DCS 2.1 is 59 Gigabytes?

jerryfanfan

I'm a total noob, having tried 1.57 in a Su 25 a few before, and recently decided to pay up, jump in with 2.1 and FC3.

I remember the files size was ~35Gb before, but now with Nevada and FC3 it's 59Gb? or did I forget to remove some temporary files? What's DCS' size on your PC?

Edited by jerryfanfan

Oculus Rift CV1, i7-7700k, Dual Gefore GTX1080Ti SLI, 2x8GB RAM 2133MHz, Windows 10 64bit.

Enter "...\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\_downloads" folder. They are there.

By the way, mine is 62,8 GB.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

81 GB

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Are these ones OK to get rid of?

I always wipe everything in the _downloads folder and all the backup folders after an update. Usually run a repair afterwards as well.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Yes. I think it's OK to delete them, but I always check the backup folders and not usually delete them. There may be some files of mods or some experimental files of mine. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I'm fairly sure these files are being used only during that very update they were created for, especially if connection was broken and the updater needs to pick the transfer up again where it left. However, they're useless during every next update, as different, new versions of files have to be downloaded anyway (or copied from the other updated DCS install on the same computer, and THIS is where they might be used as well, but I haven't investigated it closer yet).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

As time moves on this is just the natural path things will go, some data is recurring so it takes a lot less space on disk, some of it is unique, and it leads to some functionalities taking a large portion of data, this is just the reality of physics and information, and it should not be considered as a big problem, unfortunately PCs and storage devices will simply have to get better to cope with the demand, to have all this information in HD and looking good, the underlying technology will have to increase, that's the proper way to do it.

In future, retail games might be sold as hard drives, as not everyone is going to have unlimited fiber-optic access to download 2TB games.

Remember, Rage (id software) was 1 or 2 TB on the server farm, they compressed it down to 50GB, which made the textures look like total crap imo. That game should be re-released on this generation consoles and upped to max for PC, but they might as well be already doing Rage 2, who knows. Shame John Carmack moved on so he wasn't much part of the new API and the new generation which is a lot better than the PS3X360Wii generation hardware-wise was a just bad, hope he comes back one day ... but it already has shown through Doom Vulkan patch, the programmers that JC tought and mentored have proven it.

So I had this idea, wouldn't it be cool if JC would join ED, hah, so he had games, VR, rocketry, and wouldn't it be nice to add even more diversity into the career by getting into serious simulator stuff, because physics simulation is such a joke other games, it would be nice to see him talk about how he enjoy a great challenge of having to deal with a totally new kind of magnitude of realism.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria