Helios FAQ

Hello all

I added a new section on my site with the usually asked questions about Helios and my profiles.

I am going to collect those questions here too, to try help people find solutions faster. if you want to contribute, post your question and/or solution, here, and i'll update the main post, time to time.

Here you got the first list:

Frequently asked questions :

-- Helios projecting cockpit dashboard on the wrong monitor

You have to reset monitors in your Helios profile. Use the Helios Profile Editor and do a "reset monitors", make the monitor numbers match the Windows monitor numbers.

-- Helios dashboard dont fit completly my monitor

There are a lot of monitor aspect ratios and resolutions. You must use the profile that best fit with your resolution. If the aspect ratio of your monitor is not the same as the profile, you can see an empty space on the right, or on the bottom.

-- After reset monitors, my profile miss some labels, letters or numbers

When Helios scale the profile to fit with your monitor configuration, he scale the font sizes of all the existing labels on the profile (letters and numbers). Sometimes, the scale of the font dont fit well with the scale of the label-box itself, and that cause the text disapear. to fix it, just click on the label-box and make it a bit bigger, till the text appears again. Then save again your profile.

-- After reset monitors, my profile dont work at all, any gauge or switches moves when they do on the cockpit (Usually configurations with 3 or more monitors)

sometimes, converting to systems with 3 or more monitors, Helios move the graphics to the correct monitor, but not the bindings. They stay in monitor 2, even if you move everything to monitor 3, or other. To solve this problem, look the number where you put it the profile inside and open the profile in notepad++ and using the tool replace, replace all the "monitor 2" by your correct number. For example "monitor 3"

-- I can see red squares with a big black X inside, on my profile

Helios can't find the images in the correct place. Revise and be sure you put all the images of the profile in the correct folder, usually in my documents/Helios/images

-- No gauges working at all.

probably you got a problem in the export.lua of DCS

check if you are using the correct export.lua for your profile, and check if you put it in the correct place, usually in "my saved games/DCS/scripts"

-- In Windows 10, DCS dont receive the switches actions from Helios, but Helios receive the cockpit switches actions from DCS

If everything is installed in the correct place, and the problem persist, try runnig Helios in Administrator mode.

If you are using windows10, the UAC can block the outputs from Helios to DCS.

To be sure, everything is correctly installed, open helios in administrator mode, then open notepad with an empty document, and mantain focus on it. When you click on the buttons or switches, you can see some letters appears on the notepad document.

Thats mean Helios is sending the keyboard command correctly.

If DCS dont get the keyboards from Helios, probably is because the UAC, try to low a level of security and try again.

-- Helios is working good, but i can't see the MFCs or the Abris, Skhival, etc

To see the different viewports from the game you need to be sure you are using the correct monitor configuration files, and the airplane related .luas.

Each installation package, have all the files you need to prepare the game to export the viewports to the other monitor. So read the instruction and install using JSGM the correct ones.

--Helios do not recognize the correct size for UHD 4K monitor resolutions

In Windows 10, right-click on desktop --> Display Settings

For the UHD (4K)-display move the slider "Change the size of text, apps and other items" to the left (100%).

Helios will now recognize the screen resolutions correctly.

--From DCS 1.5.5 export.lua dont work anymore

if you are using one of my export.lua, look for this line:

os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

and comment it like this:

-- os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

That fix the problem.

Or use the latest export.lua from the web site.

to be continued....

Edited by Capt Zeen

• 3 weeks later...

Sir, I've done everything I know to do to solve this issue. I had helios working fine on win 8.1. I've even helped other people set theirs up. Switched to windows 10 and can get neither the guages running, nor DCS to receive commands from helios. Export.lua is in the right place, Run Helios, DCS, in ADMIN, and also turned UAC & firewall all the way off. Even added a goofy line to the export.lua to see if it showed up in the log, which it did. I'm stumped. I also tried disconnecting my 3rd monitor. No response from Helios when i load dcs, gauges don't function, button presses see no keystrokes in Notepad

Edited by Beeroshima

OK, here you got your fixed KA50 profie.

