[Need your suggestion] JF-17 IFF in MP

uboats

Well I have no idea why BS would not put the line in their briefing (they haven't). I would challenge anyone with common sense to reason why forcing individual IFF makes any sense on a public server. Nevertheless, the actions of a server group is not a reason to halt playing a certain module, that makes no sense. Boycott based on something reasonable like the radar not stabilising or the avionics crashing or the lack of keybinds rather than the apparent inaction of a group of server admins, right?

And this is the source of my worry and why im holding off on buying the JF-17 =P.

Most People in DCS are not cordinated enough for this to work reliably.

And having to rely on the servers i play forcing the IFF setting is not ideal as it very much limits where i can play.

Personally i very much prefer Simple IFF for the JF-17 untill ED makes advanced/realistic IFF game wide.

Since as is with the JF-17 having realistic IFF but everything else having Simple it just hurts JF-17 pilots

(making JF-17 vs JF-17 blue on blue incidents far more likely).

And it pains me since i really like the JF-17 and Small single engine fighters are what i love.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Well I have no idea why BS would not put the line in their briefing (they haven't). I would challenge anyone with common sense to reason why forcing individual IFF makes any sense on a public server. Nevertheless, the actions of a server group is not a reason to halt playing a certain module, that makes no sense. Boycott based on something reasonable like the radar not stabilising or the avionics crashing or the lack of keybinds rather than the apparent inaction of a group of server admins, right?

How is this a boycott?

I buy a module if i think i will enjoy playing it.

I only play DCS in MP.

And i only play on a particular set of servers.

If i think i wont be able to enjoy flying the JF-17 due to the way the IFF is simulated why should i buy it?...

Im not telling anybody else not to buy it or that i Dislike Deka etc...

Im not demanding that they change it and cater to my desires.

Im just saying that with how the IFF is currently simulated it would likely cause me more distress then enjoyment if i were to buy it and play online with it.

:(

Edited by mattebubben

How is this a boycott?

I buy a module if i think i will enjoy playing it.

I only play DCS in MP.

And i only play on a particular set of servers.

If i think i wont be able to enjoy flying the JF-17 due to the way the IFF is simulated why should i buy it?...

Im not telling anybody else not to buy it or that i Dislike Deka etc...

Im not demanding that they change it and cater to my desires.

Im just saying that with how the IFF is currently simulated it would likely cause me more distress then enjoyment if i were to buy it and play online with it.

:(

Yeah I can understand your reasoning. Multiplayer is probably more enjoyable where both sides are somewhat equal.

Regarding friendly fire, there is plenty of that in PvP servers already, sometimes even in PvE. The jets which do not have magic auto IFF function seems to do a lot of friendly kills. Back when hornet had a WIP IFF and the current Mirage's IFF tend to get a lot of friendlies killed.

I really like the amount of detail Deka have put into simulating this jet and would perfer if people who play mostly multiplayer and want everything on equal terms rather than simulated properly stay away from modules like this.

Not everyone has the time or patience to fully learn all the functions of the aircrafts. This is why we still have jets like FC3 in here.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

• 1 month later...

I'm having issues with this.

I use mode 6 and even use the A+B option like it's described in the guides, but I still get UNK on friendly F-18s all the time and it's lead to some frustrating team kills in MP.

There needs to be a better system, I'd rather just have a magic system for MP for now. Your either all friendly or all foe, it's just too hard to ensure everyone is setting their IFF right.

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

I'm having issues with this.

I use mode 6 and even use the A+B option like it's described in the guides, but I still get UNK on friendly F-18s all the time and it's lead to some frustrating team kills in MP.

There needs to be a better system, I'd rather just have a magic system for MP for now. Your either all friendly or all foe, it's just too hard to ensure everyone is setting their IFF right.

There is no way a mode 4/6 IFF can respond a hostile (red) contact(Yes, you can see the red contact on F/A-18, but it's not from your MODE 4 IFF reply, its a combination from multi-source) .

And friendly F-18 will always respond the correct reply (green) regardless your M6 key settings, planes other than JF-17 always use magic IFF unless in Mode 2. And there is no A+B key settings for M6, only ONE key at a time. The only way a friendly F-18 show as unknow(yellow) on your radar, is that you forget to turn on you interrogator, and your IFF symbol on RDR page will not be boxed if you try to interrogate.

The Deka's IFF tutorial on Youtube can give U more information on how the system works.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

I did all that and I'm still getting yellow Unk for friendly F18s in MP. I've read all the guides on IFF for the JF-17 and something is not right when interrogating in MP. I can't tell if it's the server's setting or lack of, but friendlies should always be green....and yes my IFF is on and boxed icon on the radar screen....

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

I did all that and I'm still getting yellow Unk for friendly F18s in MP. I've read all the guides on IFF for the JF-17 and something is not right when interrogating in MP. I can't tell if it's the server's setting or lack of, but friendlies should always be green....and yes my IFF is on and boxed icon on the radar screen....

Friendly DO always show as green for NON-JF17, unless U are messing with the mode2. IFF works fine in MP, no report or test showed the IFF has failed in MP.

And do noticed that the IFF reply will overlap the target at the next sweep, so if you are using ±60 degs RWS sweep, the IFF result can be really slow, a single "push" of IFF button may not showing the result, U have to hold the button for a while.

I'll try holding the button down longer to see if it helps.

Change the AZ to ±30deg RWS or ±25deg TWS will speed up the IFF result display for quite a bit. The radar sweep 65°/sec , so large scan vol can result a very slow IFF reply display.

I usually hold the IFF button for more than 3sec, or just bug any target in TWS, the IFF will start auto interrogation for the whole scan volume.

That makes sense. I had a better time with iff in mp last nite by using mode 1 and asking all the JF17 pilots what code they were using so I could set mine at that. It worked far better for me than using the mode 6, though I do want to try mode 6 again and just be more pt with the iff.

If the JF-17 is only on one side, M1 could be an easy way out, since all other plane only use magic IFF. Friendly JF17 with TRS off will show as yellow, so it can still be recognized.

Once JF-17 is on both side, M6 INTR should be used to prevent IFF hack, unless you are sure its not a JF-17(eg. by RWR or TGP).And all friendly JF-17 should turn on their M6 TRS.

• 3 months later...
If the JF-17 is only on one side, M1 could be an easy way out, since all other plane only use magic IFF. Friendly JF17 with TRS off will show as yellow, so it can still be recognized.

Once JF-17 is on both side, M6 INTR should be used to prevent IFF hack, unless you are sure its not a JF-17(eg. by RWR or TGP).And all friendly JF-17 should turn on their M6 TRS.

Is it still relevant?

M1 if there's no other JF-17, if not, M6? :smartass:

Most MP servers I flew have enabled the MAGIC IFF mode, which give a FC3 sytle instant IFF no matter what mode you are in. So basically after you turned on the IFF, mode is not important.