Unplayable frame rate after update in 2.1.1

Xxx

I just updated to 2.1.1.8422.

Before the update I got 40-70 FPS in Normandy. Now its a stutter fest! I see 10 FPS, with extreme stuttering going on? This is with the exact same mission I made as before.

Granted the HUD is readable now after the update, trouble is its unplayable in Normandy on 2.1.1.8244

Sorry, but some thing went seriously wrong here?

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I have the opposite conclusion for me it relly runs better than before, as I am VR i see performance gains instantly (or lack of it). Try to delete shaders in savegame folder;) It is a good practice after any update;)

I have the opposite conclusion for me it relly runs better than before, as I am VR i see performance gains instantly (or lack of it). Try to delete shaders in savegame folder;) It is a good practice after any update;)

Is that the metashaders folder?

• 2 weeks later...
I just updated to 2.1.1.8422.

Before the update I got 40-70 FPS in Normandy. Now its a stutter fest! I see 10 FPS, with extreme stuttering going on? This is with the exact same mission I made as before.

Granted the HUD is readable now after the update, trouble is its unplayable in Normandy on 2.1.1.8244

Sorry, but some thing went seriously wrong here?

Regards

David

+1

FPS @ Normandy is like 45, 40, 17, 55, 36, 22, 43, 16, ...

Even worse if the radar screen is active: 15, 1, 1, 1, 4, 27, 4, 12, 2

NTTR is better (but still not really playable).

• 2 weeks later...
How widespread is this? We're not seeing it locally, but will investigate.

There was an engine level (DCS) bug that caused severe stuttering which withheld the patch for a few days. It's possible this was not fully fixed.

To me it seems as if it is related to the (active) radar and the number of objects it (potentially) detects.

I started in the air somewhere over Normandy and got baaaad stutters (--> radar had to check a lot of ground objects all at once?).

An other mission, air start over the water - coast barely visible. Turned on radar and stutters were almost non-existent. Then i turned towards the coast and while I came closer, stutters increased. Then I reduced the radar range and stutters got better. But in any case, the stuttering was not as bad as in the first example (slowly adding new ground objects to be checked as I flew towards the coast?)

Third test, now over Nevada (far away from Vegas): occassional stutter, but playable after some seconds (--> almost no ground objects at all?)

Note: every time there were no AI units involved. Only the map, the Viggen and myself.

To me it looks as if the radar code iterating through all (static) objects within the LOS of the radar causes this.

To me it seems as if it is related to the (active) radar and the number of objects it (potentially) detects.

Yes, same experience here. When I face in the direction of some 100 units (spread over a large area), the frame rate drops from around 60 to 40-45. Radar off, fps 60 again. Radar On, turn my nose 90 degrees away, and framerate stays at 60+. I then turned 90 degrees further, leveled off again, fps still 60+, 90 degrees again, 60 fps, and 90 degrees, 40-45.

This was in 1.57, today's update. Same experience prior to today's update.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I was curious if this was something local, and a 1.57 / 2.1 issue, so I installed Open Beta and rolled it back to 1.5.6.5199, using the exact same settings as in 1.57, and the same sandbox mission.

It happens there too, but the overall performance (tested with other planes too) is much better in 1.56, so I personally just never payed attention to the Viggen radar, causing a drop in frame rate, cause it didnt go below 45 fps, which becomes really bad in VR. But in 1.57 it does - and 2.1.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 2 weeks later...
How widespread is this? We're not seeing it locally, but will investigate.

There was an engine level (DCS) bug that caused severe stuttering which withheld the patch for a few days. It's possible this was not fully fixed.

I have this issue too. I've found a considerably stutter mostly when turning from taxiway to the runway. I know it can sound strange :)

Edited by Fishbed-21

Pain is weakness leaving your body...

My Hangar:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

- CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60GHz to 5.00GHz

- MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390

- GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX 2080 SUPER OC 8GB

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (8GB x4)

- Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

- PSU: ASUS ROG THOR 850W

- Monitor: ASUS ROG XG248Q

- Case: ASUS ROG HELIOS

- Mouse: ASUS ROG CHAKRAM

- Keyboard: ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE

- Headset ASUS ROG DELTA

- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog SN #95039

• 4 weeks later...
I have this issue too. I've found a considerably stutter mostly when turning from taxiway to the runway. I know it can sound strange :)

Having same issue...

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

• 1 month later...

After the latest 2.1. update, yes, the Viggen is still unflyable over Normandy (i.e. with radar turned on). Can't recall if I mentioned this earlier: Nevada is not smooth either (but a bit better than before latest patch?), but far better than Normandy.

Normandy seems to be a bit rougher on the frame rates in general, no matter which aircraft used. So it seems, that specifically the combination of Viggen and Normandy is the culprit here.

We will investigate this and fix it. It seems rare and perhaps specific CPU/thread dependent.

i5 2500K 3.3 GHz, 16 GM RAM, Win7

(What other/further information could I provide here?)

I am a noob here, but maybe I should experiment with some hyperthreading / CPU affinity / other CPU voodoo settings?

i5 2500K 3.3 GHz, 16 GM RAM, Win7

(What other/further information could I provide here?)

