Oculus Touch support

tom1502

Hi all,

Now that Oculus Touch is out I was wondering about the likelihood of this kind of support for the clckable cockpits in DCS, is this planned at all?

Thanks,

Tom

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see this being implemented personally, you'd have to take your hand off your hotas to pick up the touch after trying to find it having the rift on with lack of vision, just to flick a switch? Seems the mouse is the simple option in my opinion.

• Like 1

RAF Air UK Website

http://www.rafairuk-dcs.co.uk/

Mike Alpha Tango's YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9oKDSVDDDErRVjRFqgu3bA

Intel i7-6700k

RTX 2080TI

Gigabyte Z170-gaming K3

32gb DDR4 RAM

Hotas Warthog

CV1

Oculus Touch support

Finding the controller with the rift seems not to be a problem- remember you see them in your VR space and can grab them where they are (think about the vive video where the Test person throws the controller up an grabs them in the air)

• Like 1

If it's as good as Vive's controller, people will change their mind. I was a "pfftthh, who needs this garbage..." to "OMG this is freaking awesome" in about 30 seconds. The degree of precision is what makes it SO natural.

I'm assuming Rift's controller will be just as accurate, but I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yeah, a glove would be much better for DCS than the Touch ... or even an improved version of Leap Motion ... even if LM had DCS support and an in-bedded switchable on/off on-screen keyboard.

But haptic gloves only for in cockpit switches, cyber keyboard, and etc. ... not for flight controls.

It would take much more than just haptic gloves to recreate the feel of operating flight (or vehicle) controls.

The Touch looks cool for other things, but I agree it's just not for things like DCS ... or any other flight/racing sim that I can think of.

But while on the subject .... a full haptic suit with a substantial body area compression effect, 4K VR at a min of 120FPS, and a 6DoF motion rig that worked out vertical flight properly, with multi-channel tactile shakers (more than a measly of SimVibe of only 8 ) driven by individual software settings for each, would be pretty cool!

C'mon Santa ... or the sim fairy, who/whatever!! ;)

Edited by MacThai_75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XSPC Water Cooled ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.5Ghz

32GB-3200Mhz Rip Jaw DDR4 RAM.

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+

Samsung 950 512GB SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Combat Pro Pedals

Mod'd OpenWheeler cockpit

Oculus Rift CV1.

I have the touch and we definitely need DCS support,especially for the Warthog startup sequences. It is unreal how good they are.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Cool, mine should be here soon. Do you need two hands to use them?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Cool, mine should be here soon. Do you need two hands to use them?
For some games yes,others not so much. It's funny you mentioned that because my brothers left arm is paralyzed and I want to visit him and show him touch but he wont get that same wow factor out of it as you or I would.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

For some games yes,others not so much. It's funny you mentioned that because my brothers left arm is paralyzed and I want to visit him and show him touch but he wont get that same wow factor out of it as you or I would.

Right now I won't get the same wow factor either then. Little to no control of my left hand, hopefully that will improve.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder how Touch could be leveraged to turn knobs and dials...?
I think it would work great. The problem I have with knobs and controls is I can never seem to lean in close enough to get a close up of things far left and right,especially the radio numbers and ILS/TACAN info.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Touch control

I would like to add my penny worth to the conversation please.

I got my new touch controllers yesterday but have not had the time to plug them in yet.

I must say I think with support this is the perfect partner for DCS, whilst I do not know yet for sure whether the controlled "HANDS" will allow you to grab the Joystick or Collective controls or throttles I think it should be possible and if you can flick switches then surely this would give a more realistic effect and do away with the need for a separate HOTAS altogether.

I disagree with all the misery guts on here who seem to talk down anything they do not personally like or own saying it is no good for the purpose of a realistic feel to flying one of the aircraft in DCS.

Oculus Touch has just arrived let give it and DCS a chance and experiment with it, I for one wish we could have had this sort of stuff forty odd years ago, it is amazing technology that allows you to fly a state of the art aircraft in a realistic way for almost the cost of 1 hour in a professional simulator.

STOP THROWING GUM IN THE WORKS with negative comments.

:pilotfly:

Touch support would work great on my setup. I only need the left hand as I only fly helicopters and with the lanyard I can just let go of it and it dangles from my wrist at the side of my collective. It has point for switches, pinch for rotaries and grab for levers. As others have said you can see it in VR as well so no fumbling to find it. It makes perfect sense to implement support. Sure a haptic feedback glove would make more sense but for now touch is what we've got. By the way I don't play traditional games much but dead and buried with touch is absolutely brilliant. It's amazing how much hand presence improves immersion.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Got a message that my pre-ordered Touch controllers are in the mail...

Looking forward to try them out. Reviews are good.

I'm concerned about combining them with a HOTAS though. Letting go of the stick or throttle to pick up a touch..? Well, today I let go of the stick to find the trackball...

Since the touch controllers are visible in the VR view, maybe they will be easier to find and grab..? And I bet using hand controllers are more intuitive, and faster, to use than a trackball. In a virtual 3D world anyway.

They strap to your wrist so no problem finding them ;-) Just a little practice to flick them up into your hand. It helps if your throttle and stick aren't up on a desk though. My collective and cyclic are floor mounted so when I release touch it hangs freely without banging on anything.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Personally I would struggle using the touch in dcs, for me it would take too long to go from collective to touch. IMO haptic gloves would be the way forward.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

They strap to your wrist so no problem finding them ;-) Just a little practice to flick them up into your hand. It helps if your throttle and stick aren't up on a desk though. My collective and cyclic are floor mounted so when I release touch it hangs freely without banging on anything.

Do you use the touch controllers in a flightsim?

I have a simpit, with a floormounted stick, and sidemounted throttle. I was thinking of making a stand, of sorts, for the touch controllers. Having them attached to the wrist sounds like more trouble, really... But, I haven't tried it, so I may very well be wrong! ;)

Kuabi, why would it take too long? they are visible in Rift so you can just pick it up, sitting right next to your throttle. Hanging it off the wrist wouldn't work because it would just bang away on the throttle/desktop.

But the "visible in Rift" concerns me a bit. I wonder if it's like Vive. Where you have to hit a button to see it. Otherwise, you'd have this controller sitting in VR blocking your cockpit.

Guess we'll find out shortly.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

having it visible in DCS might be a bit of an issue, specially if it renders over switches and displays.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

having it visible in DCS might be a bit of an issue, specially if it renders over switches and displays.

It can be rendered transparent.