Improved stability and dedicated server - Discussion

NineLine

Can the dedicated server only be seen by the open beta DCS install? I have the stable version on one PC, 2.5.4, and the dedicated server beta on another, 2.5.5. My PC with the stable version cannot see the server mission, but I can see stable version missions in my friend's PC. Is there a version compatibility issue?

486DX w/turbo button

Is there a version compatibility issue?

Yes, the client must be running the same version of DCS as the Server, or else it wont appear on the Server list and you wont be able to connect.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time I decided to create a map for the Cold War server in the Persian Gulf map after so many requests for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a server host has access to all the maps? I added the mission to the server's rotation, launched the server and seconds later the server crashed. Tried to open the web browser to monitor the whole thing and of course I wasn't able to. I simply went back to the "mission editor" folder, deleted the mission and now things are fine. I mean, I have the Persian Gulf on my computer, but not on the virtual machine I use to host the server. Surely I don't have to purchase the map again for that purpose, or do I?

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

For the first time I decided to create a map for the Cold War server in the Persian Gulf map after so many requests for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a server host has access to all the maps? I added the mission to the server's rotation, launched the server and seconds later the server crashed. Tried to open the web browser to monitor the whole thing and of course I wasn't able to. I simply went back to the "mission editor" folder, deleted the mission and now things are fine. I mean, I have the Persian Gulf on my computer, but not on the virtual machine I use to host the server. Surely I don't have to purchase the map again for that purpose, or do I?

S!

No need to purchase the map again if you are using the dedicated server version of DCS

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/server_beta/

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

No need to purchase the map again if you are using the dedicated server version of DCS

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/server_beta/

Apperciated. I'm new to the dedicated servers. Used to run the server differently over the last years, now I've got no other choice.

Cheers, buddy!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

So, another issue. The admin's name is "player" and I can't find any option where I can add some text for the server's description.

Any help is appreciated.

Still new to the dedicated servers. Trying my best :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 2 weeks later...

Aplenwolf that ones easy to fix create a file in your saved games\dcs\scripts folder called dedicatedServer.lua

and put this in it

net.set_name('YOUR SERVER PLAYER NAME HERE')
local res = net.start_server(serverSettings)
if res ~= 0 then
   log.write('Dedicated Server', log.DEBUG, 'Failed to start server with code: ', res)
end

whta would be nice is if ED could look into what is causing the mass of servers to have this issue when other instances on the same machine are communicating fine (and yes it's reported)

2019-08-02 13:00:39.703 ERROR   NET: HTTP request dcs:checksession failed with error 28: Timeout was reached
2019-08-02 13:00:39.703 ERROR   NET: Session check failed: 503

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

• 3 months later...
So, another issue. The admin's name is "player" and I can't find any option where I can add some text for the server's description.

Any help is appreciated.

Still new to the dedicated servers. Trying my best :smilewink:

The recent update added the ability to change the admin name on the WebGui

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My self and other members have noticed that online I do not get raw radar returns from hostile aircraft, and also have great difficulty locking them up. I flew the same mission off line and was able to easily get raw return from hostiles and easily lock them.

We've experienced this on other servers so we think its a net code issue. I hope this info helps.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Yes, very nice feature. :thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I apologize if already asked/responded. But does Dedicated Server work under Windows Server OS?

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

...does Dedicated Server work under Windows Server OS?

Same question? Any info about that?

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Guys,

Is it poor mission design or has this something to do with dcs.exe?

ca4e506add8d424ce2a50f96be28e5ec.png

We play all kind of missions, they all start fine. After a day its still doable, but after that we need to restart the mission. RAM is just going up, same goes for LAG.

Would love to just keep the mission running.

Few missions we play:

Through The Inferno (Georgian Coast) v1.58b

The Round Table - Dynamic Sandbox (Gulf)

Running ESXI 6.5 - With Windows server 2016 STD as VM.

Thanks,

Erik

• 2 months later...

Yeah, so I've noticed. Unfortunately, every time you restart the server for including updates or for whatever reasons the "admin's" name is gone and back to default - PILOT-23627 or something. Annoying. I don't think about the name every time I restart the server so it is a bit of inconvenience.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 3 weeks later...

What's wrong with the dedicated server lately? Quite often the server crashes out of nowhere. Whether 30+ players are online or a few it just happens. Sometimes I'm at work and the server's offline for hours before I come back home to check on it.

Please, check it out and Godspeed, ED :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

YOu should make sure to supply crash logs if you are seeing this sort of issue.

I always send the crash report immediately which is generated automatically after a server crash. Thought that does the work actually.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, so I've noticed. Unfortunately, every time you restart the server for including updates or for whatever reasons the "admin's" name is gone and back to default - PILOT-23627 or something. Annoying. I don't think about the name every time I restart the server so it is a bit of inconvenience.

I found a guide somewhere (I can't remember where unfortunately), but it basically said the following:

1) Create a file called 'dedicatedServer.lua' in ...\Saved Games\DCS.server\Scripts\

2) In this file copy/paste the following:

net.set_name('NAME')

local res = net.start_server(serverSettings)

if res ~= 0 then

log.write('Dedicated Server', log.DEBUG, 'Failed to start server with code: ', res)

end

3) Then just replace 'NAME' with whatever you want. Save. Start server.

It works for me.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone experiencing lag in your servers?

Today we were 4 people on my DS and the lag was a mess.

I have 6mbps of upload, I checked the bandwidth and it was using only 160KB/s, but the lag was serious, we couldn't do any AAR.

The pc of the server is an i7 2600k with 16GB of RAM.

Edited by Ignition

Is anyone experiencing lag in your servers?

Today we were 4 people on my DS and the lag was a mess.

I have 6mbps of upload, I checked the bandwidth and it was using only 160KB/s, but the lag was serious, we couldn't do any AAR.

The pc of the server is an i7 2600k with 16GB of RAM.

Try to remove ALL carriers (Stennis, Tarawa etc) or even all the ships - fixed the lags on our server

Anyone now notice after todays update that the Dedicated server loading screen is pure white? Its happened on all of mine, and persists even after a reboot

-Risky ; Wildcats

Specs: AMD 3900X, Aorus Elite X570, 48GB, MSI 1080Ti, PCIe SSD, X56, Valve Index