Model quick fix conversion for deferred shading

Tailhook

Since nobody has provided information publicly to fix models I figured I will share a quick fix method using the JConfigurator without having to mess with textures or even the 3D model itself. I'd like to thank Skate for showing me this.

Even though 2.1.1 now restricts mods to load in the Mods folder we're still going to use the directory. Place your mod in the appropriate folder under the Mods folder. Next, back up to your main 2.1 directory and go to 'bin' and run the ModelViewer. Load the EDM file you want to fix. If you want you can change the livery with View/Dialogs/Liveries Dialog. Next, there are two ways to do this. The first is to open an internet browser and enter " http://127.0.0.1:8081/parameters#tabs-1 ", and the other way is to just go to the JConfHtml folder and open parameters.html. Boom, you can now alter every material associated with the 3D model via the ModelViewer.

This slider configuration method is how to configure a JSON file. If you have seen the Bazar/World/Shapes folder lately you will see a JSON file added for 99% of all pre-existing models for 2.1. This new file type is essentially a simple immediate file to convert a model back to the way it was by blending the new metallic and roughness together with diffuse and specular.

I made myself my own JSON file using one of the examples because I don't know where or how the configurator spits out a generated JSON file. Each section (excluding the "Common" sections) are the 3D materials associated with the model and can be modified.

The following variables explained:

"reflMult" = Metallic Contrast

"reflAdd" = Metallic Level

"specMult" = Roughness Contrast

"specAdd" = Roughness Level

"specSelect" = Roughness Source

"albedoLevel" = Base Color Level

"albedoContrast" = Base Color Contrast

*Optional prerequisite

Depending on the style of intended aircraft. Whether normal scheme or fully painted (demo team), I would remove all pre-existing Reflection mapping from the model by putting the sliders to 0 (with checkmark) in 3D max. From here on you probably want to have a value of 0 for metallic on every material. Only exceptions may be glass, instrument panels, or shiny metal parts like chrome where you probably want a value of 1 for metallic and 0 for roughness.

For glass materials, the appropriate values may differ the way you want. It could either be 1 for metallic level and 0 roughness, or 0 metallic and 0 roughness. Appearance may vary.

For sun reflection on wings/body/tail ON A PAINTED AIRCRAFT, I recommend a value of 0 metallic and 0.1 or 0.2 roughness. It looks hawt!

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

Do you know how I might go about overriding these values on a per-skin livery basis? I'm trying to make a livery skin for a DCS model that does not support an external specular map and just uses these the values from the edm json like you've described here.

Instead of mod'ing the entire DCS install by changing this json file, which would affect all skins for the model, I wonder if I can put something in the livery directory, maybe in the description.lua. So far my searches and experiments have not found a way.