MiG-21Bis Dynamic Campaign: Guardians of the Caucasus

MBot

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult would it be to change the units in this campaign? Say I wanted to fly the same missions except this time, with the MiG-15 against F86's?

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^ I'd like to know this as well ?

Also are you planning to adapt this to other aircraft, like F-15 as player against red forces ?

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

Enjoying this campaign, but I can't seem to get beyond the first mission. I made the edit to the MissionScripting.lua like it says to do, and exit the mission using the F10 menu after I land, but it never updates the mission. I just keep flying the first mission over and over. Same result every time in both SP and MP. I like the first mission, but I kinda want to see the rest of the campaign. :helpsmilie:plz

I've been having the same Problem. Followed the instructions, but no 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' was created in the DCS World folder. I've discovered, that since DCS is installed on my boot drive, I need administrator rights, to create or change any files. Just tried running DCS as an administrator and it fixed the issue. Hope that helps.

Now excuse me, there is some fun to be had.

^ I'd like to know this as well ?

Also are you planning to adapt this to other aircraft, like F-15 as player against red forces ?

I do not plan to adapt the present campaign to other aircraft. I do want to develop the system further, but with the current map and aircraft do not see any more authentic scenarios that can excite me. I am eagerly waiting for the anouncment of Leatherneck's next jet and theater and hope that this will be something I can write a campaign for. The next iteration of my dynamic campaign will see the shift of mission generation from within the mission to outside DCS, which will allow better briefings and mission planing with true flight plans for clients (which is a requirement for any air-ground missions).

Changing aircraft for the present campaign should not be too difficult.

1. For clients, simply open the mission and change the client aircraft types.

2. For AI, you have to edit aicraft type in the default results lua file which is stored within the mission file.

3. If you introduce any new aicraft type, you also have to define payloads for that type, which is in one of the LUA scripts in the mission.

Of course, changing aircraft types will throw any historical authenticy and balancing out of the window. So no guarantee that the missions will be any fun or that the campaign progresses in any useful way.

I've been having the same Problem. Followed the instructions, but no 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' was created in the DCS World folder. I've discovered, that since DCS is installed on my boot drive, I need administrator rights, to create or change any files. Just tried running DCS as an administrator and it fixed the issue. Hope that helps.

Now excuse me, there is some fun to be had.

Good catch, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MBot and thank you for this great campaign :thumbup:

I made some "little" changes to play with friends a less challenging situation :

- first changes were simple : we were flying Su-27 ! Of course it was quickly too easy but we were new to Air to Air combat so it was a good way to begin and learn :D

- then I decided to go deeper into your campaign files and changed nearly all the planeset : F-16A, Mirage 2000, FA-18C (with only Semi active missiles) against Su-27 with reinforcement of F-16C and F-15C with AIM-120B later

I have few simple questions :

-Can I use B-1B rather than B-52 without script problems ?

-Is it possible to change side to play blue versus red massive attacks ?

I precise that i still play your original campaign because it's really challenging and interesting.

It's very difficult for us to play "simple" campaigns now so that's why I try to make different dynamic campaigns :music_whistling:

Thanks again

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

My apologies, I looked through the forums but couldn't find an answer to my dumb question. My friends and I would like to reset the mission and start over from Day 1. I've tried downloading and overwriting the current .miz file with a fresh one but no joy. I'm guessing I'm missing something. Thanks for the help and wonderful campaign!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube Facebook Twitter Twitch

My apologies, I looked through the forums but couldn't find an answer to my dumb question. My friends and I would like to reset the mission and start over from Day 1. I've tried downloading and overwriting the current .miz file with a fresh one but no joy. I'm guessing I'm missing something. Thanks for the help and wonderful campaign!

Here you go ;)

- The campaign is included in one single mission file. The first time a mission is completed, a file called 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' is created in your 'DCS World' folder. On subsequent launching of the mission file, the campaign loads the 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' and progresses from there on. Upon ending of a running mission, the 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' file is updated. To start a new campaign, delete 'MDC_campaign_results.lua'. To save a campaign state, make a backup of 'MDC_campaign_results.lua'. To load a campaign state, move your backup 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' into your 'DCS World' folder (overwrite the existing file if applicable).

