Open Source Joystick FFB / DIY FFB Joystick - Page 24 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #231
Slartibartfast

Reputation power: 0
Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR FlightSim View Post
keep in mind, this is "short throw" stick design.
Anything like cyclic or "floor stick" is absolutely different story since u have much more room to hide your mech's..
How would a "floor stick" or cyclic be different?
I'm trying to build a floor stick/cyclic and I reckon this design looks great! What am I missing?
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #232
SinusoidDelta

Reputation power: 8
SinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
After watching VR_FlightSim's video I came across this promotional video by Iris Dynamics describing a "contact-less" FFB system:

They also have a slightly more detailed video here.

While a neat idea I'm not completely sold on the concept itself. In particular I can't see how 5 magnets would be enough to give "hard-stops" as mentioned in the video. I appreciate that stepper and DC motors all work through magnetic forces but they have many more 'poles' or 'phases' (or whatever their called) that one could effectively set as a 'stop'. I just can't see how 5 magnets would provide enough resolution to give that fine level control, but perhaps I'm wrong. If it can be done with only 5 magnets that would be fantastic, but it sure would put a lot more onus on the programmer .

Anyway, it's a neat idea. Not sure if it would be applicable to what we're working on here but it sure is neat

EDIT: BTW VR_FlightSim (and anyone else who cares), the way the YouTube tags on this forum seem to work is that you just need to place the video's serial number (that is the part in the address following the "v=...") between the [YOUTUBE] tags rather than the whole address. It took me a bit to work this out as well, but this seems to be how to do it
I agree in that adequate centering force would require a lot of power.

Here’s some food for thought regarding magnetic FFB:
http://www.engineeringmatters.com/En...roject_FFB.pdf
http://www.engineeringmatters.com/En...k_techspec.pdf

This is a complex design, capable of 10 ft*lbs of force at 200W.
SinusoidDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:18 AM   #233
Slartibartfast

Reputation power: 0
Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinusoidDelta View Post
Interesting.
I see they propose to use arrays of electromagnets in each axis rather than a single magnet which, to me at least, seems more viable:

Interesting though it may be I didn't actually mean to subvert the thread with this discussion, so I'll let it go back to the actual project itself

But thanks for the incite, it is indeed most interesting.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #234
SinusoidDelta

Reputation power: 8
SinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really nice

I didn’t mean to drag the thread OT. I think good old fashion mechanical advantage through gearing and/or linkages (bell crank maybe?) is the most feasible FFB technique.
SinusoidDelta is offline   Reply With Quote