Question: Will the Eurofighter have a HMD

Wait a second... you got to sit in it and actually power it up and they let you press buttons and turn knobs?

I'm getting envious... and I mean REALLY envious!

Apart from this, thanks for the clear, spot-on words, Ells!

Yep I could show you the photo but would then have to kill you ;) lol

Thanks guys.

ASTA is Typhoon trainer sim.

Aircrew Synthetic Training Aids

Google it for way more info than I could type here.

Im astonished that anyone could be bringing grief to the people (VEAO) who are working with the RAF in order to let us fly the most accurate simulation of the typhoon outside of military circles. what is wrong with your guys??? look at the quality of the Hawk they produced and ask yourself why they then went for something as complex as the Typhoon !

I wish they had just produced a Tucano and let someone else deal with the headache of simulating an aircraft thats at the tip of the spear in real world terms. Why not do a tornado as its almost at the of its career? Who cares?? as a real world pilot I relish the opportunity to fly an aircraft I'd never get near in real life. Just calm down, give these guys a break and acknowledge what VEAO have brought to the table so far !!!!

Ian

• Like 1

Question: Will the Eurofighter have a HMD

Considering the level of classification the Typhoon has, I'm more than happy VEAO managed to get their hands on the real jet. Of course, had they not had a contract, they could have simulated more advanced features such as HMD or AESA, but that would still make for a fantasy aircraft, since one can only imagine how such features are implemented on the real jet, without having access to it. If having an accurate Typhoon means having an older Typhoon, I'm in. Clearly I'd love a Tranche 3 as well, but T1B5 is all good!

Edited by danidr
  • 1 month later...
super cruise capable at mach 1.6

?!?!?!??!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly that alone is a day 1 buy for me, even if it's impossible while carrying any stores.

Like, that's F/A-18C full afterburner territory. Jeezus, how fast will the tiffy go with the cans lit upstairs??

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

?!?!?!??!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly that alone is a day 1 buy for me, even if it's impossible while carrying any stores.

Like, that's F/A-18C full afterburner territory. Jeezus, how fast will the tiffy go with the cans lit upstairs??

Quick correction, it's actually mach 1.5 at clean payload, my bad. :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20090815004539/http://www.eurofighter.at/austria/td_lu.asp

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick correction, it's actually mach 1.5 at clean payload, my bad. :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20090815004539/http://www.eurofighter.at/austria/td_lu.asp

Well, mach 1.8 if we get the War Setting (aka unlocked XG-40 core) in which the EJ200 produces 69kn dry and 95kn wet. But i doubt that....

EJ200 War Setting: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurojet_EJ200#Versionen

Supercruise speed: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon#Marschgeschwindigkeit

Edited by Secromacer
  • 1 month later...

Hello all.

I would not guess to much into the Typhoon release. The Striker-II-Helmet (HMD) is not classified. You can even try the helmet on while visiting BAE Systems at a military show. And besides that the HMD is part of the Block 5 update. On a other topic regarding Typhoon i translated german wikipedia page on Tranche 1 topic including all its updates (drops) and Blocks.

Here is a small quote from my post:

Hello Everyone.

TRANCHE 1

The Tranche-1-Jets were delivered since 2003 and had basic functionality and features. All Tranche-1-Jets have been upgraded to block 5 as part of the R1-and R2 programs until beginning of 2012. Germany, Italy and Spain developed the "Drop 1", a Software-Update for Avionics to improve the change of LRU's (since 2011). After that, Germany and Great Britain developed the "Drop 2" upgrade and made it available to all Tranche-1-Machines on March 2013. The Display of targets is more intuitive. The operating possibilities of the target lighting container via HOTAS have been expanded and the DASS-Software has improved. "Drop 3" Has been made available end 2014/beginning 2015 and includes/provides all Core Systems.

Following "Drop 4" what improves MIDS and AIS. The Tranche-1-Machines Software capabilities are limited due limited computing power: So it is possible for example, to engage Air Targets during bombing runs with ESM/ECM Trargeting and shooting AMRAAMs, BUT u can not switch back to Air-to-Ground Mode while doing so. This was only Fixed in Tranche 2.

BLOCK 1

Standards in Hardware and Testflight-Instumentation, basic capabilities.

BLOCK 2

Sensor fusion and limited DASS (Chaff/Flare), PIRATE only as FLIR, DVI-Voice-Control, Basic Autopilot.

New Weapons: AIM-9L, ASRAAM-digital, AIM-120B AMRAAM, Canon.

BLOCK 2B

Software-update for Flight control system (Full Air-to-Air and Basic Multirole capabilities), Striker-Data Helmet (First version of HMD STRIKER 1- check links below), MIDS-Datalink, more Radar-modes, Full DASS, PIRATE and Ground-Collision-Warn-System.

New Weapons: IRIS-T analog.

BLOCK 5

Nightvision for Striker Helmet (Improved HMD, Striker 2-Full HMD- check links below), Software-update for Flight control system, Full Autopilot, Full PIRATE, Full Ground-Collision-Warn-System.

New Weapons: Paveway II ( GBU-16, GBU-48 ), Rafael Litening III, Canon-Ground-Mode.

As you can see, this T1B5 is the full basic-multirole EF-2000 model.

German Wikipedia Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon#Serienmodelle

The Striker-I-HMD Helmet:

The Upgraded Striker-II-Full HMD Helmet:

In other words, if the Typhoon that is coming to DCS will feature T1B5 version standards, then there is a chance of getting the HMD into the game.

