Do we have to buy a module for 2.5

jfri

Under the current DCS 2 download it is stated that

'DCS World 2 requires a terrain module. This can be either the DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Map or the DCS: Normandy 1944 Map. DCS World 2.1 will not function without one of these two maps.'

So when 1.5 merges to 2.5 later this month do I have to purchase one of the above terrain modules in order to use the latest 2.5 version ?

No, the new Caucasus map will be free.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Everything moves to 2.5. 2.5 is an upgrade to game (graphic and not only) engine not a gimmick to ask again for money.

Nevada, Normandy, (new) Caucasus and all the modules and campaigns will work under 2.5.

1.5 will stop being supported

2.2 will stay just until 2.5 will get from Beta to Main/Stable/Release (whatever the name is used)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Everything moves to 2.5. 2.5 is an upgrade to game (graphic and not only) engine not a gimmick to ask again for money.

Nevada, Normandy, (new) Caucasus and all the modules and campaigns will work under 2.5.

1.5 will stop being supported

2.2 will stay just until 2.5 will get from Beta to Main/Stable/Release (whatever the name is used)

I would imagine 2.2 will be obsolete immediately. I mean it is alpha, so why would it exist when 2.5 will be at least that, and maybe beta on release.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

My only question for the past 3 years still remains:

When will DCS stop fiddling around and finally join all multiple versions and modules into 1 coherent product? We are in 2018...

In other words what is he point of producing dozens of aircraft modules when your main product is not complete, even worse, it is delayed for like a 3 years....

When will DCS stop fiddling around and finally join all multiple versions and modules into 1 coherent product? We are in 2018...

In other words what is he point of producing dozens of aircraft modules when your main product is not complete, even worse, it is delayed for like a 3 years....

2.5 early access starts at the end of the month as stated by ED. Your wait will end shortly.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

exactly when I am moving and changing isp as well.....sigh

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Things aren't as simple as you may think.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You seem to be thinking of software like we did back in the pre-internet days. A constantly evolving product like DCS is never "finished" or "complete".

And the "point of producing dozens of aircraft modules" is simple: generate income to allow the development of the core sim (and future modules). I know this sounds like complete crazy talk, but the 80-ish people working for ED actually get paid for their work (apparently even Russians need money; who'd have thunk it?). When you give away your base product for free, the money needs to come from somewhere else.

• Like 2

End of month ? Well i will believe in that when i see it, not until then.

But they promised!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wags stated it was a promise, not a prediction.

Very rare for him to be that explicit on an upcoming release, so I would wager we will indeed have it by the end of this month.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The end of a long, and very complex change to the graphics engine is in sight. I can understand your frustration, we are all in the same boat.

And I can assure you that the guys at ED feel it too. It can't have been easy releasing every update twice - just think of all the extra man hours needed just for that!

The real point however is that ED have listened, and they're not making the mistakes that have been made in the past by releasing 2.5 in an incomplete state. When it comes, the vast majority of missions will have been updated to work with it too. It's been a huge task.

You seem to be thinking of software like we did back in the pre-internet days. A constantly evolving product like DCS is never "finished" or "complete".

Indeed. It can only be abandoned, and we don't won't that, do we? :D

Wags stated it was a promise, not a prediction.

Very rare for him to be that explicit on an upcoming release, so I would wager we will indeed have it by the end of this month.

Yep, we don't see that very often, so I'm sure they'll deliver.

As I understand it, they've already finished the ground work and it's mostly updating the campaigns/missions to work on the new map. While I'm sure it's mind numbingly boring work (having done similar things myself in the past) it's not exactly "difficult". I.E. it's just a matter of time, and not a long time at that.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

To be honest, I pretty much believe that we will always see somethings like this, even after 2.5 release. Its because there´s so much to simulate (which is great). And if you compare Lock on and the current DCS Version you´ll clearly notice that its 2018 ;).

Its a great thing that ED is providing those alpha/beta Versions. One can but one does not have to join the beta and the alpha. Just pick the Version you prefer and let them do their great work. And dont forget that most of the currently available modules were created by 3rd Party developers, ED themselfs does not have many Modules released so far, they focus mainly on the Software itself...excluded the F/A-18 of course :)

Edited by MemphisBelle
  • Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Let's hope ED won't sell the business to EA..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I would imagine 2.2 will be obsolete immediately. I mean it is alpha, so why would it exist when 2.5 will be at least that, and maybe beta on release.