I am a noob here, but maybe I should experiment with some hyperthreading / CPU affinity / other CPU voodoo settings?

Don't waste ?your time tweaking. I have done that ever since DCS 2.0 was released, only to find that it leads nowhere.

Problem is that tæhe game engine needs to be optimsed deep in it's core and seemingly nlt alot of effort has been put into that.

The Nornabdy map has been iut for 1/2 a year now and not much has ben done to it as far as I can see.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, I could narrow it down quite a bit:

I monitored the memory consumption in the task manager while flying over Normandy. With the radar turned on, I get quite a lot of paging errors which directly correlate with the stuttering in-game. After some investigation I noticed that I've set my virtual memory to fixed 16 GB! :doh:

Don't ask, I did that a loooong time ago... and never really had any issues so far.

Now I've set it to be managed by windows - and guess what: game play has significantly improved! :DI still get some laggyness at times, especially when the radar "sees" some terrain for the first time (i.e. performing a turn or just going up to a higher altitude). But all in all, and considering the fact that Normandy generally seems to be more rough than Nevada (let alone Georgia), the Viggen is now behaving not too terribly bad. :thumbup:

I noticed, that the other reporters in this thread all have 16 GB of main memory - same as me. Those who have no problems with this issue - how much memory do you have installed? I suspect more than 16 GB?

Anyhow, while this seems to be some sort of PEBCAK - having limited my virtual memory for no good reason - I still think that some optimizing the memory footprint of the Viggen radar would be in order (again: other modules never showed this behaviour, even with limited virt. mem).

• 1 month later...

Any more news on this problem?

Wanted to test the new campain for the Viggen but cannot play NTTR at the moment due to the radar problem.

Have done some testing and as soon as I turn on radar (with range more then 15) I get 1-10fps.

This is due to 100% disk access to DCS folder.

Turn off radar and fps returns.

The file being read is "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface\Nevada.surface5" 3,4Gb big. (Normandy has a 6Gb file maybe thats why some have even more problem with that map)

See attached picture of the diskaccess during radar on.

/illern

Edit: v2.2 alpha

Disk with game is 2 SATA3 HDD in Striped raid.

Using Oculus rift.

1399184350_viggennttrradar.thumb.png.51b1d48b7a7e449778bd7e35c4d8a22a.png

Edited by illern

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

Nevermind your talking about the radar....

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Any more news on this problem?

Wanted to test the new campain for the Viggen but cannot play NTTR at the moment due to the radar problem.

Have done some testing and as soon as I turn on radar (with range more then 15) I get 1-10fps.

This is due to 100% disk access to DCS folder.

Turn off radar and fps returns.

The file being read is "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface\Nevada.surface5" 3,4Gb big. (Normandy has a 6Gb file maybe thats why some have even more problem with that map)

See attached picture of the diskaccess during radar on.

/illern

Edit: v2.2 alpha

Disk with game is 2 SATA3 HDD in Striped raid.

Using Oculus rift.

There is probably some sort of raycaster reading issue going on (i.e. checking surface type or similar). We're trying to reproduce a fix.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

There is probably some sort of raycaster reading issue going on (i.e. checking surface type or similar). We're trying to reproduce a fix.

I manage to do a workaround for this that works on my machine at least.

Since I don´t have space on my SSD for the whole DCS I have it installed on the striped raid array.

But I did move the folder "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface" to the SSD and made an Symbolic hardlink to it instead. Now it reads the surface file from the SSD and the rest of DCS on the array.

Now I can use the radar without any problems at all.

Here is how I did it:

1. Copy folder Surface from path above to a new folder on the SSD. I made mine "C:\Hardlinks\DCS2\Nevada\Surface"

2. Rename original folder to Surface_old

3. Open up Command prompt as administrator

4. Make a hardlink directory in the original path that points to the new path.(/J is for Directory junction aka Hard symlink)

mklink /J "D:\Spel\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface" "C:\Hardlinks\DCS2\Nevada\Surface"

Exchange the path for your path. First is the new link and second is the new folder location.

5. Now you have a folder shortcut named Surface that points to another location but Windows thinks the files are still in original place.

The mklink command is explained on this site where I took it from.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

/illern

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

I manage to do a workaround for this that works on my machine at least.

Since I don´t have space on my SSD for the whole DCS I have it installed on the striped raid array.

But I did move the folder "Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface" to the SSD and made an Symbolic hardlink to it instead. Now it reads the surface file from the SSD and the rest of DCS on the array.

Now I can use the radar without any problems at all.

Here is how I did it:

1. Copy folder Surface from path above to a new folder on the SSD. I made mine "C:\Hardlinks\DCS2\Nevada\Surface"

2. Rename original folder to Surface_old

3. Open up Command prompt as administrator

4. Make a hardlink directory in the original path that points to the new path.(/J is for Directory junction aka Hard symlink)

mklink /J "D:\Spel\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Surface" "C:\Hardlinks\DCS2\Nevada\Surface"

Exchange the path for your path. First is the new link and second is the new folder location.

5. Now you have a folder shortcut named Surface that points to another location but Windows thinks the files are still in original place.

The mklink command is explained on this site where I took it from.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

/illern

Thanks for this, worth a try!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5