HMD is not highly classified as many think. The HMD was already used as a 1 eyed version on AH64 Apache except all the new benefits the Striker helmet brings. I was able to try the HMD from AH64 for my own. I have family members in the u.s. military that made a close up date between me and an Apache possible when i turned 18. I am about to become 35 now. So you can calculate how old the technology behind the HMD is. The Striker 2 helmet is just a modern upgrade of it, with better visibility and features. Thats all. VEAO has stated that the Jet they want to released is based on the 2008 Model? Well that sucks a little bit in conjunction with the "Drop" upgrades that started 2011.

So for the HMD case, its all up to VEAO Simulations and their Negotiating-Skills. Will a T1B5 release that has no HMD Simulation disapoint me? Sure. Will it stop me from buying the Typhoon on its release and supporting VEAO? No! The Quality these people @ VAEO are doing is great and i bet we will have a lot of Fun with the upcoming module. And hopefully, we will be able to see some new technology features in DCS with its release of the EF-2000 Block 5.

Just my few cents on this Topic. VEAO keep up the good work!

Best regards,

MKev

Attachmend:

Thats all on english speaking wikipedia i was able to find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon#Variants

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

Hello all.

I would not guess to much into the Typhoon release. The Striker-II-Helmet (HMD) is not classified. You can even try the helmet on while visiting BAE Systems at a military show. And besides that the HMD is part of the Block 5 update. On a other topic regarding Typhoon i translated german wikipedia page on Tranche 1 topic including all its updates (drops) and Blocks.

The HMD is very much classified. Sure, you can try the helmet on but I would be very surprised if they show you the actual (and not some demo) symbology it displays.

The HMD is very much classified. Sure, you can try the helmet on but I would be very surprised if they show you the actual (and not some demo) symbology it displays.

The Purpose of the HMD is to display all avionic and MFD information in front of the Pilots eye during combat and maneuvering. There is absolutely nothing classified, except how this is achieved.

U can even pan in and view the taget with the helmet so u dont have to check the MFD while lasing targets. The display can show all Battle Status Map updates directly on the battlescape u are looking at. If u look out the Cockpit for example, it shows u the position of allied and enemy aircraft and ground units in form of icons. Just like a targeting radar does. So even if there are clouds u can see exatly where the enemy plane is in this cloud. It is displayed like a MFD Marker. Hard to explain. When u watch to the ground from a height of 15000 ft. u would not be able to spot a tank with the naked eye. The Striker-Helmet MFD makes it visible to you. So u can even see where the JTAC for example and near blue forces are located on the battlespace without looking on the Datalink map. That is achieved by streaming the Datalink data into the helmet. Its almost explainable with the handy camera app where u can cast dinosaurs onto your table. In the same way the map data or datalink information is cast onto the helmets visor. But in form of icons.

It is almost comparable with the M-2000C HUD-feature where u can see the runway in bad weather conditions. But much better. It even has Picture in Picture features.

Google the Striker Helmet and watch the two Youtube videos i provided to begin with. You get all the information about battlespace awareness from BAE. If u want to know how this is achieved and how the technology behind it actualy works, i can't help you. This matter is highly classified.

Best regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

The Purpose of the HMD is to display all avionic and MFD information in front of the Pilots eye during combat and maneuvering. There is absolutely nothing classified, except how this is achieved.

U can even pan in and view the taget with the helmet so u dont have to check the MFD while lasing targets. The display can show all Battle Status Map updates directly on the battlescape u are looking at. If u look out the Cockpit for example, it shows u the position of allied and enemy aircraft and ground units in form of icons. Just like a targeting radar does. So even if there are clouds u can see exatly where the enemy plane is in this cloud. It is displayed like a MFD Marker. Hard to explain. When u watch to the ground from a height of 15000 ft. u would not be able to spot a tank with the naked eye. The Striker-Helmet MFD makes it visible to you. So u can even see where the JTAC for example and near blue forces are located on the battlespace without looking on the Datalink map. That is achieved by streaming the Datalink data into the helmet. Its almost explainable with the handy camera app where u can cast dinosaurs onto your table. In the same way the map data or datalink information is cast onto the helmets visor. But in form of icons.

It is almost comparable with the M-2000C HUD-feature where u can see the runway in bad weather conditions. But much better. It even has Picture in Picture features.

Google the Striker Helmet and watch the two Youtube videos i provided to begin with. You get all the information about battlespace awareness from BAE. If u want to know how this is achieved and how the technology behind it actualy works, i can't help you. This matter is highly classified.

Best regards.

That will make typhoon more interesting than I thought

- legitscoper

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Laptop Lenovo Y50 intel core i7 Nvidia GTX 860M, 8gb RAM, 275GB SSD

• 5 months later...

As you can imagine the HMD is a sensitive subject and we're still in discussion with our military partners on this one. For now I won't commit to anything on it.

Yes we will have skins for each country that has Typhoon including the Luftwaffe.

I can't wait to see how this module turns out. I have $100 saved up just to pre-order this module. HMD or no, I can't wait for this to be out.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Any info on the Typhoon makes my simday:)

Thanks just hope we get it "soon" TM

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

The 3D artist is making some refinements following some more research.

I'm expecting the models very soon so I can start animating them.

I've also asked for some renders to show you guys.

Can't confirm anything on HMD yet, sorry.

Cool, i will make myself a new wallpaper:D

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

So exciting. :D I can't wait to see how it looks.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X