monstrous mouse cursor that became such a distraction I reverted back.

It seems like some parts were being re-scaled and others weren't. Any ideas on what might be the cause?

Side effect of meh UI work on OBS' part. I just deal with it... or use to (new 2 pc setup for streaming/recording and I dont really do much VR these days)

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh no - too many people know about the Reverb now. Will be tough to get one. I read in the UK a few trickled out on Friday. The delay/defect fix has them backed up. ;) I have been on every retailers list for about two months. :-(

HP Reberv on DCS:

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

• 2 months later...

I don´t know, where to put it, but just read some interesting news:

https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-releases-openxr-1.0-specification-establishing-a-foundation-for-the-ar-and-vr-ecosystem

As far as I understood, openXR should be the replacement for openVR and unifies the interface for every VR device compatible to openXR.

So far sounds good, let´s see what´s coming up in future ...

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

In the following video Neil Trevett from Nvidia explains openXR.

Since VR got popular with the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, openXR is by far the most significant milestone in the development of VR Hardware and Software, I think. And it is very much needed to come over the mess with different VR platforms or so called ecosystems.

As well the implementation is very promising with regard to performance ( for sure in combination with Vulkan ) and visual quality in VR.

Hope ED won´t miss to be on first place to get all the support to implement openXR into DCS.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• 4 weeks later...
Been getting a lot of VR questions lately on various topics, so I thought I would just make a single video explaining everything I know. Hope this helps some of you with either graphics settings, vr zoom and/or vr streaming/recording. Enjoy!

Jabbers,

What changes have you made to your video since 2017? DCS is up to 2.5.5. New hardware, upgraded the HMD, changed DCS video settings, etc?

Thanks,

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• 2 weeks later...
Jabbers,

What changes have you made to your video since 2017? DCS is up to 2.5.5. New hardware, upgraded the HMD, changed DCS video settings, etc?

Thanks,

My settings for the most part are exactly the same in DCS. I have the pimax 5k+ now but i stopped using VR cause the performance is atrocious, even at lower settings and i dont have time to do all the crazy tweaking everyone is doing now a-days just to get VR to work. So till there are some solid VR performance improvements that actually make a difference, I will be playing on my monitor.

My settings for the most part are exactly the same in DCS. I have the pimax 5k+ now but i stopped using VR cause the performance is atrocious, even at lower settings and i dont have time to do all the crazy tweaking everyone is doing now a-days just to get VR to work. So till there are some solid VR performance improvements that actually make a difference, I will be playing on my monitor.

The 5k+ and it's performance is simply just atrocious, and that's not just for DCS, doesn't really matter but the best I got out of it was setting it to 72hz and, hoping I could get smoothing going at 36 fps.

That's not good enough.

And considering it's vertical panel resoluition is no higher than the rift S, but the lenses warp significantly it honestly looks worse, even though it runs three times the pixel counts, and that's just comparing the vertical resolution, not the horisontal one.

No the 5k was a massive waste of time. and I regret backing it.

Switching back to the S the only drawback is the loss of the honestly too distorted FOV, and I find the S to be far better resolved and functional than any.

I'd sell the 5k, but honestly it's so bad imo that doing so would poison VR for the next person.

As a streamer and youtuber, I can fully understand you need a few things that for now is still far away from being nearly practical in VR.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I use my 5K+ with DCS and IL2 Sturmovik and am very satisfied with the clarity, FOV and all around performance. Used a CV1 for years and the 5K+ is a big step forward. Watched lots of thru the lens videos and my 5k+ easily matches everything except the HP Reverb plus I get the big FOV which makes dogfighting so much easier.

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled upon another post where someone asked how the black Shark looked in VR,,, the response was that the Black Shark is NOT compatible for VR? So I dont know if this is the correct place to ask this, but if that is true, is there a list of modules that do not support VR? Id like to know which ones dont? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

The thread you read was about blackshark 1. Blackshark 2 is compatible, I bought it last sales and use it with Rift S.

Concerning your question, all plane are ok in VR. The Mig21 have issue if you look outside the cockpit (the outside of the plane is not modelized in VR) but the cockpit itself and module overall is awesome.

As far as I know, all modules works in VR, I just miss three of them

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

You are correct sir about it being about BS1, and thanks for the response,, that is a relief to know.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 3 months later...

snapview in VR

Hi all,

I red somewhere that you can use snapview in VR in addition to VR Zoom. I can confirm that snapview works similar to the VR Zoom (press and hold and then release when done) but with a snapview point of view so to speak. But due to unknown reason I cannot customize the snapviews in VR. It works perfectly fine in the NON VR environment. But snapviews define there do not show up in VR.

Can anyone share his experiences with snapview in VR and may has a fix for my issue?

Thanks in advance

Flex

• 2 months later...

DCS World Guide for All things VR

Hey guys are the information in this video still actual today?

I tried the same exact setup as Jabbers in this video (except custom res...I have 3440x1440 monitor, so my custom res was set to 5160x2160).

The problem is that the captured video is very blurry especially when i am moving very fast my head.

I tried different settings and combinations but I was not able to have useful settings.

Here is an example of what happens when i do a recording ...any thought?

5de498391be7108d8f6e80b6e1246fc4.png

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hey guys are the information in this video still actual today?

I tried the same exact setup as Jabbers in this video (except custom res...I have 3440x1440 monitor, so my custom res was set to 5160x2160).

The problem is that the captured video is very blurry especially when i am moving very fast my head.

I tried different settings and combinations but I was not able to have useful settings.

Here is an example of what happens when i do a recording ...any thought?

5de498391be7108d8f6e80b6e1246fc4.png

Your monitor resolution has nothing to do with VR.nor what is displayed in the mirror as far as a I know?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Your monitor resolution has nothing to do with VR.nor what is displayed in the mirror as far as a I know?

I know that the monitor resolution has nothing to do with VR.

But Jabbers in the video use higher custom resolution for desktop in order to have a supersampled image to capture from OBS.

I tried with and without but i have always bad results (like the picture posted above).

Don’t know what i am doing wrong, but recording in normal 2d doesn’t cause this issue...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

• 2 weeks later...
I know that the monitor resolution has nothing to do with VR.

But Jabbers in the video use higher custom resolution for desktop in order to have a supersampled image to capture from OBS.

I tried with and without but i have always bad results (like the picture posted above).

Don’t know what i am doing wrong, but recording in normal 2d doesn’t cause this issue...

I solved this....the bit rate was set at 2500 instead that at 25000...little typing error on my end