Rain and windscreen wipers in 2.5+ ?

silent one

Ive been a way a while so Im unclear as to development. I see in youtube vids that there are going to be rain on windscreen effects in future. With that in mind are we going to have working windscreen wipers in BS? I loved this in EEAH and would pay extra to have it here :)

That would be Super Duper awesome!

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

There's a raindrop texture in the textures of Bf-109 module.

I wonder what are they for, but I have a feeling that the time we will see raindrops effect on the windshield will getting close. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

What is it and sim creators leaving out the rain effects on canopy's and wind shields ?

Its one of the most needed effects to bring the realism of flying in poor weather.

I know its all about resource and spending wisely when it comes to programming but with today's hardware such as 4,6,8,10 ... mutli-core processors, high performance DDR4 along with state of the art graphics cards, all of which these days most people have clocked to the max surely this is a must ?

("Head down ... incoming") ...

Intel® i9 9900K Coffee Lake OC 5.1GHz, ASUS ROG Maximum Formula LGA1151 MB, Windows 10® 64bit Pro, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti OC GPU, 2 x Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB Drives, 1 x Samsung Evo 860 2TB SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD, 1 x Acer™ Predator 35" 4K Wide Flat Monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Oculus Rift S

What's wrong with the current wipers?

Theres no rain for them to wipe. Its an immersion thing. EEAH_ EECH had wipers that interacted with the rain. It looked great and was atmospheric. I loved it and I want it back in my fave sim :) Im not slagging off BS2, its just a suggestion for improvement in the future. If you were playing a Le Mans racing car sim and the track was wet, wouldn't you want the immersion of the rain on the windscreen and the wipers working?

DCS and IL2 are incorporating rain effects in the near future. Which is great :) Id love it if the BS can get some additional love to bring it back to the party :)

Theres no rain for them to wipe.

Haha, okay, I see. ;)

Just a wild guess here, but I don't think ED would be doing this halfhearted, meaning when they incorporate rain effects on canopy, I can't imagine that the wipers on something like the oldest DCS module would not interact with it.

• 1 year later...
Haha, okay, I see. ;)

Just a wild guess here, but I don't think ED would be doing this halfhearted, meaning when they incorporate rain effects on canopy, I can't imagine that the wipers on something like the oldest DCS module would not interact with it.

well they don't. they wipe but vision is just as clear as without wipers.

• 1 month later...
huey and mi8 have rain on canopy but the wipers do nothing. I hope we can get working wipers for all choppers at some point

That is long overdue. With the new lighting, improvements to the windows are due. You could add that right away. That would bring a lot of immersion and EVERY Helifan would be thrilled.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

IL-2 currently has great raindrop effects when you fly through clouds and they stream back from the canopies very realistically.

No reason why the same couldn't be incorporated into DCS though more for helos as jets tend not to worry about wipers...:D

Well at present the wipers do not react with the rain. They wipe but the drops are not affected. Conversely the droplets do not interact with the wiper (as in follow its contour). The presence of the downdraft of two whacking great rotors seems to go unnoticed too.

Perhaps one day

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Well at present the wipers do not react with the rain. They wipe but the drops are not affected. Conversely the droplets do not interact with the wiper (as in follow its contour). The presence of the downdraft of two whacking great rotors seems to go unnoticed too.

Perhaps one day

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

It will be definitely very nice feature. I remember EE:AvH with rain on canopy and working wipers, it was really impressive in 1998. I think ED had some other focus with lighting and other stuff but rain and wipers are a matter of time I believe. It adds a ton of immersion especially for the choppers.