2.2 gets updated to 2.5, so it cease to exist.

1.5.x dies and gets to pushed legacy and becomes unsupported as is (but still available for those who use it).

And then we will again have only two install base options, a "stable" and "open beta".

So we will get again simple management for DCS. Just download maps + modules you have space etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I believe that there is huge market for a next "Ace Combat Assault Horizon"...

Then you can get all the modules to be bought every year, with huge updates to graphics and gameplay like in new clouds in 2.6!

So 2018 you see "DCS 2.9" and at the end of year "3.1" all only for 399,99.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Who knows what's going on in Vince Zampella's head.

:puke::puke:

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I believe ED is actually in this for the long haul.

I joined the community in 2010 for DCS Black Shark. Back then, this was their only high fidelity module, and it was not MP compatible with LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs.

Then the A-10C came along, and it was stand-alone, just like Ka-50 Black Shark.

Obviously, that sucked. So they decided to create a universal base game that would include Ka-50, A-10C and the entire Flaming Cliffs series, and would allow each of these aircraft to be flown in MP together.

The downside was that they couldn't just plug these modules together, there were dependencies. For instance, the Ka-50 cockpit needed to be entirely re-done, which was so much work that they decided they couldn't give it away for free (which they had originally planned to do). So ED re-did the Ka-50 cockpit.

The result was DCS World, a unified "simulator operating system".

But the graphics engine sucked, because it was soooo outdated. So they developed a new graphics engine, and gave it away for free. Those who remember DCS 1.2 and before will know just how huge the leap from DX9 to DX11 was with DCS 1.5.

In the meantime, those who pre-purchased the A-10C were promised to get a copy of the NTTR map. But to the best of my knowledge, the "existing" NTTR map sucked, and had to be recreated from scratch.

Now if it was me, I might have created a map that very loosely resembled NTTR and considered the obligation fulfilled. But not ED. If you look at the NTTR map... actually, I don't know how to describe in writing the amount of awe that I feel when flying there. This is not just "an obligation fulfilled". The map is just insanely beautiful. The amount of detail is mind-blowing.

Yeah, sure, it took a while, and it certainly took longer than anyone expected and wanted. Was it worth the wait? Hell yeah!

Then there was this whole WWII debacle. I was never invested in it, but AFAIK, ED took the obligations promised by an unrelated company on themselves, even though they never saw a penny of the original kickstarter funds. Yet they did deliver almost everything that was originally promised to the WWII kickstarter backers.

Nowadays we're on the verge of yet another epic switch. If Wags' videos are any indication, the switch from DCS 1.5 to 2.5, most importantly the new Caucasus terrain, which is re-worked, beautified and offered, once again, for free, is going to be yet another giant leap in the development of DCS.

And while we take 1.5 and 2.0 for granted, we shouldn't forget about the "small" features, like the ability to assign controls in SP and MP while missions are running, and the ability to change the sound options in-game, and the unified MP-interface, and... well, a huge list of stuff that was added with little fuzz and very little recognition over the years.

So yeah, we're in 2018, and we're very close to seeing 2.5 come alive. :thumbup:

But when someone makes it sound like ED never did anything right, and we're entitled to this new version... I dunno, I think ED actually did exactly the right things within that time-frame that I've been a customer, and I think DCS has become soooo much better within the last couple of years, that I just can't see how blaming them for not releasing 2.5 earlier makes any sense whatsoever. Ultimately, though, we all know it's going to be 2 weeks. Dang. 7 more days, and that would have been the perfect closing line in regards to 2.5 :D

• Like 2

Well said Yurgon.

I to have been here since 2011 and seen the advancement in the technology and detail in the game, all for the price of a few modules, a lot of the time marked down in sales.

I don't take 1.5 or 2.2 for granted, I am amazed every time I start the game up how everything works seamlessly together, TIR, pedals, joystick and throttle etc.

I am chalking the days off preparing to be even more amazed.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional