Su33 recent carrier landing information

ruddy122

For the video: You can press '1' multiple times to switch to landing mode and press 'LCTRL + ~' to select the carrier. Use the big circle to navigate toward the carrier till you find a small circle popped-up, indicating your ILS deviation. You can use it as 'ball' reference since the ball on kutz is barely perceivable.

Position yourself so that the small circle is in the center of the HUD, meaning you're on glidepath and lined up. If you did it right the big circle and the small circle will both in the center. Do not chase them however.

Try to keep in the glideslope and on-speed AOA at least 1.4km (3/4nm) from the carrier. IRL that's the range to call the ball. In the video you flew too low and there's barely any time for you to adjust to landing glideslope.

Fly the ball and AOA as always.

Thanks; I tried without autothrust and on the third (or fourth?) attempt I managed barely, with an "over-G" warning though. The main wheels were slightly out of alignment...

It's quite challenging though as the drag with flaps and gear out is tremendous, and I find it hard to keep the speed at 250.

Questions:

1. Your picture shows the large and small circle in white I see only green circles. Are your pictures from a different aircraft?

2. You quote the command 'LCTRL + ~'. I suppose you have a UK keyboard and you are referreing to the Communication menu?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It's quite challenging though as the drag with flaps and gear out is tremendous, and I find it hard to keep the speed at 250.

FWIW, I find that if I keep the longitudinal velocity arrow centered and watch the trend (slow increase or decrease in digital speed readout) I can easily manage the throttle with gentle nudges in the appropriate direction (X-52).

Questions:

1. Your picture shows the large and small circle in white I see only green circles. Are your pictures from a different aircraft?...

Certainly different from the aircraft we're flying, anyway. There's a velocity vector displayed on the HUD in addition to the different color.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Certainly different from the aircraft we're flying, anyway. There's a velocity vector displayed on the HUD in addition to the different color.

I believe the top image is a MiG-29K landing on the INS Vikramaditya, the bottom would be a J-15 landing on the Liaoning.

Questions:

1. Your picture shows the large and small circle in white I see only green circles. Are your pictures from a different aircraft?

2. You quote the command 'LCTRL + ~'. I suppose you have a UK keyboard and you are referreing to the Communication menu?

1. The first picture is a Mig29K HUD image and I drew the su33 symbol with white line on top of it. Just to show how the HUD would look like with carrier insight.

Now I think I found a video on YouTube which did the approach quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s_S-wA3ygw

2. '~' is the key right below 'ESC' and to the left of '1' key in most UK/US keyboard.

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

2. '~' is the key right below 'ESC' and to the left of '1' key in most UK/US keyboard.

Not on my QUERTY keyboard.

I suppose you're referring to the command "Next waypoint, airfield or target?" In Options / Commands that's "LCtrl + `".

The fact that DCS doesn't show the equivalent character that you have to use on the respective local keyboards is sometimes frustrating. I use a German keyboard, and sometimes I'm obliged to grab my old QUERTY keyboard to find the right translation. And sometimes even that doesn't work because the key arrangement is not 100% equal.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...