Bomb Weapons falling through terrain ?

Worrazen

Hi

I'm seeing many types of bombs fall through terrain and disappear, I'm not sure whether or not some of these need to be activated, they're free fall bombs, I've seen it when AI B-52 bombers get shot down they release the bombs which don't explode, now I've went several runs with A-10A as a player and the only bomb I've seen working is the first ones which come in 3 units and seem to only produce smoke.

I'm not sure if this affects weapons across the board or has something to do with aircraft targeting, but I surely cannot test all the planes and bombs in the game so I made a greneral thread.

I didn't snap pics, but I will from now on and if I catch it I'll post it here.

EDIT1:

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

These non-exploding bombs haven't got armed so they won't explode.

They only arm them when they engage targets, but while flight or jettison they are unarmed

How does a simple free fall bomb engage a target ?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The BDU's are practice bombs. They don't explode. Use a Mk-x bomb and you will get a boom.

Jettisoned weapons are not armed when they are jettisoned so those will not explode regardless of what weapon type they are.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Jettisoned weapons are not armed when they are jettisoned so those will not explode regardless of what weapon type they are.

Would they explode in real life ? Aren't training bombs suppose to make some at least physical indication where they hit ?

So The A10A has three bombs, two homing missiles, one type of rockets, that's it ? :huh:

There's just 1 more version of each without much difference so I didn't count those. And I didn't count 1 type of AA missiles because of the role type of this aircraft, so that's expected.

Edited by Worrazen

Would they explode in real life ?

Think about that for a minute. When you jettison weapons, in an emergency, would you want the weapons to explode? The potential for bad things happening would be enourmous.

No, they don't explode in RL either.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Think about that for a minute. When you jettison weapons, in an emergency, would you want the weapons to explode? The potential for bad things happening would be enourmous.

No, they don't explode in RL either.

But you're talking about modern A-10A bombs, not all the rest from WW2 right ?

What about cluser bombs, and that whole fiasco. Maybe that's different cause they were meant to explode in the beginning ?

Edited by Worrazen

But you're talking about modern A-10A bombs, not all the rest from WW2 right ?

I don't know all of the details, but I would imagine that even in WWII, they were smart enough to not jettison armed weapons.

I don't know all of the details, but I would imagine that even in WWII, they were smart enough to not jettison armed weapons.

What about when you don't have a choice, when the weapons fall down with the aircraft shot down ?

With all the reports of how unexploded bombs still go off, not sure how not engaging it and still dropping it in the middle up nowhere will be all safe and sound.

I'm not sure how free fall bombs are handled, I thought these never need to "activate", like carpet bombing with B-52 or B-2.

Well, I guess many newer ones don't explode, but going through the terrain sure makes it look absolutely horrible.

I guess Fat Man didn't had to engage the Nagasaki target https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_fuze

EDIT: The BDU-33 do produce white smoke, the ones I was talking about earlier, shouldn't the BDU-50 do some other color, bigger smoke then ?

Edited by Worrazen

Fat Man was an air burst bomb. It likely used some time of barometric pressure sensor to determine it's altitude and exploded at a predetermined setting.

Well, these are the weapons I can use manually, since i'm using A-10A for like a few days, 4, I haven't had the chance to try any of the existing loadouts yet.

But I did try 19 Rockets, then I switched over to bigger ones which are 7 per pod to try against strong tanks T-90.

Seems like the ones that exist in pre-made loadouts I can't select.

Going to use the big Mk ones now ...

Edited by Worrazen

Rockets won't do any noticeable damage to a tank. They are designed for softer targets.

Fat Man was an air burst bomb. It likely used some time of barometric pressure sensor to determine it's altitude and exploded at a predetermined setting.

A bit off topic, but interesting discussion indeed. Both first A-bombs had combined fusing sytem with the first, barometric component arming the second, radar one (as the barometric is not good enough for setting off at precise altitude). The fun fact is, the radar altimeter was based on "our" APS-13 radar modelled in DCS Mustang.

I think both bombs had contact fuses as well, but only as an emergency backup.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.