2.5 TRACKIR STUTTERING

Goa

Hello Guys,

Has someone solved this stutter issue between 61 and 119 fps?

I purchased a 165hz G sync 2K monitor yesterday and DCS is soooo smooth at 120fps (when monitor set at 120hz) but when FPS are dropping under 120, turning the head in the cockpit is full of stutter. And like other guys, turning the view with numpad is still smooth even under 120 fps but not with TIR.

I Have a I7 8700K, 32GB Ram, DCS on SSD, GTX 1080Ti.

I am not able to sustain constant 120fps on Caucasus map and I am very disapointed to be obliged to set my monitor to 60hz in order to avoid stutter issue...

The issue is still present, despite my upper post I suffer from it too and have locked my fps at 60 for now.

I dont think there will be a quick fix from NP, they dont seem to respond.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hello Guys,

Has someone solved this stutter issue between 61 and 119 fps?

I purchased a 165hz G sync 2K monitor yesterday and DCS is soooo smooth at 120fps (when monitor set at 120hz) but when FPS are dropping under 120, turning the head in the cockpit is full of stutter. And like other guys, turning the view with numpad is still smooth even under 120 fps but not with TIR.

I Have a I7 8700K, 32GB Ram, DCS on SSD, GTX 1080Ti.

I am not able to sustain constant 120fps on Caucasus map and I am very disapointed to be obliged to set my monitor to 60hz in order to avoid stutter issue...

hi mate, no the problem has not been solved and it's still here, there is a similar thread here where many other guys as me and you have this issue, others who were claiming to not be affected by this issue have eventualy confirmed they are affected as well.

As you perfectly summarized the stuttering is between 61 - 119 fps , at perfect 60 or 120 -> higher fps there is no stuttering at all.

As there is no way to sustain costant 120 fps in DCS 2.5 we are all forced to lock fps at 60, this is the only solution to our problem.

Now the importan thing is that this stuttetering affects ALL DCS users but some do not recognize it and they say "no its fine we have no stutters", as a matter of fact basis on several tests and proof i gathered from dozenz of DCS users, this is a problem that should be recognized by ED which should properly investigate and found out a solution assuming there is one, or at least found out what the culprit is , probably it is related to how OPENGL used by trackir and direct3D interact.

Furthermore Naturalpoin is completley ignoring us as customers, they have never officialy recognize the issue and their software is 3 years old.

Pls do me a favour and subsribe to this PETITION to natural point inc:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3599265

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

As was said several times: this issue occurs because TrackIR 5 has a fixed update rate of 120Hz. You can either limit frames rate of your games to eg. 40, 60, or 120, or you can alleviate the issue somewhat by increasing the smoothing parameter in the TrackIR software, at the expense of increasing input lag. This has nothing to do with OpenGL or DirectX, it is a fundamental property of input devices. You just don’t notice it as much with mouse and keyboard because their update rate is typically as high as 1000Hz.

Thank you for your answer!

@Goa: i will suscribe the petition.

What a pity to have such a great monitor and not be able to use its power...

yep I agree, it took me 1 year to give up to the fact there is no solution to this problem, but I can guarantee that after a while costant 60fps looks great after all.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Can you use Opentrack software with TRACKIR ? i use it with EDtracker and it works wonderfully, smooth as silk.

Edtracker uses another techonology , basically when paning the head it is as using keyboard or joystick buttons for moving inside the cockpit, that's why it has no stutters, whilst Trackir uses opengl.

• 1 month later...

Goa, I have had a similar problem to you since 2.5b

I will take the time to write a longer post in the near future, but here is the short version.

After many tests, and many disappointments, I started to pin down the correct symptoms:

- Stuttering when framerate goes below 60hz (vsync'ed)

- Framerate goes below 60hz when using sensors (A10C TGP and MAV) __with lots of speedtrees__

- Framerate goes below 60Hz when lots of enemies are aquiring (me) and firing

No sync is not an option, did not appear perfectly smooth like gsync under any circumstances.

My problem is aggravated by the fact i'm not running in fullscreen, I need to extend to a second monitor for a glass cockpit (Ikarus). It is also aggravated by the two exports on that second monitor for both MFCD. Another factor that aggravates the problem is that I am running in nvidia resolution factors (2x factor of 1080p but no antialiasing).

I start flying, very smooth. Get to IP, still smooth, fence in, turn on TGP and MAV, mild stuttering, enemies aquiring, medium to severe stuttering (about 50fps at that moment). At this point it was pretty much unplayable.

After month of tinkering with everything I could, it started to dawn on me that at 50fps, I should still be able to get a pretty playable experience (remember the 15-20 fps days :glare:) but the stuttering was making it unplayable.

One time, I was about to unleash mav hell to a sorry tank company when suddenly, everything went buttery smooth! I looked at the corner with the framerate, it was about 48-52fps. Launched mavs, went to circle pattern to look at the kill and then I realized my headtracker battery was dead cause it was not panning anymore.

So I came to the realization that the stuttering was not 'in the game', it seemed to be caused by some weird timing problem with the TIR STUTTERING when going under refresh rate. With the correct symptom at hand, I started looking for alternative answers. I found it in Process Lasso.

The biggest positive impact was to move the processes around by core affinity and elevating process priority for the Opentrack processes. Here are my Process Lasso configs by process :

I have 16Gb RAM and an i5, so two physical cores (0 and 2) and two hyperthread cores (1 and 3)

DCS

- affinity 2,3

- priority class: above normal

- High performance process option ON

Ikarus

- affinity 0,1

- priority class: below normal (would sometimes hang DCS if higher)

Opentrack.exe and TrackIR.exe

- affinity 1,0

- priority class: High

- High performance process option ON

Realtime priority with Opentrack and Tir processes was even better but if the process hangs the whole computer is hung by that process and will not come back. So I dialed it back down to High.

Goa, I would be curious to know what is the result from trying this on your end.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I have 16Gb RAM and an i5, so two physical cores (0 and 2) and two hyperthread cores (1 and 3)...

i5 6600k is 4 cores 4 threads, there is no hyperthreading in it.

According to this thread : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374 , and to personnal tests, you loose performances in DCS (20% mesured in quoted thread with DCS 1.5.x) if you set affinity to 2 cores instead of all the 4 physical cores.

I'd find it strange if you really have better experience with 2 cores affinity.

i5 6600k is 4 cores 4 threads, there is no hyperthreading in it.

According to this thread : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374 , and to personnal tests, you loose performances in DCS (20% mesured in quoted thread with DCS 1.5.x) if you set affinity to 2 cores instead of all the 4 physical cores.

I'd find it strange if you really have better experience with 2 cores affinity.

I stand corrected! I also exchanged a pm with Goa about this I had a misconception about my processor.

I guess what I am trying to point out is with my particular situation, the stuttering seemed purely a tracking issue when fps != vsync, and that monkeying around with affinity and priority did produce drastic improvements on my end!

Now! Armed with the infinite wisdom that I possess indeed four physical cores it gives me a few ideas on how I can make it even smoother.

I have always felt that departing from 2.2 and going to 2.5b, there is something that my system doesn't like very much.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator