P-51D cockpit build

Raceguy

I've checked from several devices viewing as a guest and I can see the pics.

Can anyone offer suggestions to correct the missing pics for others?

Thanks

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Raceguy.

First of all, congratulations for your pit. It´s very impressive, really.

Secondly, I can confirm that I can see the pictures. I think I´ve heard somewhere that photobucket can do such things from time to time, but I cannot recall the reason. Maybe something related to the number of people accessing the pictures?

Maybe just insert them directly into the post rather than link

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

As can I. So it must be throttling or location blocking.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi guys and thank you for the kind words.

I'm still not sure why some cannot see the pics. It may be throttling as suggested.

Well, let's try another update.

Today I finally tackled the pylon release handles. I have been trying to figure out where to place the switches and I think this will work.

I have attached a clevis and pushrod, like used in RC planes, to each handle. (Only one is connected in the pics.) On each pushrod there will be a pushrod connector. There is usually a pin sticking up from the connector to attach it to the plane. This won't be needed so I ground this off with my Dremel.

The box contains two lever switches, one for each handle. I placed a lever switch next to the box to show what is inside. When the pylon handle is pulled the pushrod connector will be pulled into the box activating the switches.

Thanks for looking.

Ed

The first two pics show the pylon handles stored from two different views.

pylon%201a.jpg

pylon%2012a.jpg

This pic shows the pylon handles have been pulled and the push rod connector has hit the hidden switch.

pylon%2013a.jpg

This is looking into the switch box. The first pic shows the pylon handle stored and in the second the pylon handle has been pulled. You can see the pushrod connector hitting the switch.

pylon%206a.jpg

pylon%209a.jpg

Impressive....most impressive

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

So, let me see if I'm following this... as you pull the handle the rod is moved, and the wee thingy on the rod presses the micro-switch inside the box? I like it!

(What's the other micro-switch for? The one outside the box.)

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

Thanks guys

The switch on the outside is just to show what the inside switch looks like.

Ahhhhh!

Sorry, I was initially reading that in the middle of the night. All clear now. :)

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

i can see those pictures now. Looking really good. Great way to innovate and not over complicate a simple thing.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I’ve got a bunch of pics posted here to catch up on what I have been doing in the shop.

Today I started working on the aluminum skin for the front of the pit. I need to get this figured out now because the USB boards will be installed “under the hood” in the flat area. The cutout is where the large LCD screen base will be placed once I build a secure support. The next aluminum piece to be made will be a curved section for the cowl to cover the USB boards. I’ll hold off doing the pit sides until all of the components and wiring is complete. That way I will have easy access for the initial install but each component will be removable from inside the pit for repairs should they be needed.

Thanks for looking

Ed

1%20IMG_2755a.jpg

2%20IMG_2757a.jpg

3%20IMG_2758a.jpg

Left side.

4%20IMG_2760a.jpg

Trim console.

5%20IMG_2783a.jpg

Map case, flare gun bag and flare gun slot.

6%20IMG_2786a.jpg

I’ve started making the panel labels but they are not installed at this time.

Radiator control panel.

7%20IMG_2779a.jpg

Throttle face plate

8.jpg

Selector dimmer controls.

9%20IMG_2775a.jpg

Engine control panel

10%20IMG_2778a.jpg

Power panel

11%20IMG_2765a.jpg

Power panel with circuit breaker reset open

12%20IMG_2766a.jpg

Detrola box.

13.jpg

IFF panel

14%20MG_2769a.jpg

Center switch box, fuel shut off, fuel tank selector and emergency hydraulic release

15%20IMG_2781a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys

Thank you all for the encouraging words. They are really appreciated. I am inspired by your builds.

Today I almost finished the front aluminum. All that is left to do is build a support for the LCD monitor base that will be under the "hood" and cut a small hole in the aluminum for the support arm.

IMG_2790a.jpg

IMG_2787a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Not much has been happening in the shop recently due to other projects assigned by the Crew Chief.

Today I did complete what I’m calling the “Environmental Panel”. It will be mounted between the ribs under the radio and IFF panels at floor lever. This does not exist in real planes but in my pit will control the following from left to right:

Small left front pusher fan hidden at lower left front of pit under the dash

Small right front pusher fan hidden at lower right front of pit under the dash

Large exhaust fan installed behind the seat

Electrical power for the 2 dash lights. The brightness will be controlled using a dimmer on each side of the pit

Hour meter. This will record total seat time in the pit.

Green light will be lit when hour meter is activated.

Take care

Ed

ENV%20panel%201a.jpg

ENV%20panel%203a.jpg

Is the commander trying to keep track of flying hours and set 1 hour time limits for training purposes? Wife had a good giggle on that one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Environmental Panel? More like a "Tell Tale" :>

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Hi guys

This was my racing pit in the past when I raced online. At some point I got curious about the amount of time I was spending with the league so I installed the hour meter. I was amazed at the hours I racked up! The commander never complained thought, she is a keeper!

Elmo, If your wife giggled at the hour meter she should get a good laugh at the relief tube I had in the racing version. :music_whistling:

Hmmm, maybe I should explain. Spending 3, 4 or 5 hours at a time racing I would sometimes need a little "relief". So I installed a relief tube. One night while racing I said to the group that I was going to use my relief tube. Boy, did THAT get the comments started.

Being a somewhat enclosed pit it would get warm so I had 2 fans in the front to push in air and a large fan at the rear to pull air out. The relief tube was aluminum dryer vent ducting that was attached to a 4 inch PC fan. When I wanted air directly on my face or hands I would pull the tube out of its storage slot and direct the air where needed and get "relief"! :)

Look on the lower right side in the pic below.

Fly%20or%20drive.jpg

Hello everyone

Yesterday and today I installed the floor and applied the paint and stain. I’m not sure what the center section (now black) will be in its final form but at least I covered the white sub floor beneath for now. I saw that some Mustangs had a yellow edge to the wood in this area so I applied that to mine.

I also corrected the flare gun bag. It was too long which did not look right and it was partially blocking access to the flap lever.

Take care

Ed

left%20side%202a.jpg

Floor%201a.jpg

Floor%203a.jpg

Hello everyone

I put EVERYTHING in the pit today for a final check. This is the first time it has all been in the pit at one time and it felt really cool! I did find 3 things that I need to correct but that was the purpose of this test.

My wife has seen it in parts and pieces so I brought her out for a look and even got her in the pit! She has been a great supporter of this project. Probably to keep me out of the house!

I still need to add the labels, run all of the wiring, do some final painting like the white area under the dash and install the skin but it feels like I am finally getting closer to completion.

Take care and have a safe Memorial Day weekend.

Ed

IMG_2829a.jpg

IMG_2850a.jpg

IMG_2832a.jpg

IMG_2849a.jpg