Option to save FPS with a low render zone at edges?

Tom Kazansky

This is not a wish or request but I've been following the VR HMD threads of the most used ones for quite a while and lots of people write about blurry edges that force them to turn heads further bc they can't recognise details at the edges.

So the idea and my question is:

Is it possible to implement a zone with selectable width at the edges that renders much lower details to save GPU (or even CPU?) power for a smoother VR experience without losing the resolution and details in the centre where they matter?

Certainly the result won't be as pretty as what we have now but maybe this could be a good trade for those who struggle with VR performance or have blurry edges anyway?

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Certainly it is called foveated rendering to be used with eye tracking, technology is currently being worked on I know by Oculus and am sure others also.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Certainly it is called foveated rendering to be used with eye tracking, technology is currently being worked on I know by Oculus and am sure others also.

Thanks. I heard about that and combined with the reports from lots of users about blurry edges I thought a "static foveated rendering" without eye tracking could be helpful lots of months or years before we get eye tracking in DCS or even before we get eye tracking with the most selling HMD manufacturers.

With a selectable width it would be at everyone's preference how much detail is sacrificed for a smoother experience.

Yeah, it might be worth it, it might not. I doubt ED is gonna sink the resources into developing it.

Honestly for me foveated rendering is the white whale of VR. I don't think its coming soon, and I think its much harder to actually implement than the oversimplifications are making out to be.

Maybe if NVIDA or AMD actually make a VR optimized card, FR might become "a thing". But I'm not seeing it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Harlikwin said:
Yeah, it might be worth it, it might not. I doubt ED is gonna sink the resources into developing it.

Honestly for me foveated rendering is the white whale of VR. I don't think its coming soon, and I think its much harder to actually implement than the oversimplifications are making out to be.

Maybe if NVIDA or AMD actually make a VR optimized card, FR might become "a thing". But I'm not seeing it.

Agreed. I fear and hope the same way. And that's why I wondered if it really takes too much effort to reduce rendering in a certain static zone at the edges.

My major concern is how large that zone has to be to have a significant impact on frame rate.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Pimax has it implemented and working for Nvidia RX users in DCS. On the other hand, Index users have almost perfect visibility at the borders so it will not be an option for us.

That's interesting. Both of the info. Any numbers of the FPS gain with the pimax? Or any screenshots of this running on a pimax?

Pimax has it implemented and working for Nvidia RX users in DCS. On the other hand, Index users have almost perfect visibility at the borders so it will not be an option for us.

Yes but true foveated rendering with eye tracking should certainly help performance, hence more eye candy to run. Probably still a ways off from that though, Oculus is still working on it with Half Dome technology - or at least they were as it was shown at the last OC6.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 11 months later...

Honest question. I have pretty darn clear periphery in my index and I’m happy. Other product users are complaining about blurry edges and seem unhappy. 
How would lowering resolution outside the sweet spot help either party?  Seems it would just make edges on all units blurry. 
thanks. 

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, Tom Kazansky said:

That's interesting. Both of the info. Any numbers of the FPS gain with the pimax? Or any screenshots of this running on a pimax?

8kx DCS VR standard settings SP The 3080 with FVR had 5 FPS more than 6800xt. Look at our big benchmark thread here.

If FVR is not fixed, it will add another layer of delay to it. Non fixed vs. fixed will not improve your FPS. It totally makes sense to use fixed FVR on headsets like pimax 8kx and G2, because the edges are blurry anyways. So why render that blur stuff in full quality?

Edit: Had a look at it in MP. There it looks different. Fixed FVR adds additional stress to the CPU (5900x) so ends in worse Framerates because the CPU cant deliver it. So fixed FVR with Pimax doesnt help in MP.

Edited by med0ra

| F-16C | FC3 | TM Hotas Cougar | CH Products Pro Pedals |

Pc1: AMD 5900x, RX6800xt, 32Gb 3600 CL19, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Pc2: AMD 2700, GTX 1080ti, 32Gb 3200 CL16, MSI x370 Gaming Carbon

Samsung Odyssey, Pimax 8kx, HP G2 (incoming), Pimax 5k+ (ex), Pimax 4k (ex), Vive Pro (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex)