Any ECM tactics tutorial?

Shadoware

I would like to know some tactics to use the jammer for example.

If I will attack some ground target I could use the jammer to jam some SAM around and get close enough to hit the ground target I think.

Could you explain some examples on how to use jammer in air to air combat?

I re-post this thread in another forum section, but I cannot delete this. Administrators can delete this please.

Edited by Shadoware

Currently, in DCS, jamming is simpel noise jamming. You can't really do more tactics around it. It works and you're lucky or it doesn't and you need to do something else, quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I would like to know some tactics to use the jammer for example.

If I will attack some ground target I could use the jammer to jam some SAM around and get close enough to hit the ground target I think.

Could you explain some examples on how to use jammer in air to air combat?

I re-post this thread in another forum section, but I cannot delete this. Administrators can delete this please.

For air to air there are two scenarios in DCS. You either have the FC3 behaviour or you get "pick n mix" with the full modules. FC3 is a unified behaviour shared of that minigame where pulse jamming prevents range and lock on to target until exactly 23nm. But it identifies your azimuth at very long range.

For full modules it's been left behind, some don't work, some were slightly modelled and it's just impossible to bother with it outside FC3.

I've given up testing A2A for a long time because we got so many more interesting modules in DCS, but I don't even bother with it and maybe I should. For FC3 its simple. If you think you haven't been detected on radar, you leave it off, if you have and are outside 23nm, you put it on. It has a 3-5s delay with switching on and off that was provided to stop people flicking it on and off a lot. It just became the most painful and annoying thing ever in DCS FC3.

No idea of the effect of A2G on pulse jamming, it should depend on a lot of factors but would boil down to having it on as much as possible (because AI know you are there anyway and stealth is for immersion only) It should reduce the range for tracking radars to hold a lock. What those ranges are are pretty unimportant with smart weapons and long range sams are defeatable easily, but if you want to use dumb bombs in conjuction with a SPJ you are SoL. Altitude is your only friend. I have never seen any evidence personally of HOJ working for AI missiles and me.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the answers guys.

Do you know some more information about how jammers are tactically used in the real world?

Not Personal jammers in the last 60 years :) There are some fantastic Vietnam era videos on jamming, how it works and what it looks like on the recieving end, Unfortunately ECM and ECCM is about the most closely guarded of all the secrets you can get (of course)

Jamming is also done a lot "off board" by dedicated planes or other agencies, as you can note by the dedicated airframes that perform these functions, so we can deduce even less about SPJ's usefulness, I'd go as far to say, I don't rate them in the modern world. Home on Jam is the thorn in understanding personal jammers, you need to know the weapons that might come at you, hence this is why the offboard jamming is probably more of a thing. It's neglected in DCS because it would have to be so artificially provided that it could only relate to player versus player activities in a balanced setting else the game would be a miserable experience. No one liked jamming in FC3 when it was still a thing.

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the answers guys.

Do you know some more information about how jammers are tactically used in the real world?

There are basically two kind of jammers: Self Protection Jammers (Defensive Electronic Countermeassures = DECM) used to protect the own aircraft and Stand Off Jammers used by specialized aircraft (EA-18G, EA-6B, EC-130H) to conduct Electronic Attack (EA).

I can't go into much detail, but check out this website as well as the following videos for some basic info:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg