** DCS: F-14 Development Update - September!! **

Cobra847

I wonder if DCS will consider putting out a boxed promotional package like the one EA released for Jane's F-15 20 years ago. I wouldn't mind a collection of F-14 squadron patches to go along with it!

considering heatblurs track record, i'd rather not. it would be frustrating for everyone involved.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also really didn't care for the 2017 holiday season gift card sale of the F-14, I thought that was kind of disingenuous. The person that bought it for me and themselves, bought it for me because they were under the impression it would be released that Holiday season, not this upcoming one. If it is even coming this Holiday season, since that is an unknown.

I wasn't aware they did that (I was out of the country at the time). That's a big misstep on their part.

I wasn't aware they did that (I was out of the country at the time). That's a big misstep on their part.

That's the point I, and I believe yngvef, are getting at.

Devs in the most part try to manage expectations and minimise hype until they've given a solid release date to minimise whining/grief. I'm not sure it's wise of Heatblur to whip up hype before a release date is given as surely that's only going to make that worse.

Regardless of what you, me and everybody else thinks of this whole PR thing, I think 1. We just have to deal with it and 2. We will forget everything once its released. The DCS community is a difficult one to please as most of its players are 'grown-ups' with the ability to think for themselves and express their opinion in well.. a noisy way. I also find that hype-trains derailing are also partly on the community as most people are not able to manage their own expectations, regardless of the PR or history of a developer. When ever has a module released on a random date with no further explanation from the dev on what will happen that day? Never. So how can you even expect it to do so? Again, regardless of all the PR and hype around it. I'll just chill and see what happens on October 7th, I'll take everything as long as its not an aerobatic bi-plane reveal.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I'll take everything as long as its not an aerobatic bi-plane reveal.

I'll laugh/cringe if it's the soundtrack release.:music_whistling:

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Devs in the most part try to manage expectations and minimise hype until they've given a solid release date to minimise whining/grief. I'm not sure it's wise of Heatblur to whip up hype before a release date is given as surely that's only going to make that worse.

I agree. People expect to see proportional announcement. The silhouetted delta wing on the home page, the count down clock suggests something bigger than "we'll have it ready for Christmas!" kind of an announcement.

It's a good thing to build the hype-train, but customers response will be correspondingly higher. So it's a dual edge sword.

Also, giving a monthly quick update is something all devs should do. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic, just "here's where we are, here's what we're working on" No need to announce "we'll release around XYZ" s people will take it as gospel no matter how many "it's only a guess" disclaimers you put on it.

Looking forward to the Oct reveal! Maybe I'll finally get to use the credit that I purchased 9-10 months (?) ago.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The silhouetted delta wing on the home page, the count down clock suggests something bigger than "we'll have it ready for Christmas!" kind of an announcement.

It's a good thing to build the hype-train, but customers response will be correspondingly higher. So it's a dual edge sword.

Exactly my thoughts. This hype train already rolls faster than anything I've seen in DCS, and they were the ones putting on the coal with that counter. Counting down until the start of another countdown would be a bit like "crying wolf". Also, many of us have already paid for it in a way, when they released those vouchers/ cards at the end of last year.

Before anyone misses my point, if they release the F-14 in 2 months it's OK with me, but then what's the point of this hype train going nowhere?

Going nowhere?

The hype train stops with the release of one of the most longed for releases in ED history, completes with new carriers, AI assets, campaign, multicrew and jester AI.

Like everyone else I'd like the release sooner rather than later, but anything leading up to the items above deserves all the hype no matter what.

Heatblur just does it in style.

Since we will have a live event- I would suspect a trailer, a feature showcase and probably a release date- but no matter what- as long as the end product is solid, that is all that matters.

I don't mind delays all that much. I know the task of developing these things must be huge and the teams are fairly small. I am a massive supporter of DCS and have played these sims on and off since Flanker 2.0. I am not about to leave over a delay.

But, I do mind putting a fullscreen 30-day live countdown (with seconds) on anything less than release date. It's just bad form, and will cause outrage.

So, dear Heatblur: if you need more time, take it. Explain why you need more time and most of the community will understand (a few vocal minorities will shout, but they always do). But don't hype up a trailer, live event or paint scheme reveal. It will be a mistake.

Indeed. My point exactly.

Flyable F-14 in October, 2018. It's going to happen. You know it in your heart.

Turn off your brain and get on the hype train... it's got no brakes, and the air is nice.

#blindfaith

If I'm wrong, who cares?

Also, if they can make the A-6 sexy as hell in a promo, imagine what they have for the F-14 on Oct 7 :)

by the way, whoever was responsible for that a-6 promo is supremely talented!!

Edited by Banzaiib

It is standard for all modules to have a pre-sale period. I will be VERY surprised if you get a Tomcat in October. December (Or November) is more likely.

I am betting that the countdown is for the unveiling/showcase. This is standard practice with a lot of tech/car companies as well. Build the hype- unveil- let preorders fill up, then release.

It is painful to the consumer, but it is still good marketing.

Regardless of what you, me and everybody else thinks of this whole PR thing, I think 1. We just have to deal with it and 2. We will forget everything once its released. The DCS community is a difficult one to please as most of its players are 'grown-ups' with the ability to think for themselves and express their opinion in well.. a noisy way. I also find that hype-trains derailing are also partly on the community as most people are not able to manage their own expectations, regardless of the PR or history of a developer. When ever has a module released on a random date with no further explanation from the dev on what will happen that day? Never. So how can you even expect it to do so? Again, regardless of all the PR and hype around it. I'll just chill and see what happens on October 7th, I'll take everything as long as its not an aerobatic bi-plane reveal.

Then if it's just a pilot body stuck to a hang glider you'll be the only satisfied one here :P

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I dont get this. We have seen many development previews. If its not a release then why to put a countdown?

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430

Not a surprise. Same thing with the Viggen. Reveal Livestream in November, release in January. So this time Reveal stream in October, release in December.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm