Maximum size for .dds texture (4096px ?)

Mav783

The only problem is when creating as psd in Photoshop. The storage process of the textures takes longer.

As long as you're still working on the skin, and use it for testing, you can save it as uncompressed.

It's way faster to save, but takes much more disk space.

4K, Color only, BC7 8bpp, Fine, no mip map : 16Mb, Saves in 3-5 sec.

With mip map : 21.3Mb, Saves in 4-7 sec.

4K, Color only, uncompressed, no mip map : 64Mb, Saves in <1 sec.

With mip map : 85.3Mb, Saves in 2 sec.

8K, Color only, BC7 8bpp, Fine, no mip map : 64Mb, Saves in 10-12 sec.

With mip map : 85.3Mb, Saves in 12-15 sec.

8K, Color only, uncompressed, no mip map : 256Mb, Saves in 1 sec.

With mip map : 341Mb, Saves in 3-5 sec.

For reference only (don't do this) :

16K, uncompressed, no mip map : 1Gb, Saves in 5 sec.

16K, uncompressed, with mip map : 1.3Gb, saves in 15 sec.

16K, BC7 fine, With mip map : 341Mb, Saves in 85 sec.

So, if you want to do a quick save to test in the model viewer(/in game), use uncompressed and disable mipmap generation. For the final version, compress using BC7.

Keep in mind saves times will vary according to your computer performances. With my former laptop, a 8K save with BC7 used to take 5 minutes. If I don't consider the safety shutdown to prevent overheat.

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Ok thanks for your answer Urbi.

Yep, some planes uses 4096px textures, but multiples "4096px files" can be used for one full part of the plane.

I hesitated to do that but it's not possible...Doing this mean to access the 3D models and remake the UVW map...And it's not possible.

So i think i will simply use the original one and upsize it in 8196x8196px, even if it's heavy.

I know it is possible with a .psd file...But i didn't know DCS can support such resolution in .dds. So ok.

And thanks Clorydric for ur advices ;) That will help me !

Edited by Mav783

You can use :

- photoshop (paid, a bunch of $$$ per month) with the Intel DDS plugin ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin )

- Gimp (free) with gimp-dds plugin ( http://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/ )

- Affinity photo (paid, one-time fee of ~50$ iirc) or any good picture editor, but you'll need to import/export in TIFF, and convert to/from dds with an external program.

Edited by Clorydric

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Guys...I'm so sorry, i have an other problem/question :

I donwloaded the .PSD file of the Mirage 2000C here :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158552

And theire is a difference beetwin the .PSD vesrion (and i need a .PSD files cause layers !) and the original one in game.

The PSD one have "albedo" texture where the original one have "sratched" textures.

And the blue color is not the same.

.PSD here :

Capture2.jpg

And the original one here :

Capture.jpg

You know if i can find a .PSD version that is closer to the original one ?

Thanks ;)