moving map makes HSI unreadable - any solutions?

nickos86

Hi,

The bright map beneath the HSI makes it extremely hard to read and understand what it says.

Is it possible to edit the font to be bolded/black, decrease only maps brightness (like in A-10C where is works great)?

Thanks

+1 !

How is it possible not to be able to make it at least the same quality as on the DCS:A-10C which has been released more than 5 years ago by the same team ?

I don't understand ... :helpsmilie:

IRL pilots turn off the map to improve HSI readability but that's not to say DCS's text contrast couldn't be improved.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

+1 !

How is it possible not to be able to make it at least the same quality as on the DCS:A-10C which has been released more than 5 years ago by the same team ?

Not quality, they go for accuracy.

Apparently many pilots do turn off the map by hitting the mode OSB button twice on the left hand side. That's what I do anyway.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi,

The bright map beneath the HSI makes it extremely hard to read and understand what it says.

Is it possible to edit the font to be bolded/black, decrease only maps brightness (like in A-10C where is works great)?

Thanks

+ 1

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

i agree - when the map is bright you cannot ready anything

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

It's easy enough to turn off the map when you need to read the data. I hear that real-world Hornet jocks turn it off most of the time too. Probably for exactly the same reason. No matter what you try to do to make it clearer, as long as the colours of the map match, or obfuscate the text, you will not be able to read the HSI.

It can be worked around, so there isn't really a problem unless you want there to be one.

The HSI is impossible to read in VR with the map overlay so I always hit the OSB twice to turn the map off. I don't find the map much helpful to be honest.

Absolutely the same in non-VR. But well, if even RL drivers do that, it must be impossible to read in the real one as well which is something I'd usually expect from Microsoft or Google (Win 10 and Android 5+ "no contrast" UIs are a crime, hooves down), but not a company that builds military hardware which just has to function in the Danger Zone rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Do what I do with a 15" monitor. It very readable :)

2laf2fc.jpg

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

not sure about the hornet, but I turn off the map on the a-10c as well, not very readable in my opinion, specially in VR

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

One of the dev notes indicated that the team worked on a black text outline for the map to improve readability. I can see a faint outline but it's very small and I think the anti-aliasing just messes with it by blending the outlines of the text into the map. Whoever designed that display at McDonnell Douglas clearly didn't think things through. If only the text color could be changed.

When the display controls are all working (eg, contrast) - should be able to make the map a bit dimmer.

For now, map off.

Do what I do with a 15" monitor. It very readable :)

2laf2fc.jpg

How did you export only AMPCD to the second monitor? Could you please give me the directions (files changes, folders affected, etc.) I am not an IT guy, so if you be the more detailed possible, I´d appreciate.

By the way, I have 2 27¨monitors.

+1 !

Exactly my thoughts! The A10c has almost all the desired features, except ground mapping radar.

I don't think that programmer is available anymore?:cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

How did you export only AMPCD to the second monitor? Could you please give me the directions (files changes, folders affected, etc.) I am not an IT guy, so if you be the more detailed possible, I´d appreciate.

By the way, I have 2 27¨monitors.

Read all of the post, I give several different examples how to do different Monitor configurations and tried to explained the best I could. You will need to make a custom LAU file if you only want two monitors. Make sure you change the DCS main screen UI resolution drop down menu to active both monitors in DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221925

The following script will make all two monitors auto scale to the max size of each of your particular monitors resolution:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Camera + AMPCD automatic placement');

Description = 'Camera on primary display and AMPCD MFCD on secondary'

if displays and #displays > 1 then

primary =

{

x = displays[1].x - screen.x,

y = displays[1].y - screen.y,

width = displays[1].width,

height = displays[1].height,

aspect = displays[1].width/displays[1].height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

}

secondary =

{

x = displays[2].x - screen.x,

y = displays[2].y - screen.y,

width = displays[2].width,

height = displays[2].height,

}

else

primary =

{

x = screen.width / 2;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

}

secondary =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

}

end

UIMainView = primary

CENTER_MFCD = secondary

Viewports = {UIMainView}

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Hi everyone! I found this comment on Reddit which explains how to modify the AMPCD text so that it is much more readable when the moving map is on.

Find this file in your DCS folder: DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

As always, make a backup just in case. Open the file in Notepad, and change the values to the ones below.

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 8

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 3

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.35

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.3

It isn't as easy to read as the VRS Superbug's white text over the satellite map, but it's a massive improvement over the default F/A-18C values.