2.5 installation with insufficient HDD/SSD space

Holton181

I got an idea how one can benefit from both 1.5 and 2.2 when installing 2.5 without sufficient HDD/SSD space. I don't know if it will work, but I'll share my thoughts if anyone else are interested in trying or have information why it won't work.

Prerequisites:

A) Willingness to uninstall either 1.5 or 2.2 during the process.

B) Sufficient HDD/SSD TOTAL space divided over two or more HDD/SSD. If on the limit, deactivate and remove modules from 1.5. Most likely the 2.2 ones are more close to the 2.5, but still contains much files identical to 1.5 if re-installation is wanted.

C) The 2.5 installer work in a similar fashion as the updaters for 1.5 and 2.2, i.e. an update can start to download/copy content even if not sufficient HDD/SSD space are available, it continues until all space has been depleted and stops, can be continued after more space have been freed up. This is where the uncertainty lies.

Process:

1) Start 2.5 installer and let it download/copy as much content it can.

2) When all space on the installation drive are depleted and the installer stops, move some of the downloaded/copied folders to another drive. Not to much, most likely storage headroom are needed for all involved drives.

3) Create junctions (mklink /J Link Target, Windows) to all moved folders in the original location.

4) Restart the installer.

5) One might need to repeat steps 2 to 4 untill all installation data is available .

6) When all data has been downloaded/copied, further installation progress will come to a stop due to insufficient space.

7) Deactivate and remove modules and base game of selected version/s (1.5, 2.2 or both).

8) Restart the installer (hopefully for the last time) and let it finish.

9) If any temporary folders from the installation process still exist on the other drives involved, simply delete them. Done!

This is only an idea, a little tedious but worth a shot for anyone who likes to limit data costs or download time. Can of course be useful with only one or more than two versions already installed.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Why dont you just delete the install and leave your saved games folder intact? Then when you download 2.5 and install, wont you still have everything left over (like your bindings, scores, missions, etc) from the saved games folder?

TJ

I know, but then most of the game needs to be downloaded, instead of copied from 2.2.

I'm on a data plan, don't want to waste it if I can avoid it.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Wouldnt a Symbolic Link work as well?

Move 1.5 and 2.2 to a separate HDD (or even External)

Create Symbolic Links for both directories in the same space you start your DCS Updater.

Start the 2.5 Installation routine. If it checks those Symbolic Links (as the game does perfectly with INPUT files), it shoud copy those files.

Maybe worth a shot.

Same Process as this one:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Wouldnt a Symbolic Link work as well?

Move 1.5 and 2.2 to a separate HDD (or even External)

Create Symbolic Links for both directories in the same space you start your DCS Updater.

Start the 2.5 Installation routine. If it checks those Symbolic Links (as the game does perfectly with INPUT files), it shoud copy those files.

Maybe worth a shot.

Same Process as this one:

Indeed why not. Symlinks and junctions are in this respect the same, I just prefer junctions. And if you have the space available for an entire 1.5/2.2 installation on another drive, go for it I say, I don't have it. But moving a big part of one of the installs is actually a better idea than to mock around with installation files. Thanks for the tip!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I have 1.5 beta and 2.2 (NTTR and Normandy) with most modules. I wonder if 40GB of free space will be enough for 1.5 -> 2.5 update?
Do you talk about updating 1.5 beta to 2.5 beta? Or a 2.5 release?

I believe they mentioned something around 14Gb for the new Caucasus, and NTTR and Normandy will be duplicated (I'm not sure about their size, maybe 10Gb in total? Not at my computer).

If you only will go for the 1.5 beta to 2.5 beta I would guess it will work.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Do you talk about updating 1.5 beta to 2.5 beta? Or a 2.5 release?

I believe they mentioned something around 14Gb for the new Caucasus, and NTTR and Normandy will be duplicated (I'm not sure about their size, maybe 10Gb in total? Not at my computer).

If you only will go for the 1.5 beta to 2.5 beta I would guess it will work.

yep, I meant upgrading 1.5 beta to 2.5 beta. Hope it will be enough...

BTW, 2.2 terrains folder is 42.9GB (33.7GB Nevada, 9.18 Normandy). :D

Holly Sh... Chorizo! 42.9Gb!

Well, then I would assume the new Caucasus will be substantially bigger than 14Gb.

Good luck, I say...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I think I am just going to go ahead and uninstall both 1.5 Open Beta and 1.5 Stable Release, leaving 2 Open Alpha intact. That should give me enough room for 2.5 installation, and allow it to copy files over from Nevada and Normandy.

Caucasus will just have to be downloaded fresh.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

ED should at least tell us the 2.5 size before releasing it, so that we could have preparation for it.I had only 128G SSD and have 1.5&2.2 all install on it, and I'm gonna move them to HDD before install 2.5 on SSD. If the 2.5 is bigger than 128G, whoops, I gotta buy a 240G ssd.

Not sure how large the module files are, but don't forget that they're duplicated in both 1.5.8 and 2.2. When we go to 2.5, we'll have only one installations of the modules so the files should be smaller than 1.5.8 and 2.2 combined.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

ED should at least tell us the 2.5 size before releasing it, so that we could have preparation for it.I had only 128G SSD and have 1.5&2.2 all install on it, and I'm gonna move them to HDD before install 2.5 on SSD. If the 2.5 is bigger than 128G, whoops, I gotta buy a 240G ssd.
Depending on amount of modules, bout 100Gb:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3363186

Not officiall ED statement, but a trustworthy source.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Recent information on how the updater for 2.5 will work:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3364458#post3364458

I will have to uninstall either 1.5 Open Beta and Stable Release, or 2 Open Alpha. Now I am not sure which way best for me to go lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Size of 2.2 with all maps and modules was 78Gb in my PC. So 2.5 must be larger.

I deleted most of original Liveries and uninstalled all modules in 2.2 which i have on main SSD. Now 2.2 has +60Gb.

I hope 90Gb will be enough.

Edited by paura19

Recent information on how the updater for 2.5 will work:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3364458#post3364458

I will have to uninstall either 1.5 Open Beta and Stable Release, or 2 Open Alpha. Now I am not sure which way best for me to go lol.

Don I am the same.

I have 69.1 Gb free space on my Eagle Dynamics SSD. I can move 13 Gb of mods that I use with OVGME and I guess removing all the plane modules from one or another of the installs will free up 10.2 Gbs

Leaving 8Gb short. Hmmm maybe I need to loose all aircraft modules and stick em on a spare drive:huh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahh ... next time, DCS 3.0 should come in a special retail edition preloaded on a 250 GB SSD :lol:

Great for active military or dataplan people.

Additional Shipping Options:

• Paradrop via C-130 (Only to US military bases)
  • Paradrop via Il-76-TD (Only to RU military bases)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria