WQHD vs 4K

Hey pilots

With the release of DCS 2.5 I definitely upgrade my current system from 27“ FHD to 34“ WQHD or 43“ 4K.

As I was sure to upgrade to 4K I am quite unsure know. I really like the 34“ or 38“ ultrawide monitors. So the question is if there will be a big difference between WQHD and 4K in DCS? All the videos from Wags or the teasers of the SoH map look awesome in 4K but how does the graphic looks like in QWHD?

Cheers

Weasel

depends on the monitor, a high end 1440p monitor will look a lot nicer than a cheap 4K monitor... i suggest getting a monitor with G-sync, or if you're using AMD, freesync.

in canada...

a decent 4K monitor is in the 700-900$ range, 1440p in the 500-700$ range... though you can get them much cheaper, they aren't nearly as nice...

G-sync monitors 1440p and 4K run from about 700-1700$

plus you need a 1080ti to be sure you can run 4K with high settings and still get more than 60 fps in most new games... at 1440p a 1080 or 1070ti is good enough...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

27" is max you should go with QHD, any bigger is the realm of 4k.

For QHD my 980gtx was good enough, the 1080ti is overkill for QHD, 1070 or 1080 might be a perfect match.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

To get ready for DCS 2.5, last month I upgradred

To : 27" WQHD 165 Hz G-SYNC + GTX 1080

I did not want to go 4K because I:

1) Did not want to buy a 1080Ti and instead keep the money to get G-SYNC

2) Want to run DCS WQHD with (nearly) all maxed out

3) Last longer in time with my 1080 and WQHD

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I went from 27" FHD to 34" UWQHD. I would definitely recommend UWQHD over WQHD/QHD but it depends on the main use of your PC; UWQHD is certainly great for gaming IMO. I'm currently running a GTX 1070, which seems to handle most games very well at 3440x1440. Here's a short vid I did a while ago, showing FPS running DCS 2.0 (free flight, no AI units):

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I went for 34" 3440 x 1440 @ 100Hz with G-Sync , best thing I did, the G-Sync

makes all the difference

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Ok, i could get the Asus MG278Q.. i don t think that GSync is neccessary ... and i start to think, that if you don t play FPS shooters even 75 Hz are enough ?

If in DCS your FPS drops from 60 to 45, it will mask that and you wont suffer

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Ok, i could get the Asus MG278Q.. i don t think that GSync is neccessary ... and i start to think, that if you don t play FPS shooters even 75 Hz are enough ?

You wont know what Gsync can until you have expereinced it, hands down !!!

I yet have to meet a DCS-Pilot with Gsync who doesnt love it.

It makes SUCH a difference words can't describe.

FPS shooters....get as many tear-free FPS as you possibly can !

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You wont know what Gsync can until you have expereinced it, hands down !!!

I yet have to meet a DCS-Pilot with Gsync who doesnt love it.

It makes SUCH a difference words can't describe.

FPS shooters....get as many tear-free FPS as you possibly can !

Lets talk clear words :-) I love the acc of a ferrari, i like the comfort of a maserati, but i CANT AFFORD it ...

same with game equip . and even if i could, i would not spend thousands for a game :-), i would get a flight lisence...

Ok, my question :

144 realy needed for flight sim ?

ips or tn ( i tend to ips )

1440p is decided

27" decided too

so the main question is do i need 144hz for flight sim ( i guess not )

Gsync ? i makes screens just 150 bucks more expensive... if u want one with ips ? :-) ok pay even more ;-)

Ok, my question :

144 realy needed for flight sim ?

ips or tn ( i tend to ips )

1440p is decided

27" decided too

so the main question is do i need 144hz for flight sim ( i guess not )

Gsync ? i makes screens just 150 bucks more expensive... if u want one with ips ? :-) ok pay even more ;-)

I just upgraded from a 27” 1080p 60hz monitor to a 27” 1440p 144Hz GSYNC TN monitor and could not be more happy. I believe you have chosen wisely with 27” and 1440p. As for IPS vs TN, IPS monitors have better color and TN monitors have faster response times (mine is 1 ms) and is typically the choice of gamers. However, TN monitors have improved lately when it comes to color and if you choose the right monitor, can even rival IPS. I chose a Dell S2716DG and after a quick calibration, the color is incredible. Now for GSYNC...like you I debated the need for it but ultimately decided to go for it and I am glad I did. Having used 60Hz monitors with VSYNC for so long, the difference is incredible and you really have to see it for yourself. A combat flight sim like DCS can be like a FPS in combat situations with aggressive maneuvers and quick head movements. High FPS with GSYNC to handle fluctuations in FPS really make everything much more smooth and has improved on every aspect of flying a sim and increasing the sensation of flight.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

brianjmac: very nice and comprehensive explanation mate :thumbup: I wish I could add reputation points to you but the system won't let me to :(