The problems was the 4th in the list. using 3 or more monitors, Helios dont do the reset monitors very well, and dont move the bindings to the correct monitor. To solve the problem just follow the intructions. Anyway, here you got the file already fixed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5mdZ8jTY3lqUEx0MlNnOWRNV2s

The A10C profile you send me has lost all the bindings on one of the procces you did. So start again from a original profile, and check, at the end, using notepad++ if the bindings are in the correct monitor. (The bindings are in the last half part of the code)

OK, here you got your fixed KA50 profie.

The problems was the 4th in the list. using 3 or more monitors, Helios dont do the reset monitors very well, and dont move the bindings to the correct monitor. To solve the problem just follow the intructions. Anyway, here you got the file already fixed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5mdZ8jTY3lqUEx0MlNnOWRNV2s

The A10C profile you send me has lost all the bindings on one of the procces you did. So start again from a original profile, and check, at the end, using notepad++ if the bindings are in the correct monitor. (The bindings are in the last half part of the code)

I sincerely thank you. Apologies for not finding this. I actually tried disconnecting my 3rd monitor but it didn't occur to me to start with a fresh install after disconnecting it. Life is good again.

• 1 month later...

Capt Z

Are you considering doing a profile for the Viggen when it comes out?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Finished the basis of Helis Captain Zeen and saved my LUA file to .../config/monitor setup.

When I launched the game, I don't see the LUA file.

I launch the game under the local machine, not under STEAM.

Did you save the lua in your saved games under yourname/saved games/dcs/config/

Sent when i should be working instead

Hope you went to bed early!

> positioned my Helios1.lua in myname/saved games/dcs/confing

> tested - still can't see it in DCS options

> ran DCS Repair

I think the issue started when I was experimenting with Easy Monitor Configurator

Researched the forums at lenght

Renamed a default profile in Monitor setup. That was my solution.

Observation:

Does anyone have a current link for the Capt Zeen package shown below? It doesn't work.

"...

Get the complete CaptZeen-KA50_v1.0 Helios profile package, width images from

https://mega.co.nz/#!ZxEWFQQK!91pbKMDmPStIMlH8trMJ6kmcoY1ocrj1m6ndCNiFo2M..."

Edited by dragon11721

T monitor config

Ok throwing this out there to see if someone can help. I fly DCS a-10c, I have 3 27 in monitors and a 19 in. They are set up in a T configuration. I am trying to get my exports on the 19 in monitor but cant. main screen is 5760x1080 with 1366x768 for the bottom 19 in. in game I can extend the res to 5760X1440 or 5760x1848, which does let me move the MFD to the lower screen but also extends the main view to it also.

below is the monitor.lua and pic of my setup and how it looks

As you can see in the lower monitor you can see the cockpit gauges..

Thanks guys

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('WAD Screen');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 3;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 3;

},

Center =

{

x = screen.width / 3;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 2 / 3;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 2175;

y = 1073;

width = 370;

height = 377;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 3185;

y = 1073;

width = 377;

height = 372;

}

RWR_SCREEN =

{

x = 3900;

y = -10;

width = 200;

height = 200;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

--[[

also you can use "displays" table to perfectly match you configuration .

it is generated by DCS automatically.

displays table is contains information about all currently attached displays

for example my setup is :

displays =

{

[1] =

{

x = 0, -- note : x == 0 and y == 0 is always mark primary windows display

y = 0,

width = 1920,

height = 1200

},

[2] =

{

x = -1440, -- mark that secondary display is on left side of primary display

y = 0,

width = 1440,

height = 900

},

... for all displays

}

screen table also contain x, y members which mark top left corner of DCS window

note about fullscreen : directx doesn't allow fullscreen applications with resolutions more than primary display can handle,

so multimonitor presets in DCS will fall back to windowed mode if fullscreen initialization failed ( this info also will be printed to dcs.log)

for reconfigure viewports setup for each unit type independently you can declare here function

function reconfigure_for_unit(unit_type) --unit type is string with unit name

if unit_type == "A-10C" then

Viewports = ... define new Viewports table

-- also you can define cockpit displays viewports here

RIGHT_MFCD = ... define new RIGHT_MFCD viewport

else

Viewports = ... define default for others

RIGHT_MFCD = nil -- remove for others

end

end

--]]

