Why is the Viggen not available on Steam?

N206LG

F5 and M-2000 have released status, viggen is in beta.

M2000 is still unfinished, but that's another story.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 1 month later...

I have a question about this whole Steam vs DCS site purchase thingy. What's up with it? I am new to DCS and am waiting for the F-14 to come out before I start. I have seen that the DCS e-site says something about steam bought products being incompatible.

What does that mean, what is the difference, why is it there, and what do the majority of players use/do?

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the past steam and standalone modules were compatible with each other, but that has changed. At first modules that were bought in the ED shop were not comptaible with the Steam version anymore. That change happened a while ago and recently another change made modules bought in steam incompatible with the standalone version, although that only applies to modules released after a certain date (I think all modules released in 2017 and later).

You can distinguish them in the steam shop by this warning:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174637&stc=1&d=1513760805

Modules in steam with this warning can be activated on the standalone version as well.

So bottom line is, that most users just use the standalone version as it offers some other advantages, like early access to new modules.

1663913037_DCSSteam.PNG.6b300e8026a121e70d0ed47cf86d19ed.PNG

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think most people here buy modules directly from ED shop and use them in the standalone DCS version. Modules are available on Steam with a delay (often several months), and when you buy from ED store, more money reaches the devs. The game still updates automatically, just not using steam.

Prices are about the same, sometimes there's a better promo on Steam, sometimes in the ED store.

The keys used to be interchangeable between Steam and standalone DCS but not any more (for new modules).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm a standalone player but I'm also a steam owner, since I started with DCS on steam and purchased some steam modules too (FC3 and CA). Then I switched to standalone, activated my steam modules on standalone and bought some other module from ED site. Now my steam version is uninstalled, but I suppose a lot of players started on steam and then moved to standalone.

There are almost 2 million owners of DCS World on Steam and 1 million active players https://steamdb.info/app/223750/graphs/. That is probably mostly the free version, but I still wonder if standalone can muster that many players/owners?

This is probably a question that can only be answered by ED. There's a lot that could have either player count larger. On one hand, buying direct from ED gives you earlier access to new planes, like the Viggen. Which has only very recently been added to Steam. It also has more money find its way to the developers instead of paying Valve a gatekeeper fee. On the other hand, Steam has millions of people exposed to a game discovery engine. This could lead people, who wouldn't look up ED's site, discover DCS and think what's available on Steam was it. Never thinking to look further into it. Then you have people on both platforms, either because they don't care or because they bought modules that don't transfer.

I, for one, used to use Steam back for BlackShark and the A-10C, before DCS World was a thing. Once I learned that I could get earlier access to new stuff, stuff I was very excited for, I switched. But the Harrier hit Steam without much delay. So perhaps the trend of seeing planes take months before hitting Steam is a thing of the past. I suppose time will tell with 2.5, the Hornet and the Tomcat.

I dislike the whole steam system. Installed it only once to try the Aerofly FS2 flying game and have uninstalled everything steam related in the meantime again.

I too dislike how DCS interacts in Steam as it's not compatible with the standalone. However i see why ED continue to support Steam. It is the biggest platform to distributor their game and advertise.

I wish they just made it more obvious for new players that steam/standalone are not compatible with each other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD