Vergeev Campaign - Mission 05/20

BeachAV8R

VG05-00.jpg

It is evening now at Sochi-Adler airfield. It has been a long day that started with tragedy. In the briefing for this mission I learned that one of the pilots that had been killed in the crash was the same that took me on the orientation flight and gave me so many valuable tips. The investigative team has finished their work and now I am tasked with the duty of guarding over the bodies as they are returned with the recovery convoy.

VG05-01.jpg

This will be my third visit to the crash scene, so even though the route is defined on the ABRIS, I already know the precise location. The glow from the instruments is soothing in the Ka-50 cockpit as I wind up the engines and prepare for the short flight.

VG05-02.jpg

Once again, I change the default loadout to something with a bit more teeth.

VG05-03.jpg

The route will take me out to the coast, then over toward the border area.

VG05-04.jpg

As I head off over the beach the atmospheric effects are stunning...

VG05-05.jpg

VG05-06.jpg

As I depart the airfield area I hear a radio call and am surprised to see an Il-76 turning final on the approach.

VG05-07.jpg

Soon I arrive at the crash location. The recovery convoy sends up a green flare that arcs across the sky. They radio that they are ready to commence the movement and they start down the road.

VG05-08.jpg

So close to the border, I take some advice I was offered and turn my navigation, tip, and beacon lights off.

VG05-09.jpg

I fly along slowly, S-turning gently over the convoy and keeping an eye on the convoy.

VG05-10.jpg

It is a sad way to see a comrade return from a mission...

VG05-11.jpg

VG05-12.jpg

As we close in on Sochi-Adler I see another Il-76 lining up for an approach...

VG05-13.jpg

The setting sun lingers below the horizon, providing just enough light to see by without resorting to night vision goggles.

VG05-14.jpg

The convoy dutifully reports passing now familiar checkpoints. Captain Morozov was integral to me learning about the local area.

VG05-15.jpg

VG05-16.jpg

As we near the end of the airport runway I spy another Il-76 on final approach. This seems very odd to me that so much cargo is inbound. Perhaps something is brewing behind the scenes? No doubt the enemy can see the buildup as well since the flight path is easily observable from the border outposts.

VG05-17.jpg

VG05-18.jpg

VG05-19.jpg

Cont...

The convoy pulls in to the airbase. Captain Morozov has finished his mission by returning to base, albeit not in the fashion he would have preferred.

VG05-20.jpg

As I shut land and shutdown after a long day with three missions, one of the Il-76s taxis to the ramp behind me. I'm sure now that something big is happening - now to wait and find out what.

VG05-21.jpg

VG05-22.jpg

The 35 minute mission goes as planned, with no interference or signs of trouble from the forces across the border.

VG05-23.jpg

But they are keeping a close eye on developments...

VG05-24.jpg

With the border area tension rising - it is only a matter of time before something gives..

VG05-25.jpg

We will see what the morning brings...

BeachAV8R

Loving these reports Chris.

I bought the vergeev campaign ages ago for BS2 and flew it for a bit but never got around to finishing it and I havent flown BS2 for a long while. Now I have BS2 in DCS World your reports have rekindled my interest I hav reinstalled the campaign and will start to fly it again. Once I set up all my controls :(

Cheers

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

BeachAV8R, I like the way you write about it. But you do not correctly perform in combat missions. Conflict in the region is very stressful. This is a hidden war. Military presence in the air is necessary - the border around. You can always expect a strike. But...

If you have to fight, you will have to gauge the situation weapons. Could be affected civilians. This should not happen. In addition, you risk to break the mission, if you will, at its discretion to mount weapons. For example, you will soon have to fight at a time when the distance between the opponents will be very small, and you do friendly fire. For most missions is enough that you use only five guns.

Where you really need heavy weapons - for you will not forget. Maybe this is completely, 100%, sure.

Good luck! Thank you.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ich werde Dichter, wenn das Ziel in Visier auf.

If you have to fight, you will have to gauge the situation weapons. Could be affected civilians. This should not happen. In addition, you risk to break the mission, if you will, at its discretion to mount weapons. For example, you will soon have to fight at a time when the distance between the opponents will be very small, and you do friendly fire. For most missions is enough that you use only five guns.

Ah - thanks for that information. I figured that weapons load-out was at the pilot's discretion, I did not realize that the gun pods were chosen for a reason by default.

Where you really need heavy weapons - for you will not forget. Maybe this is completely, 100%, sure.

:) I'm looking forward to completing the mission set. It is like reading and participating in a good book. My compliments on the design and implementation. I could only imagine what you could do now with the ever more increasing capabilities of the mission editor.

Regards,

BeachAV8r