BlueMax: I'm in the same case as brianjmac (except for the monitor model) and it's difficult to shoot myself in the foot but I would say that 144 Hz G-SYNC is not a must-have but a nice-have. If you have a powerful graphic card that can achieve a steady fps in all situations, never below 55-60 fps at 1440, and want to save money, then a 75 Hz will do. But think also that the monitor is one of your piece of hardware that is supposed to last the most, compared to other components. Regarding IPS vs TN: I prefer TN for the uniformity of the colours vs fidelity for IPS. That being said, as brianjmac said, TN has improved for colour fidelity and angle viewing.

Edited by Simicro

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

My stick is a CH Fighterstick mounted on a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. It's a MOD. And yes content. Maybe you should open a new thread in the Input Output forum? Otherwise we divert too much from the original subject of this thread.

- Tony -

My stick is a CH Fighterstick mounted on a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. It's a MOD. And yes content. Maybe you should open a new thread in the Input Output forum? Otherwise we divert too much from the original subject of this thread.

No need, i will wait for the new generation Sticks ( no, not the russian overpriced ones :-) )

No need, i will wait for the new generation Sticks ( no, not the russian overpriced ones :-) )

With respect, compared to the Warthog, I don't find the 'Russian' sticks to be overpriced. The internals of those sticks are far superior to something like a CH or a Saitek/MadCatz/Logitech.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

With respect, compared to the Warthog, I don't find the 'Russian' sticks to be overpriced. The internals of those sticks are far superior to something like a CH or a Saitek/MadCatz/Logitech.

With all respect and marketing wishes : CH and Thrustmaster are sticks, which do their jobs since YEARS and have a ton of content customers. those russian sticks for nearly 300 Bucks don t show ANY real " WHOW " interiour ..sorry, horrible alu work... company say : ok, we gave everything to second line producers, not our business...no come again in 5 years, with years of support fullfilled and other things. CH is nearly undestroyable, maybe its becauser they work for commercial use also ? :-)...and for shure : 300 bucks only for a stick is simply OVERPRICED... my opinion, you have yours

With all respect and marketing wishes : CH and Thrustmaster are sticks, which do their jobs since YEARS and have a ton of content customers. those russian sticks for nearly 300 Bucks don t show ANY real " WHOW " interiour ..sorry, horrible alu work... company say : ok, we gave everything to second line producers, not our business...no come again in 5 years, with years of support fullfilled and other things. CH is nearly undestroyable, maybe its becauser they work for commercial use also ? :-)...and for shure : 300 bucks only for a stick is simply OVERPRICED... my opinion, you have yours

I guess you dont hover helis above a small spot with precise control inputs.

If you would, you would know where the difference is.

Take rudders as a good example. The next purchase on my end should be some precise rudders and not put up with this BS from Saitek, sorry to make that point out of experience.

I know that u can use a cheap 30bucks sidewinder2ffb to get a better hover result , i don t need a 300 dollar stick to get this.. and next is : not only a product itself, but the service is important, and sorry, what i see, read and hear is far away from beeing a service of the 21 century..

but thats not the theme of this thread...

btw interesting fact, that most of the people still are WAITING WAITING and WAITING... seems to be a good sign for further development and customer support lol

OVER AND OUT

Edited by BlueMax

I know that u can use a cheap 30bucks sidewinder2ffb to get a better hover result , i don t need a 300 dollar stick to get this.. and next is : not only a product itself, but the service is important, and sorry, what i see, read and hear is far away from beeing a service of the 21 century..

but thats not the theme of this thread...

btw interesting fact, that most of the people still are WAITING WAITING and WAITING... seems to be a good sign for further development and customer support lol

OVER AND OUT

Sometimes good enough is good enough, sometimes it's not. Yugo/Corolla will take you to the train station, as will a Ferrari!

But my real point of the post is that you ended with OVER and OUT. And that can't be because OVER implies you're expecting a reply. And OUT means you're are not expecting a reply and hanging up! :D

We're in a military sim forum so I thought I'd clear up a little CEOI issue! :lol:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

We should end this here I guess, no help welcome and valued as such. Others do, lets help there ;)