New damage model

bart

This is great news! This along with the Normandy map and other content will be amazing!

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dora has a modelled switch for spaying fuel on the wind shield.

They did this to get rid of spilled oil, from damaged enemy aircraft or the own engine on the wind shield. Would be a nice detail to add this as well :)

+2 since the 109K also had this.

I suppose the reasoning behind this device was primarly providing a de-icer option for the planes.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

They did this to get rid of spilled oil, from damaged enemy aircraft or the own engine on the wind shield. Would be a nice detail to add this as well :)

Sure I like this idea. A few well place rounds and instant fireball!

:megalol:

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Dudes.. gasoline doesn't burn, only gasoline vapours in combination with the oxygen in the air does that.. but in a close environment.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Dafür kann man die ENTEISUNGSANLAGE auch mißbrauchen. Grüße

Getting them to burn isn't the problem! The problem is that once they are on fire it seems to have zero effect on the performance of the aircraft. Then again when you puncture both rads, t doesn't either. It needs to be released soon because it is getting a little tedious that you inflict serious damage on a k4 and it just flies off like nothing happened

Edited by Brigg

I completely agree that fire needs to do some serious damage but I also think it should be able to be put out. Another thing that bothers me is that when you damage the control surfaces of the aircraft it seems to do nothing to it and it just shrugs i off like it was nothing. These are both problems for all the aircraft and need to be fixed.

I hope to see all of these things implemented in the new dm or added to it at a later date.

Fire- Fire needs to do damage to the aircraft and pilot over time. The longer the aircraft/pilot is on fire the more damage it does. You should be able to put out an engine fire if your lucky.

Smoke- Smoke doesn't always mean fire but it does indicate a serious problem with the engine. If your aircraft is smoking then you should see some ill effects to your performance (engine dies, lose power, etc.)

Coolant- Losing coolant is obvious and should cause your engine to overheat, the more coolant you lose the more susceptible your engine is to overheating. Eventually your engine would just die do to overheating.

Oil- Oil does many things for an engine, it lubricates, cools, cleans and does many other things for an engine. Without oil your engine is toast, maybe not right away but over time your performance will go down and eventually lead to engine failure.

Without oil your engine wont cool properly and would eventually lead to overheating even with coolant. Overheating= loss in performance and eventual engine failure.

Fuel/leaks- Fuel needs to have a chance to catch fire/explode. As your fuel tank gets damaged it will produce leaks (even in ss fuel tanks) and the more leaks it has the more likely a fire will occur. If a fuel fire occurs there is really no way to stop it and you would pretty much have to bail out. Fuel fire needs to do tremendous damage and should pretty much be the death of an aircraft.

Control surfaces- Currently when your control surfaces get damaged it doesn't really effect flight performance very much, if at all. If your aileron, tail, wing, etc gets damaged or looks like Swiss cheese then there should definitely be some decrease in performance.

The more damage your controls take, the worse your performance gets.

Structural integrity- As your aircraft takes structural damage it's structural integrity will go down. With decreased integrity you are more likely to snap a wing, lose parts of the aircraft, etc.

It should also decrease performance the worse it gets, as your aircraft gets damaged you shouldn't be pulling high g or speeds for fear of snapping a wing, damaging a part, etc.

These are just a few things I think need alot of work in-game. Some of these things are in already but they aren't modeled very well imo and need alot of work. I would also like to see updated visuals of the dm but that can always be added later and isn't really necessary.

If it hasn't been done already I think we should have a wishlist of all the damage model features we want to see in-game. That way the devs know what we want to see and can add things over time.

Edited by Legion
  • Like 1

It would be nice if the visible damage had a greater effect on flight control. There is some level of loss of control modeled as I've lost pitch control on occasion (couldn't see if I lost the elevator) and if I lost an aileron then the plane became very unstable. Bullet holes in the control surfaces don't seem to have an effect. I shot off one of the elevators from a 51 and the plane maneuvered just fine so I'm not sure what happened there.

I think most of the visual holes, white smoke, black smoke, fire are more just representations of a certain level of hit point damage done, mostly cosmetic. I've had 51s full of holes, belching black smoke who either made it back to base or put up a heck of a fight in that state so, while it had to have an effect, the visible damage must not have equated to actual structural damage.

I have had engine issues much later after being hit that seemed to indicate something was gradually happening. Whether it was a simulation of fluid loss I don't know.

Edited by DarkRaiderss

Will these damage models be applied to early jets at least? such as the MiG-15, and sabre, and eventually more modern ones? (i realize the modern ones aren't as needed due to missiles being the main weapon which... doesn't really require much damage modelling to emulate)

• ED Team
Will these damage models be applied to early jets at least? such as the MiG-15, and sabre, and eventually more modern ones? (i realize the modern ones aren't as needed due to missiles being the main weapon which... doesn't really require much damage modelling to emulate)

I would hope they would find their way to all modules eventually...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I shot off one of the elevators from a 51 and the plane maneuvered just fine so I'm not sure what happened there.

I'm not sure about bullet holes, but from my experience from Mustang Riders tournament a P-51 with one elevator shot off has little chances against undamaged P-51, as it affects turn maneuverability noticeably (probably still no enough, but I don't know really). However, I've never seen P-51 with both elevators are shot off.