15894650_10157942554805167_5586352808857121694_n.jpg.c599f11e89f86d25b11e84f90ad83661.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Capt Zeen

Can you help on this issue?

sobe

Tacan dials in Loz A-10c Helios Profile

I am running Loz's A-10c profile in Win10 and just noticed that the Tacan channel dials in the profile do not work. The channel dials in the game work fine. I looked at the Tacan controls in the Tacan controls part of the game controls in DCS and noticed that there is no keyboard assignments for them.

I am pretty sure that at least 6 months ago, the tacan controls in Loz's profile worked. Am I wrong? Is anyone else having this issue?:helpsmilie:

[FSF]Ian 04-24-2017 04:14 AM

In DCS 1.5.6.1938, the implementation details of the TACAN panel in the A-10C were changed. Here's the commit that fixed it in DCS-BIOS (the diff shows what values changed):

https://github.com/dcs-bios/dcs-bios...938b0fcaf29078

The TACAN controls now have their own device ID and different button numbers than before.

Capt Z.

The ILS dials seem to still work except for the power button. I made some key commands for the Tacan panel and used the shift function on my throttle panel to assign the commands to some buttons and it worked. But when I tried to do the same in Helios, I could not get it to work.

Edited by sobe
last paragraph new

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hey there Capt Zeen.

I have just started flying the Huey and am trying to implement your UH-1H profile accordingly.

While I am able to have most of the buttons and switches on the panel update the cockpit in DCS I am unable to have anything in DCS reflect in the Helios panel. I have tried using both the "export.lua" file from with in HU-1H package as well as the one in the MIG-21 package (listed a the top in the green notes). I am also using the "UH-1H default keys for lastest DCS versions - 29/Sep/2016 ( use it for DCS v1.5.4 +)" key bindings.

Any idea why I am not getting anything from DCS reflected in the Helios panel?

Attached are my Helios profile files.

(the "..._port..." is because I have my second monitor in a portrait orientation)

HUEY_V1.0b_eng_port.zip

All the best,

Slarti.

Where did you save the export.lua

The instructions say to copy it into "C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" however I don't have such a folder so searched for my existing 'export.lua' file and found it in:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts

So I renamed the "Export.lua" file that was in that folder and copied in the file located in this package (which I got from the top of the downloads page).

Cheers,

Slarti.

The instructions say to copy it into "C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" however I don't have such a folder so searched for my existing 'export.lua' file and found it in:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts

So I renamed the "Export.lua" file that was in that folder and copied in the file located in this package (which I got from the top of the downloads page).

Cheers,

Slarti.

You should have just made the scripts folder and put the export.lua in there. If you modified the one in the program files it will be overwritten when you do updates or repairs to your install.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Did you move your saved games? The C:\Users\*your login*\Saved Games folder is created automagically by Windows.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Did you move your saved games? The C:\Users\*your login*\Saved Games folder is created automagically by Windows.

Oh, wow. That has worked perfectly!

I so wasn't expecting it to work but yup, works like a charm (:

It turns out I did actually have a "Saved Games" folder in my "...\Users\Slartibartfast" folder, I just didn't recognize it before as it has a different looking icon to regular folders but yeah, sure was there and it had a "DCS" folder inside it. I had to make the "Scripts" folder inside the the "DCS" folder but once I made it and copied across the "MIG-21" Export.lua file it all works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

I'm most impressed.

(: