flying without helpers

thrustvector

you know, I got the shark ages ago when it was on sale, didnt play it that much at the time, as I had no pedals.

still haven't but thought I would fire it up again, and to my amazement its easier to fly with all the computers off. none of the alt hold,bank hold etc, now I don't know if its because I haven't got pedals and without the computers on allows me to throw it around a bit more, but tonight I'm having a blast.

I'm gonna download a training set of missions I have seen on the user files, something about the old ones which were with the original shark, I dunno may not work on 2.5 but hope it does.

maybe I should also look into some cheap pedals to use with whirlybirds :)

I actually flew without the AP channels for the first couple of years in BS1 and BS2. Mainly because I wanted to learn to fly it myself, without the computer helping me (kinda ironic to turn of the help from a computer in a computer game...). It's definitely more agile without, but the workload when you start to engage enemies will be somewhat demanding.

The Shark is definitely the most forgiving helicopter to fly without pedals, but it's surly a good thing to have.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Absolutely! The difference is night and day.

Learning how the stability augmentation, the auto pilot, auto-turn-to-target and trim all work together is certainly the most challenging aspect about the Black Shark. Well, learning it, and then getting it into muscle memory. ;)

While the helicopter might feel more responsive with the SAS channels off, it certainly is much more demanding this way. And like Holton181 said, once you progress to combat, the workload will start to multiply. Having the chopper do most of the flying for you then is such a great help actually!

I still fly it with a twist stick - obviously not ideal, but it does the job. I love just flying the thing around vegas, skimming treetops and dodging buildings without any computer help. It feels much more alive without the autopilots :)

Windows 10 64 Bit, i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, STRIX GTX 970, Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS

i went to bed at half past 1 last night,

was really havin fun with it, getting it hover behind trees etc, I love the long start up too, like the A-10c, even after a long time off I never forget the full procedure, no check list.

I can imagine once I engage more than a house the auto help will be very useful.

now gotta read that manual again, I cant get the rockets etc apart fron the gun to free fire.....that's if they do or poss need to be targeted ,

cant get the rockets etc apart fron the gun to free fire...

The switch right below the master arm switch (not the black button)? Page 6-55 (128 in pdf) item 7. Should do the trick if I'm not mistaken (free fire Vikhr anyhow)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

you know, I got the shark ages ago when it was on sale, didnt play it that much at the time, as I had no pedals.

still haven't but thought I would fire it up again, and to my amazement its easier to fly with all the computers off. none of the alt hold,bank hold etc, now I don't know if its because I haven't got pedals and without the computers on allows me to throw it around a bit more, but tonight I'm having a blast.

I'm gonna download a training set of missions I have seen on the user files, something about the old ones which were with the original shark, I dunno may not work on 2.5 but hope it does.

Definitely get some pedals when you can, make a huge difference.

Also while we are on this subject, I still see threads here about the Ka-50 Autopilot quite a bit. Try this below thrustvector and see how you go.

Turn on "Flight director mode"

Trim the stick as normal to the speed you want to fly at "try not to have any side "left right trim" on your stick when trimming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179588&stc=1&d=1519212822

Now just fly around, adding a little trim as needed, This is how I fly the Ka-50 when near the battle or just having some fun, it's the best of both worlds without turning "the computers off" The computers are only there now to help you a little, you will have more control and you wont feel like your fighting the aircraft to where YOU want to go. When the "Flight director mode" is off I use the route mode and basically sit back and relax, that's what it's for, it will fly you right into battle following way points, almost hands off.

I have these keys bind to my HOTAS.

This is how I manage to fly tight formation quite easily, VR also help's a lot.

You can see the big T bar in the hud, showing the Flight director mode is on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179437&stc=1&d=1519033113

Screen_180221_210603.thumb.jpg.d67863336d4e3ce70a2437d46f1d7371.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link