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

I'm not sure about bullet holes, but from my experience from Mustang Riders tournament a P-51 with one elevator shot off has little chances against undamaged P-51, as it affects turn maneuverability noticeably (probably still no enough, but I don't know really). However, I've never seen P-51 with both elevators are shot off.

I went back and re-watched it and I was mistaken. The left elevator was still there but half of the stabilizer in front of it was gone. The 51 maneuvered well for a time before I eventually got him.

:smilewink:

+2 since the 109K also had this.

I suppose the reasoning behind this device was primarly providing a de-icer option for the planes.

I don't think spraying fuel would do much to remove ice, unless the fuel is sprayed out very hot (even then, the ice layer would have to be quite thin) or contains a lot of alcohol. You might even make it worse by having the evaporating petrol cool your windscreen down.

Petrol is an excellent solvent for many kinds of contamination though, so I can certainly see it being used to clean the windscreen of oil, grease etc.

I don't think spraying fuel would do much to remove ice, unless the fuel is sprayed out very hot (even then, the ice layer would have to be quite thin) or contains a lot of alcohol. You might even make it worse by having the evaporating petrol cool your windscreen down.

Petrol is an excellent solvent for many kinds of contamination though, so I can certainly see it being used to clean the windscreen of oil, grease etc.

Gasoline (not fuel) used by those engines (or modern 100LL BTW) is an excellent oil remover or even defroster as also is rubbing alcohol, and it's evaporated in just seconds so it isn't any danger.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Gasoline (not fuel) used by those engines (or modern 100LL BTW) is an excellent oil remover or even defroster as also is rubbing alcohol, and it's evaporated in just seconds so it isn't any danger.

S!

Where I come from a liquid hydrocarbon mixture used for fueling spark ignition engines is known as 'Petrol' not 'Gasoline'- the terms mean the same thing, but are used by different dialects of the same language.

Being a non polar liquid of relatively low average molecular mass, petrol or gasoline is (as you and I both said) an excellent solvent for oils or greases. I'm not sure about ice though- as these light hydrocarbons are non-polar compounds they generally won't interact with polar substances like water in any meaningful way. The main way that chemical de-icing works is by adding a substance that acts as a freezing point depressant. In order to do this, the substance has to form inter-molecular interactions with the water molecules in the ice, disrupting the ice crystals and forcing the water to revert to a liquid state. Octane and other hydrocarbons have no polar groups and thus don't form strong polar interactions with water (only dispersion forces, which are very weak due to water's low molar mass), so they can't do this.

The above changes if your petrol/gas contains a water soluble additive like methanol, ethanol or MBTE. These compounds can interact with water molecules and potentially alter the melting point.

Where I come from a liquid hydrocarbon mixture used for fueling spark ignition engines is known as 'Petrol' not 'Gasoline'- the terms mean the same thing, but are used by different dialects of the same language.
You're absolutely right, sometimes it's quite difficult to find a same name in common :smilewink:. Anyway you said fuel, and while it's correct as any gasoline, petrol or whatever is a fuel, but just 'fuel' with no more adjectives is usually (as I know it regarding aviation) the Jet one, so as you know Jet fuel is kinda oily substance and wouldn't remove any oil in your windscreen. That's what I meant :thumbup:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...

I realize it might be a bit optimistic to ask this but I remembered that all the progress screenshots of the new dm were on the spitfire. Now that we know when it will be released I was wondering if the release will be with a this revamped damage model or with an 'old' style damage model while the others are being worked on/finished? IIRC the idea was to release the dm for all aircraft at once so as to avoid an imbalance/unfairness etc.

Cheers,

Defaultface

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

The damage model roll out is, as I understand it, will happen for all 4 modules at the same time. The question of the Spitfire release having it was the time at which this was stated, and as we have had no other contrary announcements, it is a fair bet to assume this is still the current situation.

Though of course, as ED always have the caveat of "everything is subject to change", maybe this has been changed - or not.

That's probably true. I guess we'll have to wait an see.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 4 weeks later...

So could be this has already been answered, but I could finding the answer in the thread history.

Will the new damage model also apply to the AI? Currently they are crazy tough, and fly as though damage doesn't effect them. I've previously shot off one horizontal stabilizer, one aileron, filled both wings with holes, shot the daylights out of the remaining elevator and had the engine trailing fuel and smoke ... didn't cramp the AI's style one bit.

So could be this has already been answered, but I could finding the answer in the thread history.

Will the new damage model also apply to the AI? Currently they are crazy tough, and fly as though damage doesn't effect them. I've previously shot off one horizontal stabilizer, one aileron, filled both wings with holes, shot the daylights out of the remaining elevator and had the engine trailing fuel and smoke ... didn't cramp the AI's style one bit.

I certainly hope so. I think it's on the road map, but I'm really hoping AI can suffer just like we do from hits ruining systems and making life hard.

Video games have that thing where the more damage you do to an AI, the stronger it gets..."BEHOLD MY FINAL FORM!"

With DCS, hopefully they fix this at some point.

Edited by Zilch
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on the timeframe for this with the Spit coming out today? I hope it will stop a lot of the moaning about the performance deficit between the axis and allied aircraft.

If we can spray tons of .303 and cripple the 109's radiators maybe people won't be moaning about the lack of engine power!