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry to ask, but I am new with modding DCS. Where do I put the .miz file in order for the campaign to show up in game? I have the LUA edited as per the instructions, but I can't find where to put the file.

Thank you.

/users/username/saved games/dcs/missions

Ingame you will find the mission under the mission tab :thumbup:

g8PjVMw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this campaign. It is amazing work. I enjoy mission making but what you've done here is way beyond me!:book:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thankyou so much. This is great stuff!

I just flew a mission and the F5 enemy's of the first mission were just cruising while I shot them down. I assume this is just a one off bug and they should fight back in general.

Also my gun sight would not turn on. I'm pretty sure I did everything to turn it on correctly. Does this campaign have random failures?

I'm not sure the weather is generating correctly. When I end a mission it says the next day's weather will have cloud density 10 and precipitation. I've used the ME for weather and I'm pretty sure that should be overcast, right? Instead the weather was only partly cloudy.

Nevermind! Of course I am supposed to set the weather myself with the ME!:doh:

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else finding it impossible to taxi on the concrete surface at Vaziani near the shelters?

I mean DCS just generally has problems with the taxiway physics and the border with the ground but it's never been this bad. I'm not even near the edge and I get caught on a lip in the concrete or something right outside the shelter until my nosegear snaps.

I've tried it with 701, 702, and 703 (starting in different shelters) and get the same problem. I had to just edit the mission to start on the runway, hopefully this wont mess with any of the scripting.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the mig recently, was frustrated by the campaign so i tried this masterpiece.

First mission was a blast but unfortunally i can't see the weather for the next mission. Do i need to buy a bigger monitor (resolution ist 1440*900) or is the the problem some where else?

Unbenannt.thumb.png.5452d09d01399f9559535f5484290d41.png

I bought the mig recently, was frustrated by the campaign so i tried this masterpiece.

First mission was a blast but unfortunally i can't see the weather for the next mission. Do i need to buy a bigger monitor (resolution ist 1440*900) or is the the problem some where else?

Yes this is probably a resolution issue. When designing the briefing/debriefing I had to accommodate limited display space, but I did not consider that this is affected by different resolutions.

As a workaround you can open the results LUA file and get the weather information directly from there. If I wasn't too lazy, the variables are hopefuly commented :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MBboat thank you for your great work!

This is the first campaign i install in DCS and i'm sorry for a couple of rookie questions i have.

1. I don´t know where should i install it. Is it in User/Saved Games/xxxxxxxx; or in Mods/Mig21/Missions/Campaigns. The last option is the one where i installed, but:

2. When i go to the first mission is not a single player one but i get 6 slot options. I chose one of them but then when i take off i'm the only one up there trying to defend the airfield from an insanely number of attackers, and i'm not braveheart!

I edited the mission.lua in the scripts area, so i don´t know what im doing wrong.

Thanks you in advance.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

1. I don´t know where should i install it. Is it in User/Saved Games/xxxxxxxx; or in Mods/Mig21/Missions/Campaigns. The last option is the one where i installed, but:

I think it doesn't matter where you install it.

I prefer to put downloaded missions and campaigns into Saved Games\DCS\Missions, but there's no rule against putting them in the Mods-folder of your DCS installation.

2. When i go to the first mission is not a single player one but i get 6 slot options. I chose one of them but then when i take off i'm the only one up there trying to defend the airfield from an insanely number of attackers, and i'm not braveheart!

There are several client slots so that the same mission can be used in SP and MP. Just pick one and it'll be fine.

As I recall it, there are usually several other AI flights to help you. Some of them may take off quickly, other may take a little longer to spawn. If that happens, you could wait some time until they're airborne so you don't have to face the enemy all alone (but you also need to be careful who you shoot, things will get confusing quickly ;)).

Yurgon is exactly right. Also you should not feel obliged to destroy every enemy around. The NATO strike packages are usually fairly impressive. Sometimes you will meet them in strength, sometimes you will be vastly outnumbered (which is random). Then the missions almost have a North Vietnamese spin to them, where you try to ambush a target and then run like hell.

From a strategic point of view, air defense is not only about defending individual targets, but about inflicting unsustainable attrition rates on the enemy in the long run (while keeping your own sustainable). Guardians of the Caucasus being a dynamic campaign, this actually works :)

• Like 1

If you think you're alone you probably have "allied flight reports" turned off in the DCS options.